Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Small telegram from London.

The piss takers left a day or two before tier 4 only committing "a technical breach" travelling before the 23rd, many taking the new strain to other parts of the country.

Everyone with their eye on the local news knew the 23rd window wasn't gonna happen.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So a whopping 24 days after the last lockdown, we’ll be in the new lockdown.

And still some people think they work!

If you don't like the answer change the question.....

Lockdowns are there to suppress infection, not irradiate it. Clearly a pressure valve when the infection rises too much.

Throw in a new highly infectious strain and your belief the "last one didn't work" becomes completely irrelevant.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
West Sussex and the rest of East Sussex being considered for Tier 4 according to The Times today.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Only on Friday 18 December did the UK’s scientists conclude that the new variant had a moderately greater chance of being more transmissible than the original variant. Sauce: Every scientist who’ve spoken to the media to explain this throughout the day. A presentation by Dr Erik Volz of Imperial College on Friday also revealed the news.

The 4 governments then acted accordingly.

All 4 governments had eased Xmas laws/rules prior to that.

If Johnson failed by not having cancelled most of the Xmas easing of rules, despite not having the new information, then so did Drakeford, Sturgeon and the joint NI leadership.

How can they be excused in any shape or form, when they all share the same information?

That's the thing, they had, no argument. But that was a Boris Johnson driven decision - It was not something that Drakeford, in particular, wanted to do as you will see from the fact it was immediately a diluted version of only 2 households then reduced to 1 day with country in lockdown from the 24th. The devolved governments were always under pressure once we knew that Johnson wanted to save Christmas and be the festive hero. Drakeford has not been perfect (His banning of golf continues to baffle me) but he's shown leadership and resolve that Johnson would not recognise.

You know, if we're comparing leaders, the striking thing from me is how serious Drakeford has been throughout - No jocularity, no fantastical promises, no tussled by design hair and a squiffy tie. Just factual serious messaging.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hope so and send another message out not to mix indoors on the 25th unless absolutely required..

Yep......looks like we need a full lockdown asap....and then watching the news just now they show police breaking up a large house party in Leicester. The utter fvckwits organising these things need to be jailed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's the thing, they had, no argument. But that was a Boris Johnson driven decision - It was not something that Drakeford, in particular, wanted to do as you will see from the fact it was immediately a diluted version of only 2 households then reduced to 1 day with country in lockdown from the 24th. The devolved governments were always under pressure once we knew that Johnson wanted to save Christmas and be the festive hero. Drakeford has not been perfect (His banning of golf continues to baffle me) but he's shown leadership and resolve that Johnson would not recognise.

You know, if we're comparing leaders, the striking thing from me is how serious Drakeford has been throughout - No jocularity, no fantastical promises, no tussled by design hair and a squiffy tie. Just factual serious messaging.

Just your opinions.

I recall the media and non-cabinet MP’s from several parties goading/pressurising Sturgeon and Johnson (did Drakeford receive the same?) throughout November and early December with “Are you going to allow families to see each other over Christmas, they’ve been through enough already?”. Sturgeon in particular and some Scottish universities were attacked for proposals for uni students to stay on campus. Public, media and political pressure was huge. Remember too that the scientists only told all 4 governments on Friday 18 December that the new variant probably carried a greater risk of transmission.

Aside from your inevitable churlish bitching about Johnson, how do you explain Wales being the CV19 capital of Europe? Far lower population north Wales doesn’t not balance out the shocking metrics in the towns and cities of south Wales. Drakeford’s serious tone and purported gravitas have done nothing to prevent the astonishing numbers.

Imho the 4 governments have faced one huge factor beyond their control .... Covidiots and Covid deniers doing exactly as they please, particularly post Lockdown 1. The mayor and a public official expert for Merthyr were interviewed on the radio recently. Through sampled track n trace working back from outbreaks, they established that illegal gatherings in homes had been THE key factor.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Aside from your inevitable churlish bitching about Johnson, how do you explain Wales being the CV19 capital of Europe? Far lower population north Wales doesn’t not balance out the shocking metrics in the towns and cities of south Wales. Drakeford’s serious tone and purported gravitas have done nothing to prevent the astonishing numbers.

Imho the 4 governments have faced one huge factor beyond their control .... Covidiots and Covid deniers doing exactly as they please, particularly post Lockdown 1. The mayor and a public official expert for Merthyr were interviewed on the radio recently. Through sampled track n trace working back from outbreaks, they established that illegal gatherings in homes had been THE key factor.

I'm not sure there's any need to describe my comments as churlish bitching - I feel very strongly about what an appalling individual he is, just articulating that. I'm hardly alone.

That said, I agree, there's no doubt that people's actions are driving some of this, the behaviour of many in South Wales (and I assume in other parts of the UK) is astonishing, I've spent a lot of time in Swansea over the past few months and seeing packed out hairdressers without a mask in sight, people mingling in the pubs as normal was quite depressing. I called my father in law yesterday, he was round the house of one of his grandsons helping with DIY, passed over the phone to the grandsons girlfriend for a chat, I'm at a loss as to what to say, there's no telling some people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here