Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/uk-news/957270/non-covid-excess-deaths-why-are-they-on-the-rise

Non-Covid excess deaths: why are they rising?
Experts call for probe as mortality rates in England and Wales climb despite drop in coronavirus deaths

Latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that excess deaths – the total number of deaths above the average count for a given period – reached 1,540 in the week ending 24 June. A total of 10,836 deaths were registered in England and Wales, a 16.6% increase on the five-year average.

If true and unprecedented, perhaps from the much predicted effect of all the folk too scared to get checked out for cancer scares?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I don't think schools and colleges had any choice to close but it should have been followed with a plan to deal with the impact on children's development. There hasn't been one like there hasn't been one for immune compromised people.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't think schools and colleges had any choice to close but it should have been followed with a plan to deal with the impact on children's development. There hasn't been one like there hasn't been one for immune compromised people.

Other countries seemed to have managed it a lot better for one reason or another.

Recovery was priced at 15 billion, Government said no.

People wouldn’t be happy to be paying more tax, so was never going to happen.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Other countries seemed to have managed it a lot better for one reason or another.

Recovery was priced at 15 billion, Government said no.

People wouldn’t be happy to be paying more tax, so was never going to happen.

was more complex than cost, asking all teachers and pupils to stay on after school or weekends was considered a brave policy and dropped. instead a smaller amount have been given to schools to target those needing intervention. dont know that other countries have managed differently, initial spending plans not going past the drawing board.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
The ones killing me at the moment are the goons absolutely livid their holidays are getting cancelled, they’ll be the same ones screaming for lockdowns and and more and more restrictions, leaving the travel industry in tatters !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[tweet]1546942795201626113[/tweet]

That is true. A strain on the NHS.

But thankfully not translating into fatalities due to Covid.

410BB024-D288-4833-A9A5-10354121450B.png

74AA5064-F299-4820-960B-8BE5D761514F.png

According to Dr Xand, folk over 65 should keep up to date with vaccinations, large numbers haven’t bothered.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That is true. A strain on the NHS.

But thankfully not translating into fatalities due to Covid.

According to Dr Xand, folk over 65 should keep up to date with vaccinations, large numbers haven’t bothered.

I'm almost 74 and haven't been offered a 4th jab yet. My friend (76) went to Scotland on a coach trip where one of the passengers had to stay behind because he contracted covid. She then came down with it two days later.
I went to a lunch where two days later a lady (73) on my table, now has it. I have tested negative so far.
Both were vaccinated.

None of us want to go into hospital let alone think about fatalities.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm almost 74 and haven't been offered a 4th jab yet. My friend (76) went to Scotland on a coach trip where one of the passengers had to stay behind because he contracted covid. She then came down with it two days later.
I went to a lunch where two days later a lady (73) on my table, now has it. I have tested negative so far.
Both were vaccinated.

It must be a haphazard vaccination programme, for the latest jab. My parents and their associates in their 80’s and 70’s were vax’d in April/May. Luckily those who are on the Brighton Racecourse list get contacted without fail it appears. Is it still open though?

Vital in boosting immunity.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Both were vaccinated.

Have you spoke to your GP, seems that’s a way to fast track for some

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have you spoke to your GP, seems that’s a way to fast track for some

Not yet because it was arranged by the Racecourse hub. As far as I know, it's for over 75s only but my last booster was in October.
[MENTION=3791]Wes[/MENTION]tander Yes I was on the Racecourse list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here