Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
That’s been the same since March, especially on NSC.

Covid deniers and covidiots hate the government and scientists for telling them to do anything. For closing pubs, masks, you name it.

Whilst Remoaners and Corbynistas will always be bitter about the last GE result, so CV19 is their gotcha moment.

I think that is nonsense. Can only speak for myself but I have broadly agreed with what the government have done but rowing back five days before Christmas is completely unacceptable after practically everyone in the country predicted he would have to do it.;

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That’s been the same since March, especially on NSC.

Covid deniers and covidiots hate the government and scientists for telling them to do anything. For closing pubs, masks, you name it.

Whilst Remoaners and Corbynistas will always be bitter about the last GE result, so CV19 is their gotcha moment.

Probably not only on NSC... it pretty much looks the same all over the world. "Its all about the leader! We need a new one!" rinse and repeat forever wherever.

A couple of months ago Germany was seen as an example that good leadership could prevent this shit, now you dont hear a lot about it.

Liberal leader or conservative leader, lying leader or the next "definitely-not-lying until its obvious he's also lying" leader, lockdown or no lockdown, early restrictions or late restrictions, track & trace or yo' old grandma calling to warn you, populations eager to listen to authorities and populations that never will give a shit... result is the same. Its great fun for humans to throw pies around in all directions hoping something would change... unfortunately this virus is a lot smarter than humans and wont be bothered with that shit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think that is nonsense. Can only speak for myself but I have broadly agreed with what the government have done but rowing back five days before Christmas is completely unacceptable after practically everyone in the country predicted he would have to do it.;

NSC’s hasn’t altered since late March.

The same posters who were Remoaners have condemned almost everything done in England, with the few Corbynistas still bitter about the Dec19 GE result on a posting mission .... only stopped in their tracks by [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]’s brilliant idea of The Bear Pit.

Then we have the determined band of variously; Icke devotees, covidiots, people who don’t give a monkeys about passing on the virus to the elderly, it’s all about their curtailed pubs trips, meals out from multiple households. With jutting jaws “Na one tells me what to do”.

An unholy alliance of government haters, for completely different reasons.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Probably not only on NSC... it pretty much looks the same all over the world. "Its all about the leader! We need a new one!" rinse and repeat forever wherever.

A couple of months ago Germany was seen as an example that good leadership could prevent this shit, now you dont hear a lot about it.

Liberal leader or conservative leader, lying leader or the next "definitely-not-lying until its obvious he's also lying" leader, lockdown or no lockdown, early restrictions or late restrictions, track & trace or yo' old grandma calling to warn you, populations eager to listen to authorities and populations that never will give a shit... result is the same. Its great fun for humans to throw pies around in all directions hoping something would change... unfortunately this virus is a lot smarter than humans and wont be bothered with that shit.

:goal:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I agree the virus has taken a toll virtually everywhere - New Zealand being an exception due to prompt action and geography - and some that did relatively well first time round have struggled in the second wave, Germany being the best example.

However the majority of NSC and I live in the UK so we get to assess our own government's response. First time round they did nothing to stop flights from infected areas (or at least quarantine passengers) and we shut down one and maybe two weeks late having seen what was happening in Italy and Spain.

They then actively encouraged people to eat out for a month before stopping it again. The PM was told by basically everyone to lockdown but decided to get cheap shots in with Keir Starmer in PMQ instead before eventually having to do it then a month before Christmas announcing a Christmas truce with the virus which no one I talked to about thought was a good idea before an embarrassing climbdown less than a week before the day, leaving it too late for many to make alternative plans.

While I agree with the broad sweep of the financial package three million were left with no help - although I am sure will be expected to pay for everyone else's assistance when taxes go up to pay for it all - and was extended a month at a time when people needed long term help.

Granted I think the development of the Vaccine has been handled well.

Call me or anyone a Remoaner as much as you like but Boris Johnson has been slow to act at every stage and constantly behind the curve. He is a populist who didn't have the nerve to sit in front of a TV camera and tell the country Christmas would be different this year until it was too late and he had no choice.

I was brought up under Thatcher and can in all honesty say I would have preferred every PM since ahead of him to be running the show at the moment. He idolises Churchill but will be remembered with Chamberlain as one of the worst PMs ever.

If he has an ounce of dignity or public service left in him he would resign but I won't hold my breath.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree the virus has taken a toll virtually everywhere - New Zealand being an exception due to prompt action and geography - and some that did relatively well first time round have struggled in the second wave, Germany being the best example.

However the majority of NSC and I live in the UK so we get to assess our own government's response. First time round they did nothing to stop flights from infected areas (or at least quarantine passengers) and we shut down one and maybe two weeks late having seen what was happening in Italy and Spain.

They then actively encouraged people to eat out for a month before stopping it again. The PM was told by basically everyone to lockdown but decided to get cheap shots in with Keir Starmer in PMQ instead before eventually having to do it then a month before Christmas announcing a Christmas truce with the virus which no one I talked to about thought was a good idea before an embarrassing climbdown less than a week before the day, leaving it too late for many to make alternative plans.

While I agree with the broad sweep of the financial package three million were left with no help - although I am sure will be expected to pay for everyone else's assistance when taxes go up to pay for it all - and was extended a month at a time when people needed long term help.

