Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hmmm, its all getting mighty complicated with different figures being thrown around...are we all going to die or not ?? ( mind you its still not as bad as 2018 apparently ?)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55316924

The above normal death rates need some qualification as all our measures such as masks, sanitising, distancing, lock downs will mean our normal winter killers aren’t being passed around like they usually would. So actually death from flu etc. should be at its lowest for many many years for that reason. Therefore the Covid death rate above normal expected death rate is likely higher, because we won’t be having as many deaths as normal from other things.

This is being played out in schools, absences through colds, coughs etc. are massively down on yearly averages.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The above normal death rates need some qualification as all our measures such as masks, sanitising, distancing, lock downs will mean our normal winter killers aren’t being passed around like they usually would. So actually death from flu etc. should be at its lowest for many many years for that reason. Therefore the Covid death rate above normal expected death rate is likely higher, because we won’t be having as many deaths as normal from other things.

This is being played out in schools, absences through colds, coughs etc. are massively down on yearly averages.

I have no doubt all of that is true, although hiding away from normal coughs and colds might come back to bite us...But listening to the wireless (auntie beeb not some right wing talk show) and a Dr did say that the average age of death from Covid is 82.4 and the average age of death for all other illnesses is 81 !! this I find quite bewildering if I am honest and why are we seeing so many excess deaths ? more old people ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Christmas relaxation of restrictions seems totally barmy in light of what is happening currently. I appreciate some people will just do what they want anyway but surely giving them an inch will mean they take it a mile etc. Even though myself, partner and the kids have already had Covid last month, we're staying on our own, parents are obviously upset they won't be with the grandchildren but understand as it seems ridiculous taking any sort of risk when we're potentially so close on the vaccines.

Yep its barmy and 5 days, christmas is one friggin day. If we go ahead with this we will pay a heavy price in January

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Was just coming on to say how much scaremongering is going on over the Christmas relaxations..........then read today's replies :lolol:

All this talk of causing more deaths, paying a price in January etc just reminds me of the hysteria in the summer after every sunny weekend, day celebrations etc.

Anyone would think HMG is making it compulsory to mix with other people. If you feel that you're at risk or putting loved ones at risk then play it safe and don't meet up FFS, it's your choice!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Was just coming on to say how much scaremongering is going on over the Christmas relaxations..........then read today's replies :lolol:

All this talk of causing more deaths, paying a price in January etc just reminds me of the hysteria in the summer after every sunny weekend, day celebrations etc.

Anyone would think HMG is making it compulsory to mix with other people. If you feel that you're at risk or putting loved ones at risk then play it safe and don't meet up FFS, it's your choice!

With respect there's a big difference between a street party in May and gathering a house with all the windows shut in mid winter. The government has an obligation to make sensible decisions to protect the population even if its unpopular. We do not want hospitals overwhelmed in the new year

Its one Christmas, celebrate a family Easter instead (lamb could well be cheap) when the rates are lower and more people have been vaccinated

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Brilliant interview, finally a bit of sense.

https://fb.watch/2oqDAiBKbn/

I watched the first bit of that, the bloke comes on and says its not as bad as the plague, or Spanish flu and it's really just like a normal flu, slightly worse, slightly better than other years.

Gave up after that as its clearly not any kind of sense, let alone a bit, unless you're insane. :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yep its barmy and 5 days, christmas is one friggin day. If we go ahead with this we will pay a heavy price in January

we'll pay a high price socially if we dont have the Christmas amnesty. for that is essentially what it is, an amnesty from rules following for the vast majority who have been following the rules. they will be careful over Christmas (they have been this far) so unlikely to cause much spread. the minority that ignore the rules would do so anyway. people have made plans now, they've been looking forward to this small break from months of separation and confinement.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
With respect there's a big difference between a street party in May and gathering a house with all the windows shut in mid winter. The government has an obligation to make sensible decisions to protect the population even if its unpopular. We do not want hospitals overwhelmed in the new year

Its one Christmas, celebrate a family Easter instead (lamb could well be cheap) when the rates are lower and more people have been vaccinated

Simply people have the same obligation too, don't be idiots and stay at home. It's one sodding day.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Looking at the very sad numbers of deaths reported today has me thinking.

