Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nearly 10k new cases in the US today, crikey. That’s escalated quickly.
Trump:

"Great news. Great, great news. We are winning. We are ahead of the curve. We have the most tests, and the most positive results. And let me tell you the tests are beautiful."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is the problem though. Some of the places that I had to deliver today to did not need to be open. Delivered to one company who make parts for aircraft. I asked did the airline's require the parts urgently? Reply was no because they are not flying now due to the ban, did you need to come in with full staff to get these part made? No but I came in because I was told I could by the government.
I thanked him for not only putting me at risk, but many others as I am classed as a key worker. Thank God my company has advised that we will only be making deliveries a d collections to food and pharmaceutical companies.

Please if you are going into work tomorrow and your job is not supplying the food and pharmaceutical tell your boss lets close. This goes for garages aswell, if people need work done on their cars they are likely to come out.

The government should just say if you do not deal directly with food and pharmaceutical then you must close.

stop it. if government hasnt told a business to shut, not your place to demand it. what do you know about the indirect supply chains, the parts for a plane that may fly in food or pharmaceuticals maybe? or the nurse who needs their car fixed?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I don’t really have an opinion on trump but reading this I find staggering, I fear for the US.

40EAFC88-4AFC-4FDC-8488-F3531E612198.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Trump confidently stated on the right-wing Fox News today “I would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter.” Even the normally sycophantic interviewer questioned that.

Putting economics over the lives of tens of millions vulnerable people, in a nation with little healthcare for the poor to modestly paid.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Its going to skyrocket since they are now doing ~40 000 tests per day (total so far 290k), compared to Monday last week they made 4000 tests. UK is doing 5000-6000 tests per day.

So far, the UK did 6,148 tests (in total 90k) per million people and none of the US states got more with the highest number being 4k per million in Washington. But I'm guessing the yanks will soon out-test us all even counted in tests per million, with 17 million new test kits coming Saturday.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Trump confidently stated on the right-wing Fox News today “I would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter.” Even the normally sycophantic interviewer questioned that.

Putting economics over the lives of tens of millions vulnerable people, in a nation with little healthcare for the poor to modestly paid.
I just saw this on the BBC news channel. He is a ****ing moron that is going to kill a lot of people if he is allowed to open it up.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is worth a watch - very informative.

The section at the end discusses boosting immunity and a possible beneficial link to the BCG vaccination.

If you are still nerding away at this;

Global map of BCG Vaccination coverage, some interesting observations on obvious outliers (USA and Italy) and countries were vaccination was only in effect for a short period (Spain). Netherlands currently pointing in the wrong direction, but it may just be that virus activity is not fully ramped up yet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3062527/

At this point I have to leave it to the experts. The potential correlation could just be related to a broader haphazard approach to healthcare in certain countries. However the idea that we could give the vulnerable an immunity boost from a century old vaccination for tuberculosis, has to be worth taking a look at. It COULD also be great news for many of the world's poorest nations, where BCG vaccination is still common place, but the ability to treat CV19 is very limited.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
This is the problem though. Some of the places that I had to deliver today to did not need to be open. Delivered to one company who make parts for aircraft. I asked did the airline's require the parts urgently? Reply was no because they are not flying now due to the ban, did you need to come in with full staff to get these part made? No but I came in because I was told I could by the government.
I thanked him for not only putting me at risk, but many others as I am classed as a key worker. Thank God my company has advised that we will only be making deliveries a d collections to food and pharmaceutical companies.

Please if you are going into work tomorrow and your job is not supplying the food and pharmaceutical tell your boss lets close. This goes for garages aswell, if people need work done on their cars they are likely to come out.

The government should just say if you do not deal directly with food and pharmaceutical then you must close.

A tad naive

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A limit on customers entering the store to two, but no social distancing measures being observed in my local corner shop by the 2 kids working in there itself just now, or toward me from them. I also naively assumed their £5 card minimum payment limit would be waived as well to encourage contactless payments so not to be receiving physical cash, but it wasn't. (I got a couple of extra bits as I didn't have my wallet on me.)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
2 pictures - official numbers just 48 hours apart. You can draw your own conclusions on the acceleration.

ncov1.jpg

nvov2.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
2 pictures - official numbers just 48 hours apart. You can draw your own conclusions on the acceleration.

View attachment 121440

View attachment 121441

Testing is being ramped up in most big/effected countries now. We should see case numbers absolutely soar, but hopefully deaths stay more consistent, creating a lower mortality rate which will be closer to the true mortality rate.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I remain a bit puzzled by the 'recovered' figures, which seem very low in relation to the number of cases. If our cases are 8,077 and we have 422 deaths and 135 recovered - that's a lot of people with an uncertain outcome (>7,000). Are they all in hospital, and if not, are they being monitored somewhere? Some of these cases must be weeks old now - and I'm not too sure at which point they are deemed to have recovered?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I remain a bit puzzled by the 'recovered' figures, which seem very low in relation to the number of cases. If our cases are 8,077 and we have 422 deaths and 135 recovered - that's a lot of people with an uncertain outcome (>7,000). Are they all in hospital, and if not, are they being monitored somewhere? Some of these cases must be weeks old now - and I'm not too sure at which point they are deemed to have recovered?

Not sure about the UK but I know that in a lot of countries it works like this: if you get tested and it shows you are infected, you will not get on the "recovered" list for 14 days or so. Dont think the cases that got confirmed but could go home are monitored in any way, if they dont turn out in the hospital again within these 14 days, they'll just assume to be recovered. But as I said, not sure if its working this way in the UK.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
While I think the Swedish government must do more, I'm actually pleased with how empty our streets are. Seems to be working better than in most countries, we have no explosion of deaths or ICU cases so far.

For once its useful to be the willing slaves of the establishment and having absolutely zero family values. "Grandma needs to be home alone, rotting in loneliness, I dont have to visit her? Nice..."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here