Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It’s woefully inadequate.

85% of folk abided by the rules in Lockdown 1.

The numbers of the bored, covid deniers, covidiots and ********s have swelled many fold. Young people wandering around supermarkets refusing to wear a mask.

Tougher laws were needed, enforced by police and supermarket security guards, no ifs or buts.

I don’t disagree with this

But I think you are missing off a group, those who are now having to go to work that didn’t in the first lockdown.

Some companies are now needing more staff to run, they can’t afford to shut down again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t disagree with this

But I think you are missing off a group, those who are now having to go to work that didn’t in the first lockdown.

Some companies are now needing more staff to run, they can’t afford to shut down again.

More businesses are running as normal now than in those very quiet weeks of late March and early April.

For three weeks the only vehicles were lorries and delivery drivers, and builders .... all the projects in our road carried on with a full compliment of roofers, scaffolders and trades. Until they ran out of materials.

This time the roads still have a fair amount of traffic.

I know you’ll say it’s businesses who need to survive, but public health experts talk of pandemic fatigue where say a third of the population are tired of it all and now do as they did pre pandemic.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Brexit ?

Moderna is a US Company, making it in the US. We weren’t expecting any before the spring. Trump purloined most of the initial stocks for the US.

Indeed. Pretty sure none of Europe is getting the Moderna vaccine til spring for that very reason. I assume the rest of Europe will be missing out because of Brexit too.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Over 1300 deaths, London in a state of emergency, and a third vaccine approved but can't be delivered until Spring because of Brexit.
Another day in paradise.

In terms of mass vaccination, which EU member state is currently doing better than the U.K.? Holland? France? Germany?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Brexit ?

Moderna is a US Company, making it in the US. We weren’t expecting any before the spring. Trump purloined most of the initial stocks for the US.
I think what The Fits is saying is that if we had still been in the EU, we could have been dishing out the vaccine like the EU is.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
So the new Gov media blitz is stay at home and act like you do have the virus.

Strange thing is- their lockdown measures for this period allow far more activity than the March ones did. If we are at crisis point how can they justify that?

Loads of people still going out to work because everyone who can’t work from home is still going out this time around. Plus nurseries still open which must spread it just as much as a school setting.

I don’t know what is best to do- but telling everyone that they MUST stay at home, while running a less strict lockdown which allows much more activity and movement, is a mixed message.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
For example, London is at crisis levels, but loads of people still travelling to work etc. This is due to the rules this time vs March more than it is people breaking rules, I would suggest. If they want to reduce activity just go back to the March rules?

06f3189f8c9a670f48fff6670f7f0358.jpg

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Plus nurseries still open which must spread it just as much as a school setting.

Apparently not according to this article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55558742

There have been no cases at my son’s nursery since the beginning of the pandemic.

Also factor in much smaller groups and less mixing throughout the day.

Not saying they should not consider closing but being private enterprises they need to stay open so protocols have been stricter than they might be at an already overstretched school with many more children.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So the new Gov media blitz is stay at home and act like you do have the virus.

Strange thing is- their lockdown measures for this period allow far more activity than the March ones did. If we are at crisis point how can they justify that?

Loads of people still going out to work because everyone who can’t work from home is still going out this time around. Plus nurseries still open which must spread it just as much as a school setting.

I don’t know what is best to do- but telling everyone that they MUST stay at home, while running a less strict lockdown which allows much more activity and movement, is a mixed message.

Mixed messages. This government? No!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
I understand that the economic impact of measures needs to be taken into account along with the public health side. But if we are crisis point then I would think we would go back to the March measures. Presumably, at the moment they think it’s not bad enough to require that and they want to keep prioritising the economic side to some extent.

Maybe we will see further lockdown steps imminently.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

mixed messages or people overthinking? what people need to do is stop flouting the rules as they are, we wouldn't need harsher restrictions if people simply followed the basics. remember most infection is from the home.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I understand that the economic impact of measures needs to be taken into account along with the public health side. But if we are crisis point then I would think we would go back to the March measures. Presumably, at the moment they think it’s not bad enough to require that and they want to keep prioritising the economic side to some extent.

Maybe we will see further lockdown steps imminently.

Leaks, by leaks I mean briefs to the press - indicate you may get the extra restrictions you suggest.

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
mixed messages or people overthinking? what people need to do is stop flouting the rules as they are, we wouldn't need harsher restrictions if people simply followed the basics. remember most infection is from the home.

Most infection is from the home?? Not convinced that for those of us minimising social contact outside of household that there is much risk at all from the home. Maybe they are pumping it in through the pipes now though

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Most infection is from the home?? Not convinced that for those of us minimising social contact outside of household that there is much risk at all from the home. Maybe they are pumping it in through the pipes now though

At home people are much less likely to take precautions so if one member of the household picks it up, it's no surprise if they pass it on.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

I've advocated for a while now masks should be made mandatory in all settings including in homes where one or more members are regularly leaving the home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here