Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Agree, and I also hate the way they use the term "New Normal". It's as if they are expecting this thing to be around till the end of time on this planet. It's a "Temporary Normal" if anything.

What worries me the most is a lot of people just seem to accept this is the new life now without questioning the logic behind it

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Agree, and I also hate the way they use the term "New Normal". It's as if they are expecting this thing to be around till the end of time on this planet. It's a "Temporary Normal" if anything.

I'm with you on that - I do think the media have almost enjoyed peddling the concept of the world facing some endless dystopia. I can understand it may have felt a bit that way in March, but the outlook is surely brighter now? Look at New Zealand, better managed and more fortunate than us perhaps, but they're already back to their 100% old normal.

Oddly, I was speaking to a client today who is a fairly senior figure at a well known Middle Eastern airline. He was suggesting that the industry is expecting to face permanent changes and inconveniences to the way people travel, much like post 9/11. I don't get that though - 9/11 and subsequent attempted atrocities were an eye opener, but the threat of international terrorism hadn't gone away (and sadly won't).

This is surely different. There will be a day when Covid-19 is no longer a grave threat to any of us, hopefully sooner rather than later. Why persist with making the experience of travel, or anything else for that matter, worse, when we don't have to? Yes, there can and probably will be other pandemics. But rather than living in constant fear forever more, surely the right response is to learn from the mistakes we have made globally and shut things down properly next time?

New normal my arse.

Yoda

English & European
I'm with you on that - I do think the media have almost enjoyed peddling the concept of the world facing some endless dystopia. I can understand it may have felt a bit that way in March, but the outlook is surely brighter now? Look at New Zealand, better managed and more fortunate than us perhaps, but they're already back to their 100% old normal.

Oddly, I was speaking to a client today who is a fairly senior figure at a well known Middle Eastern airline. He was suggesting that the industry is expecting to face permanent changes and inconveniences to the way people travel, much like post 9/11. I don't get that though - 9/11 and subsequent attempted atrocities were an eye opener, but the threat of international terrorism hadn't gone away (and sadly won't).

This is surely different. There will be a day when Covid-19 is no longer a grave threat to any of us, hopefully sooner rather than later. Why persist with making the experience of travel, or anything else for that matter, worse, when we don't have to? Yes, there can and probably will be other pandemics. But rather than living in constant fear forever more, surely the right response is to learn from the mistakes we have made globally and shut things down properly next time?

New normal my arse.

Regarding travel. I remember one of the Daily Updates, a few weeks ago now, harking the praise of a new test that can give you a result within an hour. Well, if that's the case, there's the answer to the aviation industry right there. Temporarily stop the print at home/etickets and post them out with one of these tests when able to mass produce them. Whom ever is due to fly has to do the test before leaving for the airport and prove they are Covid free before check-in.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Regarding travel. I remember one of the Daily Updates, a few weeks ago now, harking the praise of a new test that can give you a result within an hour. Well, if that's the case, there's the answer to the aviation industry right there. Temporarily stop the print at home/etickets and post them out with one of these tests when able to mass produce them. Whom ever is due to fly has to do the test before leaving for the airport and prove they are Covid free before check-in.

We had 80 or so tests going at work this week (from a commercial company) where in 10 minutes the test showed whether you had it now, or had antibodies. Just one test - DIY, a few drops of blood. They could do it at check-in!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Even 1 meter will mean society and businesses will not be able to function properly. Social distancing is something humans have never had to do since they crawled onto the land. Social distancing was mean't to be something temporary to stop the health service being overwhelmed but now 3 months on it is still as strict in fact more so. It seems we are mean't to accept this is the " new normal " It is on every high street and shop in the land and now firmly ingrained into many people's psyche which will be hard or impossible to change

many people screaming at every change, economy before people etc. some want the 2m to stay. business will navigate through change to 1m when it comes, people will respond just as they've adjusted quickly to social distancing.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
many people screaming at every change, economy before people etc. some want the 2m to stay. business will navigate through change to 1m when it comes, people will respond just as they've adjusted quickly to social distancing.

