Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as Richard Burton has just said if we had locked down in September as the scientists recommended and continued this lockdown through Christmas and on into Spring we would have low case rates now and many people would not have lost their lives.

fewer lives lost, millions of lives ruined and as the economy tanked. and many lives still lost as people dont follow the lockdown anyway.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
fewer lives lost, millions of lives ruined and as the economy tanked. and many lives still lost as people dont follow the lockdown anyway.

All these things have happened anyway?? We need a strict rigid lockdown NOW and until the majority of the population have been vaccinated and there is clear evidecne virus transmission is very low as are hospitalisations and deaths.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
About 100 ventilators left in Sweden, after that we will need to **** do I know.

My mother mailed me earlier today, "forget Christmas". She is working in this elderly care home where 32 patients got covid-19 and she had to call the ambulance twelve times the last three days and most of the staff are sick as well. My uncles wife is also a nurse, never done emergency stuff but was transferred today to the covid care. My grandma got COPD and its a bad combo, no christmas this year. I'm not a tradition guy but its kind of crazy to hear about all the chaos going on outside of the dirty stinking prison known as my apartment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
as Richard Burton has just said if we had locked down in September as the scientists recommended and continued this lockdown through Christmas and on into Spring we would have low case rates now and many people would not have lost their lives.

"broad sword calling danny-boy, are you receiving me over?"

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Furlough extended till April.

They need to do a lot more than that to save companies now.

Suggests that restrictions on hospitality and leisure/tourism businesses likely until at least May.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
About 100 ventilators left in Sweden, after that we will need to **** do I know.

My mother mailed me earlier today, "forget Christmas". She is working in this elderly care home where 32 patients got covid-19 and she had to call the ambulance twelve times the last three days and most of the staff are sick as well. My uncles wife is also a nurse, never done emergency stuff but was transferred today to the covid care. My grandma got COPD and its a bad combo, no christmas this year. I'm not a tradition guy but its kind of crazy to hear about all the chaos going on outside of the dirty stinking prison known as my apartment.

Sorry to hear your situation, all I can say is that I hope everyone is washing hands, wearing masks and keeping their distance if at all possible and that the virus does not hit too close to home. We are now a week from Christmas Day and yet our government will not backtrack on the 5 day/three households meetups despite the increasing numbers of cases. We really need to effectively cancel Christmas, redouble our distancing and preventative measures and wait for the vaccine. Good luck, and try to keep as safe as you can and get through it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Suggests that restrictions on hospitality and leisure/tourism businesses likely until at least May.

Anticipating a post-Christmas, pre-vaccine lockdown it seems.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Anticipating a post-Christmas, pre-vaccine lockdown it seems.

Yes and not just a short time limited one but one that will be revised periodically but lasts for many months.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Matt Hancock in the Commons today - "No matter which part of Kent you're in we have a very serious problem in Kent and the only way that we can get it under control is for people in Kent to essentially behave as if they have the virus and are trying not to pass it on to someone else.

"Be really cautious in Kent it is the area of the country that has the biggest problem both in terms of case rates and in terms of, therefore, the huge pressures on the NHS in Kent."

Yet schools remain open, shops remain open, every ****ing thing remains open - apart from hospitality, and they are bleating they are hard done by - shut the county down, man the barriers to East Sussex before it's too late (which it looks like it already is)...

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
All these things have happened anyway?? We need a strict rigid lockdown NOW and until the majority of the population have been vaccinated and there is clear evidecne virus transmission is very low as are hospitalisations and deaths.

what is the obsession of some with hard lockdown - did you already forget the effects in March/April? please think it through, the consequences, lets say about about 3 months for your majority vaccination, that means many businesses will be gone. think of a business close to home, will you be content to see them go? how about the Albion, or the football league in general? we're treading water here, keeping a balance.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
what is the obsession of some with hard lockdown - did you already forget the effects in March/April? please think it through, the consequences, lets say about about 3 months for your majority vaccination, that means many businesses will be gone. think of a relative or someone close to home, will you be content to see them go? how about the Albion, or the football league in general? we're treading water here, keeping a balance.

Corrected for you!

And yes, it is about keeping a balance!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Matt Hancock in the Commons today - "No matter which part of Kent you're in we have a very serious problem in Kent and the only way that we can get it under control is for people in Kent to essentially behave as if they have the virus and are trying not to pass it on to someone else.

"Be really cautious in Kent it is the area of the country that has the biggest problem both in terms of case rates and in terms of, therefore, the huge pressures on the NHS in Kent."

Yet schools remain open, shops remain open, every ****ing thing remains open - apart from hospitality, and they are bleating they are hard done by - shut the county down, man the barriers to East Sussex before it's too late (which it looks like it already is)...

I’m sorry people “bleating “ about losing businesses they have spent a life time building offends you, businesses which the stats show isn’t the cause of infections

Hospitals and care homes are still driving the majority, maybe if the gov sorted these out instead of shifting the blame elsewhere.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Corrected for you!

And yes, it is about keeping a balance!

so we have to keep business running, people employed. yes some people will die before their time. harsh reality is the hard lock down caused almost as many non-covid deaths as covid deaths occured, so we know its not a good idea for keeping everyone alive either. people following simple guidance while keeping world open will be better to find that balance.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
so we have to keep business running, people employed. yes some people will die before their time. harsh reality is the hard lock down caused almost as many non-covid deaths as covid deaths occured, so we know its not a good idea for keeping everyone alive either. people following simple guidance while keeping world open will be better to find that balance.

Very easy to say, as long as "the balance" isn't one of your loved ones!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
And if we had shot everyone over 70 last March, hardly anyone would have died of coronavirus.

At risk of sounding cynical, has Richard Burton said this after a detailed cost-benefit analysis of lockdown and its effect particularly on the lonely old, and those suffering with dementia, for whom the entire autumn-winter-spring period in lockdown will cause untold misery and health complications? Or is he saying it from a position of "I don't suffer from lockdown so why should I give a stuff about those who do"?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
And if we had shot everyone over 70 last March, hardly anyone would have died of coronavirus.

At risk of sounding cynical, has Richard Burton said this after a detailed cost-benefit analysis of lockdown and its effect particularly on the lonely old, and those suffering with dementia, for whom the entire autumn-winter-spring period in lockdown will cause untold misery and health complications? Or is he saying it from a position of "I don't suffer from lockdown so why should I give a stuff about those who do"?

Burton gives a stuff about peoples lives and that as much as we possibly can we should save peoples lives, which lockdowns do, if people have to suffer some curtasilments of their liberties for a short time then so be it. I'd get used to it if I were you as I think we'll be living with some sort of restrictions for many months and indeed years to come.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Nearly 60,000 died as a result of lockdown ? I have heard this stated a few times by various people but would be interested to see the source for these figures. Thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here