Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Lots of support for the government on here, its happening everywhere, dealt a bad had, what do you expect, split and divide on remain leave, on left right etc.

We all know this is complex, i don’t think anyone envies the politicians.

But that doesn't mean they aren't accountable for the decisions they make.

The uk has the 5th worst deaths per capita in the world. Have a think about it. And amongst the western world one of the worst GPD position over this period. Others can and in the vast majority of case have done better. Its perfectly reasonable and actually a necessity to be challenging this, regardless of back views.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
they didnt block lorries or other business travel in the spring lockdowns though, when feared infection was higher. hopefully the closure was due to weekend watch overreaction.

How much is this don’t to Johnson standing in front of the world and saying “we have super covid” instead of speaking to Macron first/at all

They seem pretty happy to open the border again now, I assume it’s after they revived data on new strain

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That’s been the same since March, especially on NSC.

Covid deniers and covidiots hate the government and scientists for telling them to do anything. For closing pubs, masks, you name it.

Whilst Remoaners and Corbynistas will always be bitter about the last GE result, so CV19 is their gotcha moment.
And everyone else thinks he's doing a great job?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Lots of support for the government on here, its happening everywhere, dealt a bad had, what do you expect, split and divide on remain leave, on left right etc.

The uk has the 5th worst deaths per capita in the world. Have a think about it. And amongst the western world one of the worst GPD position over this period. Others can and in the vast majority of case have done better. Its perfectly reasonable and actually a necessity to be challenging this, regardless of back views.

For me, the Christmas situation is typical of our government's handling of the situation throughout - an unwillingness to accept uncomfortable truths until it is too late. It was the same in March, it was the same in September and it's the same again now.

I appreciate that the government have more to consider than just scientific and medical advice - they have to balance everything with the deeply wounded economy and the nation's mental wellbeing, but the reaction seems to have consistently been one of "well, let's just hope that doesn't happen". Unfortunately, every time it has.

I do not doubt how difficult a situation this must be for senior politicians all around the world, but if there is a consistent theme it is that proactivity trumps reactivity. All of the countries doing relatively well have taken swift and hard action, before it became apparent that it was absolutely necessary. We have failed to do that, time and time again.

And I find that unforgivable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
BBC are once again a disgrace at throwing fuel on the fire of hypothetical future food shortages. Should be a law against inciting panic buying shirley?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55393076

funny isnt it, Today programme at ~7am had reports from supermarkets that there wouldnt be too much problem with alternative routes. BBC website prefers a tabloid style, so will find the sources to a negative story a few hours later.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think this is the key point here, most sensible people thought it was a barking idea - Johnson, ever the populist, trying to be the hero saving Christmas, wasn't having any of it until 6 days before and then bang, send the country in to chaos. It's incompetence on another level.

Only on Friday 18 December did the UK’s scientists conclude that the new variant had a moderately greater chance of being more transmissible than the original variant. Sauce: Every scientist who’ve spoken to the media to explain this throughout the day. A presentation by Dr Erik Volz of Imperial College on Friday also revealed the news.

The 4 governments then acted accordingly.

All 4 governments had eased Xmas laws/rules prior to that.

If Johnson failed by not having cancelled most of the Xmas easing of rules, despite not having the new information, then so did Drakeford, Sturgeon and the joint NI leadership.

How can they be excused in any shape or form, when they all share the same information?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Week-on-week comparison locally, T3 at least surely beckons :

87e70c074dc6936650fcb490eec6e16c.jpg

D

Deleted member 22389

Personally I think we will be in lockdown come January. Lots of cases at my wife's school leading up to xmas, her parents also tested positive last week, and on top of that my wife just got a message asking her to isolate for 7 days. Can only think that's because of the cases at school.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Week-on-week comparison locally, T3 at least surely beckons :

Yep, looking at that generally the greatest increases and highest numbers are those districts further to the south and east, and vice-versa. I'm surprised most of East Sussex is still in T2.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Only on Friday 18 December did the UK’s scientists conclude that the new variant had a moderately greater chance of being more transmissible than the original variant. Sauce: Every scientist who’ve spoken to the media to explain this throughout the day. A presentation by Dr Erik Volz of Imperial College on Friday also revealed the news.

The 4 governments then acted accordingly.

All 4 governments had eased Xmas laws/rules prior to that.

If Johnson failed by not having cancelled most of the Xmas easing of rules, despite not having the new information, then so did Drakeford, Sturgeon and the joint NI leadership.

How can they be excused in any shape or form, when they all share the same information?

Yes - but on the Monday before that, Hancock announced the new variant, and said it 'could' be behind the rapid increases in the SE. As another poster says, the mark of good leadership is to take action before it is absolutely necessary. The government could have said at this point 'We wouldn't advise you make any new plans for Christmas as we may have to change the rules once the scientists have looked at this in more detail'. That is - apply the precautionary principle. But no - two days later Johnson was mocking Starmer at PMQ about his calls for the very thing that then had to be brought in.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yep, looking at that generally the greatest increases and highest numbers are those districts further to the south and east, and vice-versa. I'm surprised most of East Sussex is still in T2.

I think you lot are basically guaranteed Tier 4 now as a result of them not putting Sussex in Tier 3 last week. 228% increase in Lewes in a week, and this is week-old data! God knows what it's like now, let alone when they're supposed to review the tiers again in a week or so.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/coronavirus-uk-covid-cases-and-deaths-today

That said pretty much everywhere is on the rise again, including Tier 3 areas, so it's hard to see anything but a lockdown.

But if this new variant is so infectious, will that work?

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I agree the virus has taken a toll virtually everywhere - New Zealand being an exception due to prompt action and geography - and some that did relatively well first time round have struggled in the second wave, Germany being the best example.

However the majority of NSC and I live in the UK so we get to assess our own government's response. First time round they did nothing to stop flights from infected areas (or at least quarantine passengers) and we shut down one and maybe two weeks late having seen what was happening in Italy and Spain.

They then actively encouraged people to eat out for a month before stopping it again. The PM was told by basically everyone to lockdown but decided to get cheap shots in with Keir Starmer in PMQ instead before eventually having to do it then a month before Christmas announcing a Christmas truce with the virus which no one I talked to about thought was a good idea before an embarrassing climbdown less than a week before the day, leaving it too late for many to make alternative plans.

While I agree with the broad sweep of the financial package three million were left with no help - although I am sure will be expected to pay for everyone else's assistance when taxes go up to pay for it all - and was extended a month at a time when people needed long term help.

Granted I think the development of the Vaccine has been handled well.

Call me or anyone a Remoaner as much as you like but Boris Johnson has been slow to act at every stage and constantly behind the curve. He is a populist who didn't have the nerve to sit in front of a TV camera and tell the country Christmas would be different this year until it was too late and he had no choice.

I was brought up under Thatcher and can in all honesty say I would have preferred every PM since ahead of him to be running the show at the moment. He idolises Churchill but will be remembered with Chamberlain as one of the worst PMs ever.

If he has an ounce of dignity or public service left in him he would resign but I won't hold my breath.

We did quarantine people arriving from China.

We should have extended it.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I know that some say that Fat Larry was a bit of a visionary with his song 'Zoom' but what about The Specials? "Spread the disease from the south China Sea to the beach hotel Malibu"

A chance to listen to this lovely old number.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here