Call me or anyone a Remoaner as much as you like but Boris Johnson has been slow to act at every stage and constantly behind the curve. He is a populist who didn't have the nerve to sit in front of a TV camera and tell the country Christmas would be different this year until it was too late and he had no choice.

I was brought up under Thatcher and can in all honesty say I would have preferred every PM since ahead of him to be running the show at the moment. He idolises Churchill but will be remembered with Chamberlain as one of the worst PMs ever.

If he has an ounce of dignity or public service left in him he would resign but I won't hold my breath.

As lifelong anti Tory and a Remainer, that will always sway any judgement you have on any Tory government and its actions. It will cloud everything, you’ve never in a month of Sunday’s going to be full of praise. Like many on here from both ends of the party political and Brexit debate, a genuinely balanced critique is impossible to obtain.

Pandemic chaos, u-turns, infighting has been experienced across Europe throughout, yet earlier this year some NSC’ers championed Macron and Sturgeon as decisive and effective compared to the purported singularly awful handling of CV19 in England. Turns out they have awful CV19 metrics too, Macron faces record low polling. It’s easy to follow a UK media mood music of everything’s crap here, but there’s an ever diminishing pool of governments in the west are looking good right now. Unprecedented global events, economic versus life judgements, inevitably misjudgments have been made.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Great post

This all feels like some of the companies I have worked for

As soon as Johnson started to worm his way towards power, some of us could see where this would all end up

Most CEO’s can get a highly paid post, feck it up, and then disappear to the next one, leaving everyone else to pick up the pieces

Johnson will be gone before too long, but my country and most of the people within it, will be picking up the pieces for many many years

It is all desperately sad, but so, so predictable.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
As lifelong anti Tory and a Remainer, that will always sway any judgement you have on any Tory government and its actions. It will cloud everything, you’ve never in a month of Sunday’s going to be full of praise. Like many on here from both ends of the party political and Brexit debate, a genuinely balanced critique is impossible to obtain.

Pandemic chaos, u-turns, infighting has been experienced across Europe throughout, yet earlier this year some NSC’ers championed Macron and Sturgeon as decisive and effective compared to the purported singularly awful handling of CV19 in England. Turns out they have awful CV19 metrics too, Macron faces record low polling. It’s easy to follow a UK media mood music of everything’s crap here, but there’s an ever diminishing pool of governments in the west are looking good right now. Unprecedented global events, economic versus life judgements, inevitably misjudgments have been made.

I can only speak for myself but I have never praised Sturgeon - who did sign up to the Christmas truce so is equally to blame - but Johnson's handling of the Christmas arrangements has been incompetent from start to finish and frankly I don't see how anyone can argue to the contrary.

But apparently Remainers aren't allowed a view in a democratic country anymore so don't mind me.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Did a pick up shift in Asda today and it’s utter carnage.

People seem to have been spooked by the issues at the border, hoarding overdrive.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just hope my mystery early december payday is before the run on fuel.

why would there be a run on fuel, piped or shipped in?

we've managed to get so obsessed about trade through Dover we ignore 80% goes through other ports. goods going to shops this week are already in the country anyway.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
why would there be a run on fuel, piped or shipped in?

we've managed to get so obsessed about trade through Dover we ignore 80% goes through other ports. goods going to shops this week are already in the country anyway.
The government's own no-deal Brexit report listed fuel shortages as a consequence. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the closed ports could result in similar. "Better safe than sorry" as the old saying goes.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The government's own no-deal Brexit report listed fuel shortages as a consequence. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the closed ports could result in similar. "Better safe than sorry" as the old saying goes.

i suppose if everyone takes the "better safe" approach, they create a panic and its self fulfilling.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It’s easy to follow a UK media mood music of everything’s crap here

I had a quick scan of the front pages this morning. The narrative in the tabloids around border closures makes it sound like other countries are punishing us.

It seems pretty sensible to me. Country A discovers a new strain that's nearly twice as infectious, countries B to Z absolutely need to take precautions to try and not import it :shrug:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I think this is the key point here, most sensible people thought it was a barking idea - Johnson, ever the populist, trying to be the hero saving Christmas, wasn't having any of it until 6 days before and then bang, send the country in to chaos. It's incompetence on another level.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I had a quick scan of the front pages this morning. The narrative in the tabloids around border closures makes it sound like other countries are punishing us.

It seems pretty sensible to me. Country A discovers a new strain that's nearly twice as infectious, countries B to Z absolutely need to take precautions to try and not import it :shrug:

they didnt block lorries or other business travel in the spring lockdowns though, when feared infection was higher. hopefully the closure was due to weekend watch overreaction.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

spot on. we did the same to denmark when the new mink strain was discovered

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
they didnt block lorries or other business travel in the spring lockdowns though, when feared infection was higher. hopefully the closure was due to weekend watch overreaction.

How much is this don’t to Johnson standing in front of the world and saying “we have super covid” instead of speaking to Macron first/at all

They seem pretty happy to open the border again now, I assume it’s after they revived data on new strain

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
What's that? Countries able to control their own borders overnight whilst remaining within the EU? Incredible! Still, better to spend 5 years ****ing the UK over to achieve the same thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here