Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
is there another approach that doesnt have any issues? if so why is no country using it?

Yes, Shielding - even The Who are saying lockdowns shouldn’t be used now because of the impact they have on the poorest.

What’s going to shut down the NHS more? Covid with shielding or Ever increasing waiting lists and missed appointments?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, Shielding - even The Who are saying lockdowns shouldn’t be used now because of the impact they have on the poorest.

What’s going to shut down the NHS more? Covid with shielding or Ever increasing waiting lists and missed appointments?

trouble is shielding, a policy i would broadly support, comes with its own issues of depression, ill health, unable to work etc for those shielding. and, this is crucial, probably wont work as people wont reliably shield so the vulnerable will be infected anyway. no country is following this approach, presumably they all have similar conclusion.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
trouble is shielding, a policy i would broadly support, comes with its own issues of depression, ill health, unable to work etc for those shielding. and, this is crucial, probably wont work as people wont reliably shield so the vulnerable will be infected anyway. no country is following this approach, presumably they all have similar conclusion.

Thing is - with the amount of money we have spent during this - we could have spent it on ways around every issue there is with shielding.

They could have had a butler each with the money spunked.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Shielding. Sounds straightforward, doesn't it? Would involve taking the elderly and vulnerable and more or less making them a prisoner in their own homes with no physical contact with their loved ones until this thing blows over. In essence they would do all the heavy lifting for society while we all live the Life of Reilly outside.

Something similar might have to be done if things get really bad again but I think a lot of people claiming the current situation is poor for mental health really mean it is poor for their mental health.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thing is - with the amount of money we have spent during this - we could have spent it on ways around every issue there is with shielding.

They could have had a butler each with the money spunked.

think you underestimate the numbers that would need to shield (20% the population? at least), or cost of butlers.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I love Starmer, continues to score points by slating policies. Any idea what he WOULD do to help?

Boris or Starmer
Trump or Biden

It’s never been so grim for two great countries, it really does beg the question, these candidates are the best there is on offer, how can it get any worse?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Their end game is a vaccine, that’s literally it. There’s no other way out.

It’s hilarious that a rural town with no cases can be classed as ‘medium’ risk :lolol: Absolutely clear that they are deliberately using medium/high/very high to scare people, I don’t even blame Johnson, I blame him for being spineless but these policies have Hancock written all over them.

I still to this day believe someone in a high place has a stranglehold on Boris, since he ‘came into power’ he’s gradually looked more and more like a blubbering mouthpiece for other peoples policies.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yeah, sod helping the country out eh?

Typical of the selfish ####s in this country.

You wanted Johnson and co to get a big majority at the last election so that the opposition in parliament had no power to stop them doing exactly what they wanted, and that is exactly what you have got.

I agree completely that it is typical of the selfish ####s in this country not to take actually take responsibility for what they've done :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here