Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Latest 'leak' - essentially looks like a T2/3 type thing from Easter.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...ree-month-halfway-house-lockdown-easter-over/

Britain faces a three-month lockdown "halfway house" after Easter, with a full reopening delayed until all over-50s have had their second dose of the vaccine, The Telegraph understands.

Ministers are considering proposals to begin reopening swathes of the economy in April under similar restrictions to those in place over the summer, with “rule of six” and social distancing measures in force in pubs and restaurants.

A return to full normality will be delayed for at least 12 to 14 weeks to allow for all over-50s to have their second dose of the vaccine, according to a source familiar with the discussions.

Ministers are keen to reopen hospitality venues in some capacity before the G7 summit in the second week of June, when the UK will host world leaders in Carbis Bay, Cornwall.

National measures will be eased in advance of the summit, allowing pubs, restaurants and tourism to begin to trade again.

Boris Johnson has previously suggested that England will return to the geographic tier system after the lockdown ends, but sources suggested the tiers may apply to the whole country rather than to specific areas.

“The appetite for regional tiers will only come if you have large swathes of the country that are significantly lower in case numbers and new variant case numbers and hospitalisations,” a source said.
All over 50s to have their 2nd dose with 14 weeks ? That is very probably old news that I have missed but it is a very nice thing to hear. :rock:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
No I don't have any evidence and if you read my original post you quoted you will see that I was speculating as to whether or not this will happen. Scientists have publically said they do not yet understand but as more people get vaccinated we will get this data, in theory even despite lockdown as more people get vaccinated if it is true that it lessens or eliminates your ability to pass on the virus we should start to see a fairly substantial drop in daily case numbers. Lets hope this is the case as if it is our route back to a new normal will be much quicker than if the vaccine does not stop the spread.

Please don't use those two words together, it depresses me even more...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's your own fault if you are old and fat, apparently.

gave reasons for high death rate, Piers turns that into an ambush question. no wonder they dont want to do GMB. the answer to the question is of course yes, age and obesity are factors. but why follow that instead of turning it back on to government policy?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
gave reasons for high death rate, Piers turns that into an ambush question. no wonder they dont want to do GMB. the answer to the question is of course yes, age and obesity are factors. but why follow that instead of turning it back on to government policy?

Ambush? Are interviewers not allowed to ask harsh questions of our leaders, nowadays?

Bring back Robin Day.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's your own fault if you are old and fat, apparently.

[tweet]1353624873659199488[/tweet]

I have to admit I haven't watched the clip so don't know the context but....who's fault is it that I'm a bit overweight, if not me?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have to admit I haven't watched the clip so don't know the context but....who's fault is it that I'm a bit overweight, if not me?

Some people are overweight because of laziness and overeating. Some are overweight because they are disabled or have thyroid problems.

Getting old isn't really a choice because the alternative is worse.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ambush? Are interviewers not allowed to ask harsh questions of our leaders, nowadays?

Bring back Robin Day.

absolutly, if only it was a harsh question on what policy is or why it hasnt been succesful. it was loaded question, setup for the minister to say yes, the publics at fault because they're fat and old, or no and backtrack on what they'd just said.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some people are overweight because of laziness and overeating. Some are overweight because they are disabled or have thyroid problems.

Let's be honest - the vast majority are the former. Obviously anyone who is overweight - even with a very healthy diet due to other factors outside of their control - has my complete sympathy.

I remember seeing a study that suggested thyroid problems account for something like 0.3-0.5% of obesity.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let's be honest - the vast majority are the former. Obviously anyone who is overweight - even with a very healthy diet due to other factors outside of their control - has my complete sympathy.

I remember seeing a study that suggested thyroid problems account for something like 0.3-0.5% of obesity.