Thankfully these people’s are lowering in number as the realisation of the damage down to jobs etc is becoming clear.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

I also hate the term 'new normal', it is anything but. I prefer 'transitionary period back to normality'.
As Mr.Spock never said, 'It's normality Jim, but not as we know it.':D

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Very sad, but inevitable.
We were due to go to Cornwall about 10 days ago, to a favourite hotel of ours. I don't know when we shall be going back as the thought of staying in a hotel where face masks, social distancing and limited facilities are on offer, is certainly not appealing to us.

I watched that particular news item and it was as you say. It brought home (to me anyway) the depth of the misery that folk are facing. Cornwall will be a ghost county at this rate.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
In the hospitality sector yes, it makes a huge difference. Most in this sector can go back to work and make some money at 1 metre whereas 2 metres most will not reopen.
yes mate i'm not talking about their rules....im talking about the practicality of the whole thing ......when you get home open a bottle of your favourite aftershave , walk 3 mtrs away and see how long before you smell it ....about 5 seconds mate , it's airborne ...?? its bollox mate .

yes mate i'm not talking about their rules....im talking about the practicality of the whole thing ......when you get home open a bottle of your favourite aftershave , walk 3 mtrs away and see how long before you smell it ....about 5 seconds mate , it's airborne ...?? its bollox mate .
Yes mate see what u mean. Do u think they should just scrap social distancing and let people decide. If you have underlying health problems then it's up to you and simply don't go to places that are busy?. My view is that providing you take simple precautions your highly unlikely to catch it now. More chance of getting struck by lightening if outdoors in a storm in which case a simple precaution(if say your out on golf course or fields would be to get under cover and reduce the risk.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
https://forecasters.org/blog/2020/06/14/forecasting-for-covid-19-has-failed/

Its this bit that I find shocking.

Experienced modelers drew early on parallels between COVID-19 and the Spanish flu [2] that caused >50 million deaths with mean age at death being 28. We all lament the current loss of life. However, as of June 8, total fatalities are ~410,000 with median age ~80 and typically multiple comorbidities.

Made it up as they went along, they all panicked and here we are with a potential waiting list of 10 million for the NHS by the end of the year, mass unemployment, kids missing school, public fear and mental health issues mounting.

Yoda

English & European
https://forecasters.org/blog/2020/06/14/forecasting-for-covid-19-has-failed/

Its this bit that I find shocking.

Experienced modelers drew early on parallels between COVID-19 and the Spanish flu [2] that caused >50 million deaths with mean age at death being 28. We all lament the current loss of life. However, as of June 8, total fatalities are ~410,000 with median age ~80 and typically multiple comorbidities.

I've said a similar thing on here (or the good news thread). Even still SAGE are using Spanish flu as an example of a possible second wave. Spanish flu was an H1N1 Influenza virus, the clue is in the name. Covid-19 is a SARS virus, clue is in it's technical name SARS-COV-2.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Yes mate see what u mean. Do u think they should just scrap social distancing and let people decide. If you have underlying health problems then it's up to you and simply don't go to places that are busy?. My view is that providing you take simple precautions your highly unlikely to catch it now. More chance of getting struck by lightening if outdoors in a storm in which case a simple precaution(if say your out on golf course or fields would be to get under cover and reduce the risk.

yes....if you are worried about going out for your own safety( either age wise or underlying health) then stay indoors , go out early or late to get your shopping or get a family member to help if willing .......if you are young , fit and bulletproof then get on with life ......just be aware that if you are susceptible for whatever reason then you may be dead within a week .....it's my take mate , too many people on this planet and **** knows there's too many idiots .....the health workers are a concern though , 3 nurses in my house but we are virtually (covid.:rock:) free here so we are lucky....i don't actually know one person who's even had it...???

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Listening to the culture sec in the briefing and it’s perfectly clear they have no idea on how to get cinemas etc back.

Smaller theatres and cinemas are doomed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here