Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine approved but as a 2 full dose vaccine - 62% success. The smaller dose followed by a larger dose has not been approved yet as not enough data.

Reports suggesting that it will be deployed as a single dose first to as many as possible with 2nd dose coming 12 weeks later. It is believed that leaving a larger gap between the doses increases its effectiveness.
62% is very disappointing - particularly when the other vaccines are 90%.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
62% is very disappointing - particularly when the other vaccines are 90%.

Not really - more important to note that nobody in the trials needed hospital treatment (so whilst it doesn’t stop you getting Covid, it does stop you getting seriously ill).

Also, the 62% is only one of the figures being used and is based on two full doses - research is ongoing and it’s likely the dose regime will be flexed further down the line.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Lancing beach green rammed yesterday and I expect the same today. I imagine the majority of people are now only adhering to tier restrictions when they have no choice, no pubs open, no gyms etc.
They certainly don’t seem interested in social distancing, staying indoors, no non essential travel etc.

Through a combination of blurred lines, multiple tiers that make no sense, mixed messages and total lack of willingness to enforce the law, the government have lost this. They aren’t getting control back. God only knows what mess they will make of the vaccination program.

And while I’m here, what is this media campaign to make us believe it all gets better from midnight on Thursday? 2021 - the year we bounce back. And all that crap? We’ve got months and months of this left yet, if not longer. We may start to see some form of normality around July. Until covid 20 of course.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Lancing beach green rammed yesterday and I expect the same today. I imagine the majority of people are now only adhering to tier restrictions when they have no choice, no pubs open, no gyms etc.
They certainly don’t seem interested in social distancing, staying indoors, no non essential travel etc.

Through a combination of blurred lines, multiple tiers that make no sense, mixed messages and total lack of willingness to enforce the law, the government have lost this. They aren’t getting control back. God only knows what mess they will make of the vaccination program.

And while I’m here, what is this media campaign to make us believe it all gets better from midnight on Thursday? 2021 - the year we bounce back. And all that crap? We’ve got months and months of this left yet, if not longer. We may start to see some form of normality around July. Until covid 20 of course.

2021 is the year the fall out from lockdowns hits.

Mortgage payment holidays stopped

Etc etc

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
2021 is the year the fall out from lockdowns hits.

Mortgage payment holidays stopped

Etc etc

100% the government cannot keep giving hand outs. That’s not a criticism. No government could cover the fallout from this. 2021-2024, it’s gonna be rough as heck.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Hence why we are at record daily cases. The new variant may be more transmissible but you still have to put yourself in a situation where you are exposed to it in order to catch it.

God knows how people are going to act once they have the vaccine given they are potentially still able to pass it on to those who haven’t had the jab.

The government have been far too lax on those ignoring the rules.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Isn’t 62 percent higher than flu vaccines?

not a fair comparison. flu is a moving target with different strains floating around, so might be effective against the one targeted while others prevalent. mucks up the stats as cases just marked as influenza, not by strain, so varies wildly year to year. anything over 50% is considered good enough, especially if resistance leading to milder symptoms.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
People getting way ahead of themselves.on the vaccine. Heard Welsh health minister Vaughan Gethjing put it more realistically. To vaccinate the entire adult population by Easter is nigh on impossible and he didn't think we could really ease restrictions until everyone has been vaccinated, probably towards the end of 2021 with a bit of luck and a fair wind.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Seems the government have decided to move the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine from 3 weeks to 12 despite Pfizer saying they have no evidence that the first dose is effective beyond 3 weeks. That seems a strange decision given the hurdles that the pharma companies have to go through to get approval in the first place.

Is this the first sign of this government inevitably ****ing up the vaccine program?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-news-live-downing-street-to-hold-oxford-vaccine-briefing-12174643

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
People getting way ahead of themselves.on the vaccine. Heard Welsh health minister Vaughan Gethjing put it more realistically. To vaccinate the entire adult population by Easter is nigh on impossible and he didn't think we could really ease restrictions until everyone has been vaccinated, probably towards the end of 2021 with a bit of luck and a fair wind.

we vaccinate 30m adults and children within couple of months every year, so seems reasonable for 55m adults by Easter with some extra effort. a stretch for two dose, hence the change 12 week schedule perhaps. maybe things are slower in Wales?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
not a fair comparison. flu is a moving target with different strains floating around, so might be effective against the one targeted while others prevalent. mucks up the stats as cases just marked as influenza, not by strain, so varies wildly year to year. anything over 50% is considered good enough, especially if resistance leading to milder symptoms.

My point is 62 percent is still good.

Very good

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

That’s the next moving of the goal posts.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So virtually all of England now in tier 4, I assume the few areas that are in tier 3 are only there to avoid a national lockdown.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I would say the bit about not easing restrictions is clearly nonsense given that the restrictions are about stopping the NHS getting overloaded and most of the people in hospitals are from the groups that will get vaccinated first.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I would say the bit about not eating restrictions is clearly nonsense given that the restrictions are about stopping the NHS getting overloaded and most of the people in hospitals are from the groups that will get vaccinated first.

Perhaps we'll do something different in England but it sounds like Wales won't ease restrictions until all of their adult population is vaccinated and they're already highly sceptical about that happening by Easter. It's a mammoth task, only a relatively small percentage get the flu vaccine which only requires one dose.

We also have to consider that these vaccination centres could in themselves become breeding grounds for transmission and there are no tangible benefits in terms of immunity for several weeks. So if someone were to contract the virus whilst getting their vaccine they would get no benefit from the vaccination. I think the government has over promised again, would be amazed if any tangible restrictions were eased until early summer and 2019 normality was with us in 2021 at all.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Perhaps we'll do something different in England but it sounds like Wales won't ease restrictions until all of their adult population is vaccinated and they're already highly sceptical about that happening by Easter. It's a mammoth task, only a relatively small percentage get the flu vaccine which only requires one dose.

We also have to consider that these vaccination centres could in themselves become breeding grounds for transmission and there are no tangible benefits in terms of immunity for several weeks. So if someone were to contract the virus whilst getting their vaccine they would get no benefit from the vaccination. I think the government has over promised again, would be amazed if any tangible restrictions were eased until early summer and 2019 normality was with us in 2021 at all.

Add to that, what consequences could there be by vaccinating somebody who has the virus? Possible further mutation?

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Seems the government have decided to move the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine from 3 weeks to 12 despite Pfizer saying they have no evidence that the first dose is effective beyond 3 weeks. That seems a strange decision given the hurdles that the pharma companies have to go through to get approval in the first place.

Is this the first sign of this government inevitably ****ing up the vaccine program?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-news-live-downing-street-to-hold-oxford-vaccine-briefing-12174643

I think it's the Oxford vaccine that 2nd shot can be administered up to 12 weeks later than 1st. The Pfizer change was to adjust the regimen that 2nd should be exactly 21 days after 1st.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Disagree. Once the elderly, vulnerable and key workers have been vaccinated and it’s had time to take effect, the number of people getting seriously ill, numbers going in to hospitals and ICU and dying will plummet, so restrictions will be able to be gradually relaxed as the NHS will be able to cope. End Feb seems realistic if the logistics are being put in place.

Biggest concern for me now is the fvckwits who can’t wait.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
So far in this pandemic we have had
“Significant Normality” by

Summer
Autumn
Christmas
Easter
Summer

FFS

Flopsy haired ****

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports