RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
9EBE5D39-86C5-495A-A7F0-3CCBAF629D12.jpeg

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Dicsussion Thread

Interesting article in the Evening Standard - it was on my yahoo feed. An interesting read

Coronavirus may have infected half of UK population, experts believe.

The coronavirus could have infected as much as half of the the UK’s population, according to researchers at the University of Oxford.

Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology at Oxford, led a study into the infection rate of Covid-19 across the country.

The findings came on the same day the official death toll jumped to a record 87 in one day to 422 and confirmed cases leapt by 1,427.

The new model from Oxford University suggests the virus was circulating in the UK by mid-January, around two weeks before the first reported case and a month before the first reported death.

And the research suggested that less than one thousand of with Covid-19 became ill enough to need treatment in hospital, with the vast majority developing mild symptoms or none at all.

This means it could have had enough time to have spread widely, with many people in the country acquiring immunity.

Speaking to the Financial Times, Professor Gupta said testing was needed to assess the theory.

Oxford’s research represents a very different view to the modelling at Imperial College London, which influenced government policy to tackle the spread of the virus in the UK.

“I am surprised that there has been such unqualified acceptance of the Imperial model,” Professor Gupta told the same newspaper.

But she was reluctant to criticise Boris Johnson’s decision to place the country on lockdown as the accuracy of the new model has not yet been confirmed.

If accurate, the results would mean the country has already acquired substantial “herd immunity” through the unrecognised spread of the illness.

We need the antibody test ASAP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Just received the BBC news flash regarding Prince Charles who has been confirmed as having Covid-19 but only showing mild symptoms.

How come they have the facilities to test him but my wife who is a carer in a residential home for severely physically and mentally disabled adults can’t get tested.

The residents have been tested but not the staff - the result is that any staff members showing the slightest symptoms have to self isolate and consequently the home is severely understaffed - my wife has had to do a number of double shifts and worked without a day off in the last 17 days! The staff self-isolating would happily return to work if they were tested and shown to be clear of the virus.

The only protection the staff have are disposable aprons and flimsy face masks to protect the residents not the staff. Staff have to carry out tasks involving extremely close contact with residents including assisting them using the toilet, brushing their teeth, dressing and feeding them.

I know it was only one test regarding Prince Charles but the principle is simply wrong!

D

Deleted member 22389

Just received the BBC news flash regarding Prince Charles who has been confirmed as having Covid-19 but only showing mild symptoms.

How come they have the facilities to test him but my wife who is a carer in a residential home for severely physically and mentally disabled adults can’t get tested.

The residents have been tested but not the staff - the result is that any staff members showing the slightest symptoms have to self isolate and consequently the home is severely understaffed - my wife has had to do a number of double shifts and worked without a day off in the last 17 days! The staff self-isolating would happily return to work if they were tested and shown to be clear of the virus.

The only protection the staff have are disposable aprons and flimsy face masks to protect the residents not the staff. Staff have to carry out tasks involving extremely close contact with residents including assisting them using the toilet, brushing their teeth, dressing and feeding them.

I know it was only one test regarding Prince Charles but the principle is simply wrong!

It's terrible the way front line staff are being treated in all this.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
A limit on customers entering the store to two, but no social distancing measures being observed in my local corner shop by the 2 kids working in there itself just now, or toward me from them. I also naively assumed their £5 card minimum payment limit would be waived as well to encourage contactless payments so not to be receiving physical cash, but it wasn't. (I got a couple of extra bits as I didn't have my wallet on me.)

I had a similar experience yesterday. The shop has an entrance and an exit. The exit was closed off and there was a guard on the door. Sort of saw what they were aiming at, but idiots walking in and idiots walking out too close to each other.
I think we all know a complete lock down is coming.
Oh, and a man laughed at me because I covered my face when he walked past me FFS!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I had a similar experience yesterday. The shop has an entrance and an exit. The exit was closed off and there was a guard on the door. Sort of saw what they were aiming at, but idiots walking in and idiots walking out too close to each other.
I think we all know a complete lock down is coming.
Oh, and a man laughed at me because I covered my face when he walked past me FFS!

Asda added a lot more home delivery slots yesterday. Was sold out for 3 weeks before, now a few available (or was at 8am)

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Asda added a lot more home delivery slots yesterday. Was sold out for 3 weeks before, now a few available (or was at 8am)

Thank you. I think I'm stocked up. I don't eat big meals and am very much a make do and mend person anyway.

Do miss going out walking freely

Must be the Irish blood :smile:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Can we please stop focusing on young people. They are dickheads, regardless of age, as this proves:

[TWEET]1242410885236260864[/TWEET]

Bit harsh to generalise all RT! I'd agree with the shocking caller you shared. But the girl Chloe who died we just cannot know or assume just because she was 21.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Might be worth signing up to this if a minute of our lives each day helps then good news and it is genuine not another data harvester.

COIVID Symptom Tracker lets everyone share valuable information on the spread and infection.

http://covid.joinzoe.com

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Bit harsh to generalise all RT! I'd agree with the shocking caller you shared. But the girl Chloe who died we just cannot know or assume just because she was 21.

Apologies it was a comment in response to the "wakeup call for young people" bit. I've seen so many comments like 'Generation Selfish' and young people in bars. Every generation has large numbers currently flouting the rules. I dont know anyone in my peer group not taking it seriously yet young people are being demonized.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Money, money, money. Rich people will always be able to buy what they want, but local councils and government won't spend money unless they absolutely have to.

My mother's home is taking over £800 a week from each resident. I know overheads are high, but why aren't staff given protective clothing in any case or do they expect all the old ones just to die of strokes and heartattacks?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hope you’re all doing well today. Looks like most are adhering to the measures.
Hope you all have as good a day as you can.
“Keep buggering on”

:)

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Apparently an antibody testing kit will be available to purchase for a nominal fee from next week. An initial 3.5 million ordered by wholesalers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Apparently an antibody testing kit will be available to purchase for a nominal fee from next week. An initial 3.5 million ordered by wholesalers.

Got to be fake news. If not it would be a disgrace. It should be free to key workers first and the rest used on a proper randomised sample to see how far it has spread.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Got to be fake news. If not it would be a disgrace. It should be free to key workers first and the rest used on a proper randomised sample to see how far it has spread.

That may be the case. Key workers could get it free and the rest of us can buy a kit. Here are the Tweets, from a Times journalist.

DCE85A20-710D-4978-96BD-B07A398A0A91.jpeg

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Morrisons Seaford have decided to have their one in one out line threading around the enclosed underground car park rather along the wide pavement running around the building’s exterior. Utter stupidity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here