232 reported by NHS uk but the bbc report 506 ?. Are we saying that 250 odd people were so ill of the virus but died at home and did not go to the hospital? I just don’t get that if I am honest even a care home that had someone that I’ll would surly send them to hospital would they not.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Massive assumption on your part.

I was purely pointing out that people find and post "interesting" videos when they agree with their point of view - which certain posters have done throughout the Pandemic!

With the greatest respect, I’ve followed this thread throughout the pandemic, and have seen many of your posts and I’m fairly confident which side of the argument you sit, rightfully so with your wife’s vulnerabilities, but there are also a lot of people that sit the other side of the fence and are staring into financial oblivion through no fault of their own, that coupled with the mental aspect of it all, they are of course clinging on to any crumb of positivity, no matter what the source maybe.
That doesn’t at all make them wrong, nor does it you, what it does show is how opinions can vary vastly due to different circumstances.
This really isn’t me having a pop at you, please don’t take it that way, merely pointing out that some people really are struggling with these restrictions, and I’ve seen lots of positive news bites posted with a certain “slant” but that doesn’t make the poster wrong.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Looking at the very sad numbers of deaths reported today has me thinking.

232 reported by NHS uk but the bbc report 506 ?. Are we saying that 250 odd people were so ill of the virus but died at home and did not go to the hospital? I just don’t get that if I am honest even a care home that had someone that I’ll would surly send them to hospital would they not.

sounds about right. carehomes dont send people ill and almost certain to die off to hospital, when they can make their last hours comfortable where they are.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
With the greatest respect, I’ve followed this thread throughout the pandemic, and have seen many of your posts and I’m fairly confident which side of the argument you sit, rightfully so with your wife’s vulnerabilities, but there are also a lot of people that sit the other side of the fence and are staring into financial oblivion through no fault of their own, that coupled with the mental aspect of it all, they are of course clinging on to any crumb of positivity, no matter what the source maybe.
That doesn’t at all make them wrong, nor does it you, what it does show is how opinions can vary vastly due to different circumstances.
This really isn’t me having a pop at you, please don’t take it that way, merely pointing out that some people really are struggling with these restrictions, and I’ve seen lots of positive news bites posted with a certain “slant” but that doesn’t make the poster wrong.

Thank you for your understanding and yes my position is quite clear!

However, I stand by my comment that the poster put "this makes sense" because it fits with his belief and as if any other opinion contrary to this, by virtue wouldn't "make sense".

If the poster had just put the video up and said worth a watch or something similar I wouldn't have posted, it was the inference that it was sense, because it confirmed his opinion...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Schools are shut for a couple of weeks which should make a positive difference - hopefully enough to cancel out the 5 day festival.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Cases- seven day average is now on the increase again

Was 25,000 before November lockdown and then went down to c16,000. They had planned for the number to be 10,000 or less.

Now going up again currently 18500 and rising quickly. Mostly South East.

Simple trend analysis means that at Xmas it will be up to around 22,000, maybe higher.
So Xmas will spike it big time, even though schools are closed

For every 10,000 cases 250 die within 2.5 weeks.
They will have to have us all in Tier 3 or even more stringent all through January.
But Johnson wanted to be Mr magnanimous and announced Xmas too early.

One worrying trend in the last few days is that hospital admissions (always around 8% of cases 2.5 weeks before) have been at 13 - 14% - last three or four days
Could be a blip and its only been for a few days, but;
Either the data is wrong (strong possibility as their numbers change backdated which is a cardinal sin in analysis) or;
We are seeing the stat of this “new” mutation

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here