Read up about Hashimotos disease, and Thyrotoxicosis.
I suffer from the former as well as an autoimmune disease. Until I had that I was 9 and half stone for the majority of my life.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
absolutly, if only it was a harsh question on what policy is or why it hasnt been succesful. it was loaded question, setup for the minister to say yes, the publics at fault because they're fat and old, or no and backtrack on what they'd just said.

She is a minister, and a paid politician. She is supposed to be on top of her brief. MPs are supposed to be able to handle loaded questions and most usually do, by deflection.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Read up about Hashimotos disease, and Thyrotoxicosis.
I suffer from the former as well as an autoimmune disease. Until I had that I was 9 and half stone for the majority of my life.

As I said - obviously the rare exceptions suggest as yourself have my full sympathy.

In the other 99%+ of cases, those who are overweight have chosen to eat badly and/or neglect exercise.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Happily saying 'Bollox' to that. I'm going back to old normal ... 100% g'teed

I am 57, but the first punk gig I go back to will be somewhere small and packed, and while in the mosh pit having my face pushed into a 6 foot sweety mohicans arm pit will never smell sweeter :)

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The minister said that part of the reason for high death rates was the age of the popualtion and the obesity of the population, and was part way through giving a list of things the government is doing in general to help young people, the unemployed, etc. Morgan interrupted and said thanks for giving some reasons, are you saying that the reason for high death rates is because the public are too old and too fat.

He knew perfectly well what the minister said, but wanted to be controversial and to make the interview about himself and what an edgy guy Morgan is. He had no interest in public information.

Morgan then had a bit of a battle talking over the minister because he was determined that his point was more important than hers, and especially (I suspect) because he didn't want her expanding on her statement that the reason there wasn't much time was because Morgan was late starting the interview.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The minister said that part of the reason for high death rates was the age of the popualtion and the obesity of the population, and was part way through giving a list of things the government is doing in general to help young people, the unemployed, etc. Morgan interrupted and said thanks for giving some reasons, are you saying that the reason for high death rates is because the public are too old and too fat.

He knew perfectly well what the minister said, but wanted to be controversial and to make the interview about himself and what an edgy guy Morgan is. He had no interest in public information.

Morgan then had a bit of a battle talking over the minister because he was determined that his point was more important than hers, and especially (I suspect) because he didn't want her expanding on her statement that the reason there wasn't much time was because Morgan was late starting the interview.

If that's what happened then that's daft and cheap point scoring from Morgan.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I said - obviously the rare exceptions suggest as yourself have my full sympathy.

In the other 99%+ of cases, those who are overweight have chosen to eat badly and/or neglect exercise.

I was querying your percentages. Thyrotoxicosis affects 2% of women alone. There are other forms of thyroid disease,

Older people find it hard to exercise with osteoarthritis. There are disabled people who cannot exercise as well. It isn't just 1% of the population.

Going back to Covid, it isn't confined to the old and fat, as Ms Coffey makes out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was querying your percentages. Thyrotoxicosis affects 2% of women alone. There are other forms of thyroid disease,

Older people find it hard to exercise with osteoarthritis. There are disabled people who cannot exercise as well. It isn't just 1% of the population.

Going back to Covid, it isn't confined to the old and fat, as Ms Coffey makes out.

I still feel you’re intentionally missing my point.

I’m clearly talking about the vast majority, not the minority. You seem to be trying to suggest I hold a viewpoint I’ve made clear numerous times I don’t hold. Not quite sure why?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I still feel you’re intentionally missing my point.

I’m clearly talking about the vast majority, not the minority. You seem to be trying to suggest I hold a viewpoint I’ve made clear numerous times I don’t hold. Not quite sure why?

No, I'm not intentionally missing your point. I feel very strongly about fat shaming people when we don't know their circumstances.

We'll leave it there.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, I'm not intentionally missing your point. I feel very strongly about fat shaming people when we don't know their circumstances.

We'll leave it there.

I also don’t agree with fat shaming people. You’ve completely misunderstood my point from start to finish.

Yes, for the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here