Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Take on obesity by a strategy to inform and educate the population about healthy food choices and lifestyle choices. Keep it positive- promote positive options rather than criticising less healthy ones.

Possibly look at restricting the advertising unhealthy choices as they are heavily promoted / pushed on people at present.

Show some film of people in nursing homes (who tend to be thin), and say if you want to live this long, eat less. :wink:

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Ah, so we're now into the territory of "you're a fatty, so tough"! though I'm sure that's not how it was meant.

Yes, obesity is a massive problem (excuse pun) and I'm not sure exactly how you educatepeople to make better choices. Clearly the sugar tax has made little difference, apart from presumably earning the Treasury some extra revenue!

Yoda

English & European
I would class myself as obese at the minute (luckily don't have diabetes though), yet (apart from drinking at most 2-3 cans of beer per night, and maybe one-two take-aways per month) have a healthy varied diet cooking the majority of my meals from scratch.

My issue is exercise, or rather very distinct lack of it, due to injuries (mainly back) catching up with me. Even until 5/6 years ago I used to walk or cycle the 2.5 miles to and from work regularly until it became too painful. Being stuck working from home since the pandemic started hasn't helped it further and I now sometimes struggle to walk 100-200m before I'm in agony and need to sit and rest it.

I would so much prefer the back manipulated and sorted rather than being given exercises/stretching to do every time I see someone (including physio's and chiropractors) about it. If I didn't have the pain, I would quite happily work on getting my fitness levels back myself.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Take on obesity by a strategy to inform and educate the population about healthy food choices and lifestyle choices. Keep it positive- promote positive options rather than criticising less healthy ones.

Possibly look at restricting the advertising unhealthy choices as they are heavily promoted / pushed on people at present.

Yep, and teach cooking of healthy meals from an early age in school.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ah, so we're now into the territory of "you're a fatty, so tough"! though I'm sure that's not how it was meant.

Yes, obesity is a massive problem (excuse pun) and I'm not sure exactly how you educatepeople to make better choices. Clearly the sugar tax has made little difference, apart from presumably earning the Treasury some extra revenue!

Pretty sure no-one has said anything even approaching that, quite the opposite in fact! :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Very likely I would think, and people who are obese are clearly likely to have a number of other health problems too.
We (the Government?) really needs to find a way to tackle obesity with around 28% of the country obese.
The stick doesn't seem to have worked - is there a carrot approach that could?

what stick? this issue is treated very softly, for fear of offending.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, an inflated figure as yesterday's and the day before didn't include data they should have.

Over-all, the daily total is still reducing.

Aye …with the dates being spread over several days sometimes months and then as you said a couple of reporting dates being ‘out’ …it stresses the importance of rolling averages ..unfortunately the ‘headlines’ don’t normally contain such info

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
The same way they made smoking, drink driving (and maybe soon eating meat) socially undesirable. With powerful, hard-hitting campaigns.

Yet just shy of 7 million people still smoke in the U.K. and the last time I looked McDonalds* was doing quite well.

* other fast food chains are available.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
And more calories than a Mars Bar, apparently...!

Anyway, we’re a bit off topic now, sorry.

….I worked it off, trick is to just have a Mac as a treat and nothing more….anyway a pleasant divergence from the usual thread stuff

Ps
The Good News thread is the one to keep on track, so no need to apologise

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
From Twitter: Two sources have said Hong Kong health authorities have determined China’s Sinovac vaccine is of no use against the Delta and Omicron variants, thus toughening control measures to minimise any chances of infection. About 40% of the inoculated population chose Sinovac.

AWKWARD.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here