Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Nearly 60,000 died as a result of lockdown ? I have heard this stated a few times by various people but would be interested to see the source for these figures. Thanks
We also need the figure of how many extra covid deaths there would have been without any lockdown at all.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We also need the figure of how many extra covid deaths there would have been without any lockdown at all.

Undoubtedly. It's just that to me 60,000 seems a remarkable number of deaths to be attributed to lockdown. As [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] stated 'almost as many non-covid deaths as covid deaths occured' as a result of lockdown, I'm intrigued to know where these figures come from and how they breakdown.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nearly 60,000 died as a result of lockdown ? I have heard this stated a few times by various people but would be interested to see the source for these figures. Thanks

i didnt say that number. have a look at ONS numbers, "almost as many" is an exaggeration however the data shows thousands of excess deaths not related to covid during the first lockdown.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Burton gives a stuff about peoples lives and that as much as we possibly can we should save peoples lives, which lockdowns do, if people have to suffer some curtasilments of their liberties for a short time then so be it. I'd get used to it if I were you as I think we'll be living with some sort of restrictions for many months and indeed years to come.

Months or years to come. I doubt it'll matter too much cos I doubt I'll live to see much of it. Months I can handle but years would be a real struggle

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

I suspect, like a lot of the figures bandied about during this crisis, it's a guess. There is very little evidence that the government has paid any thought to assessing the negative sides of lockdown, except possibly re. finances.

This Macmillan report says that about 50,000 fewer people have been diagnosed with cancer this year than last - a drop of 11% since last year. I don't think there is any evidence that the cancer incidence has dropped so dramatically, so I suspect (as they do) that it is people who have cancer but it is not being discovered.

A further 650,000 people have had their treatment for existing cancers affected

How many of them will die? Time will tell, I suppose.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/assets/forgotten-c-impact-of-covid-19-on-cancer-care.pdf

But what I am concerned about because it seems to be ignored is the effect on old people. Obviously by the time next March comes round about 600,000 people will have died in the normal way of things, most of them old people. If they have spent their last year in misery and loneliness, does it matter to anyone? I haven't seen much sign that it does.

Working people are not too badly off with this lockdown because they still see other people. They get out, they can speak to people at work. Retired people, especially the not-too-agile old, don't speak to people, they don't get out. People with dementia (nearly a million of them) are told in the normal way of things to live their lives as normal, get out, have a routine, meet people, speak to people. Now they are told to sit at home and see nobody - it can't be doing them any good.

I'm not saying what the answer should be - but I am saying the question should be asked. When assessing the lives saved by lockdown, they need also to assess the lives ruined, and see if it's worth continuing and in what form.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Burton gives a stuff about peoples lives and that as much as we possibly can we should save peoples lives, which lockdowns do, if people have to suffer some curtasilments of their liberties for a short time then so be it. I'd get used to it if I were you as I think we'll be living with some sort of restrictions for many months and indeed years to come.
God forbid. Even if the vaccine doesn't stop lockdown, it'll have to stop anyway because this can't go on for years. What would be the point? If you sit in a darkened room and never do anything, you might live longer - but why would you want to?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Had we not had lockdown then the hospitals would have been overrun and there would have been much more non-Covid deaths than has been caused by lockdown due to hospitals having to prioritise who to treat.

There are valid arguments to be had about the detail of the Government's approach but the broad sweep was correct.

Yoda

English & European

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
God forbid. Even if the vaccine doesn't stop lockdown, it'll have to stop anyway because this can't go on for years. What would be the point? If you sit in a darkened room and never do anything, you might live longer - but why would you want to?

I saw a WHO bod on BBC news last week who said it would be years until we get back to normaility, somewhere between 3-10 years was his best guess.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Because we only get one crack at it………....then its nothing.
Personally, lockdown or not, worst case apocalypse or not, I want to live as long as possible.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Latest figures from my sister are "113 in hospital, 10 on ICU" - I asked what sort of agesre being admitted - "all ages", she says they've got 800 beds, I'm not sure if she means that's just for Covid or if that's the total amount in BSUH.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Can't envisage there being much of a recovery before the next crisis hits. We're in an age of pandemics that will only worsen because of environmental destruction. The surprise was that this one wasn't worse, given how many near-misses there had already been.

Hopefully to avoid the next covid situation then masks and social distancing become the norm.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Hopefully to avoid the next covid situation then masks and social distancing become the norm.

That might be a good idea, but maybe a bit OTT?

What would what would ideally be better is that if something did happen in the future, people took things a bit more seriously and weren't such arrogant *****? ???

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Because we only get one crack at it………....then its nothing.
Personally, lockdown or not, worst case apocalypse or not, I want to live as long as possible.

Then by all means find yourself a nuclear bunker and stay there for the rest of your (hopefully long) life. I have no objection at all to that. It's not a life I would choose, but it's a free country. (Or at least, it was once, and I hope it will be again.)

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
But it makes life unbearable, especially for the old. This was my mother's social calendar before social distancing:

Tuesday - lunch with friends
Wednesday - knitting club
Thursday - lunch with friends
Friday - whist and Rummikub
Saturday - coffee morning
Sunday - church
Monday - day off.

With social distancing, none of that is possible. Even if they let you sit in a large well ventilated room together, at 6 feet apart conversation is impossible. A life lived where the only thing to look forward to is the next breath, soon becomes a life where you don't actually want the next breath. If all practical social interaction is stopped, there is for many people no point carrying on.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Johnson really is an idiot.

He’s basically announced there will be a lockdown/travel bans more in line with March in Jan, which means more people will use this window to move around the country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here