Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Reported today.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

Yesterdays numbers had deaths from dec

a few days ago it had a death from Feb

It should be clearer, as should it be "with" and "from" given upto 60% in hospital are "with" in some areas

A lot of people take the headline without realising that the daily figure is one spread over days, sometimes months…it’s not just one computer somewhere that automatically is contacted every time someone passes away

Yoda

English & European
The key metric to take into account at the moment will be the Daily deaths with COVID-19 on the death certificate by date of death. The unfortunate thing is that is always about 3-4 weeks behind.

The last time this figure was even above 200 as 6th March 2021

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Given the much-reduced severity of Omicron, I’m not even sure reducing the number of infections was necessary, or a good thing - quite possibly in the ‘doesn’t really have any major impact either way’ category (which again calls in to question the need for further restrictions)

Interesting piece here on the SA and how their early indications and research were treated (and, related, current status re Omicron wave)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-60039138

That's a slightly different question, as is the cost - financial or otherwise - of stricter restrictions. The question I was addressing was the last round of restrictions in Wales made any difference to infections, which they most definitely did.

To be fair South Africa is a younger less vaccinated population so it was never going to be a straight read across to the UK but throughout the pandemic there has been an element of England ignoring what happened in the rest of the world, starting from when we saw what was happening in Italy and were slow to react to it.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I made it pretty clear form my first post it was "overall" I forget you dont accept anything that doesnt make England the worst, so its not a shock you ignored it.

From a man who won't accept any evidence that goes against his worldview that all restrictions should go instantly.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
From a man who won't accept any evidence that goes against his worldview that all restrictions should go instantly.

Just think, if we had mandatory restrictions rather than common sense approach in July we could have won this

8CF59506-D269-4791-AAA5-A81DEFF84A18.png

Over 400k cases in France?

Think how bad it would have been if we delayed further or even took a step back as some wanted.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Just think, if we had mandatory restrictions rather than common sense approach in July we could have won this

View attachment 144198

Over 400k cases in France?

Think how bad it would have been if we delayed further or even took a step back as some wanted.

What the hell have restrictions, or the lack of, last July got to do with people getting Covid now?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What the hell have restrictions, or the lack of, last July got to do with people getting Covid now?

What the hell does having an exit wave in the summer and allowing a flat level of Covid topping up immunity in the vaccinated rather than a giant peak in the winter got to do with people getting Covid now?

No idea

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's a slightly different question, as is the cost - financial or otherwise - of stricter restrictions. The question I was addressing was the last round of restrictions in Wales made any difference to infections, which they most definitely did.

To be fair South Africa is a younger less vaccinated population so it was never going to be a straight read across to the UK but throughout the pandemic there has been an element of England ignoring what happened in the rest of the world, starting from when we saw what was happening in Italy and were slow to react to it.

I know….and I’m not sure reducing the number of infections was a good thing in the Omicron wave. Allowing a managed spread seems to have been a better strategy.

Regarding daily deaths, these are reported on the website - the first data are reported as date of death, the second date reported. It’s been hovering between 100 and 250 or so for months.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
What the hell does having an exit wave in the summer and allowing a flat level of Covid topping up immunity in the vaccinated rather than a giant peak in the winter got to do with people getting Covid now?

No idea

Last July we were mainly concerned with the much more serious Delta variant and not everyone was vaccinated plus natural immunity from Covid disapears after six month tops.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I know….and I’m not sure reducing the number of infections was a good thing in the Omicron wave. Allowing a managed spread seems to have been a better strategy.

Regarding daily deaths, these are reported on the website - the first data are reported as date of death, the second date reported. It’s been hovering between 100 and 250 or so for months.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

From memory when we first found out about Omicron no one was sure how dangerous it was, although we had a good idea fairly soon afterwards, and it doesn't take much to overwhelm the NHS after a decade of under investment.

It would have been a brave move to let it rip, plus a lot of people would have taken precautions without being told to.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From memory when we first found out about Omicron no one was sure how dangerous it was, although we had a good idea fairly soon afterwards, and it doesn't take much to overwhelm the NHS after a decade of under investment.

It would have been a brave move to let it rip, plus a lot of people would have taken precautions without being told to.
That's kind of what we did though - allowed a managed spread without implementing severe restrictions, balancing NHS impact vs immunity strengthening

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
That's kind of what we did though - allowed a managed spread without implementing severe restrictions, balancing NHS impact vs immunity strengthening

I do actually agree with the broad sweep of restriction being brought in and lifted, although I would have kept face coverings mandatory for a bit longer last July to allow everyone the chance to get vaccinated and would have been tempted to keep at least some of the current restrictions until Spring.

Apparently the one that has had most impact is working from home and my suspicion is a lot of offices won't have everyone back until the trains are back to normal and/or self isolating comes to and end because they are at risk of wiping out their workforce for a week if they get an outbreak in an office.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Last July we were mainly concerned with the much more serious Delta variant and not everyone was vaccinated plus natural immunity from Covid disapears after six month tops.

Obviously we're all just regurgitating what we've read from our favoured sources, but everything I've read about viruses in the last two years says that your body retains some level of protection for years, perhaps the rest of your life. You're referring to antibody levels dropping to zero, but that's true of any virus you've ever caught.

Getting vaccinated last year and catching Delta in the summer will absolutely have an effect on getting Omicron now. You might still get it but it'll be milder.

The sanitised world that some prominent scientists are pushing for will absolutely bite us all in the arse further down the road. It's the same with endless boosters, Israel are finding that out now.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Obviously we're all just regurgitating what we've read from our favoured sources, but everything I've read about viruses in the last two years says that your body retains some level of protection for years, perhaps the rest of your life. You're referring to antibody levels dropping to zero, but that's true of any virus you've ever caught.

Getting vaccinated last year and catching Delta in the summer will absolutely have an effect on getting Omicron now. You might still get it but it'll be milder.

The sanitised world that some prominent scientists are pushing for will absolutely bite us all in the arse further down the road. It's the same with endless boosters, Israel are finding that out now.

They are fairly sure you have antibodies for about six months although less sure how T-Cells and B-Cells come into play after that. Regardless people have had it twice.

I only had my second vaccine in mid-June and there were people who hadn't had a chance to have theirs by early July. I genuinely don't think we were ready to let it rip at that time.

As is often pointed out the Spanish Flu never went anywhere and became seasonal flu, plus the treatments are getting better for Covid. Hopefully we are entering the next phase but I can still see boosters happening for the next few years and suspect a lot of people will use face coverings in crowded places.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They are fairly sure you have antibodies for about six months although less sure how T-Cells and B-Cells come into play after that. Regardless people have had it twice.

I only had my second vaccine in mid-June and there were people who hadn't had a chance to have theirs by early July. I genuinely don't think we were ready to let it rip at that time.

As is often pointed out the Spanish Flu never went anywhere and became seasonal flu, plus the treatments are getting better for Covid. Hopefully we are entering the next phase but I can still see boosters happening for the next few years and suspect a lot of people will use face coverings in crowded places.

This depends on what you read and who from….as said before it’s debatable ..a quick google and you will find differing views from ‘reputable’ sources

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
This depends on what you read and who from….as said before it’s debatable ..a quick google and you will find differing views from ‘reputable’ sources

TBH it's a bit of a side issue as it is only one part of the immune system. From what I can gather there is not a lot of information on how long immunity lasts after antibodies disappear.

It might very well be time for us all to start building natural immunity now but I don't think it was a good idea in July last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here