May 23, 2004
Worthing
Overall

Wales 753,899 23,785.4
Scotland 1,114,066 20,381.7
Northern Ireland 499,606 26,357.3
England 13,341,488 23,592.3

Looks lower to me....

Not sure that going over the whole pandemic is relevant to the current infection rates are. Last 7 days infection rates are:

Wales 16,025 505.6
Scotland 31,399 574.4
Northern Ireland 23,121 1,219.8
England 550,099 972.8

Granted a bit over half now.

Source

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So you agree that the recent Welsh restrictions lead to roughly half the infections than we had in England?

Admittedly this was Jan 7th and the DT

Covid case rates in Wales are rising almost three times faster than those in England despite tougher restrictions being in place, according to the latest figures.

People in Wales have been living under alert level two measures since Boxing Day. The measures include mandatory face coverings in all indoor settings, a six-person limit for meeting in public places and the closure of nightclubs.

Despite the measures, the country's Covid cases have almost doubled since Dec 26, with an overall increase of 94 per cent, according to the latest government data. In comparison, England's cases have increased by only 34 per cent.

Under England's Plan B measures – less strict than in Wales – people have been told to work from home wherever possible, wear face coverings on public transport and in public places and show proof of their Covid vaccination status to access large events and nightclubs.

https://www.visitwales.com/ You might find this handy

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So you agree that the recent Welsh restrictions lead to roughly half the infections than we had in England?

Not sure I didn’t?

I said overall and Drakeford making the point England are wrong days ago when called out.

But glad you agree Wales have done worse than England overall.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Admittedly this was Jan 7th and the DT

Covid case rates in Wales are rising almost three times faster than those in England despite tougher restrictions being in place, according to the latest figures.

People in Wales have been living under alert level two measures since Boxing Day. The measures include mandatory face coverings in all indoor settings, a six-person limit for meeting in public places and the closure of nightclubs.

Despite the measures, the country's Covid cases have almost doubled since Dec 26, with an overall increase of 94 per cent, according to the latest government data. In comparison, England's cases have increased by only 34 per cent.

Under England's Plan B measures – less strict than in Wales – people have been told to work from home wherever possible, wear face coverings on public transport and in public places and show proof of their Covid vaccination status to access large events and nightclubs.

https://www.visitwales.com/ You might find this handy

Figures I gave were updated yesterday so fairly much the latest.

The fact remains that Wales currently has less than half the rate infections as England. To say their current restrictions haven't made a difference in people catching Covid is untrue.

I am not the one trying to criticise the Welsh government because it offers an alternative to my world view that all restrictions should be lifted and let the cards fall where they may.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Not sure I didn’t?

I said overall and Drakeford making the point England are wrong days ago when called out.

But glad you agree Wales have done worse than England overall.

We are discussing current, although in both examples soon to be changed, restrictions oin England and Wales. You have said Wales went too far and I have pointed out they have half the infections England does at the moment. As you are the first to point out what happened six months or a year ago isn't relevant now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Figures I gave were updated yesterday so fairly much the latest.

The fact remains that Wales currently has less than half the rate infections as England. To say their current restrictions haven't made a difference in people catching Covid is untrue.

I am not the one trying to criticise the Welsh government because it offers an alternative to my world view that all restrictions should be lifted and let the cards fall where they may.

Given the much-reduced severity of Omicron, I’m not even sure reducing the number of infections was necessary, or a good thing - quite possibly in the ‘doesn’t really have any major impact either way’ category (which again calls in to question the need for further restrictions)

Interesting piece here on the SA and how their early indications and research were treated (and, related, current status re Omicron wave)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-60039138

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Given the much-reduced severity of Omicron, I’m not even sure reducing the number of infections was necessary, or a good thing - quite possibly in the ‘doesn’t really have any major impact either way’ category (which again calls in to question the need for further restrictions)

Interesting piece here on the SA and how their early indications and research were treated (and, related, current status re Omicron wave)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-60039138

A qenuine question, if Omicron has "much reduced severity" why are we still seeing so many deaths?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A qenuine question, if Omicron has "much reduced severity" why are we still seeing so many deaths?

Fair question………I’m not even sure it’s so many now on an excess death comparison for the time of year though - I’d really like clear and accurate data on this, plus the ‘with’ and ‘of’ Covid splits broken down by age group - without that it’s difficult to tell really.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Fair question………I’m not even sure it’s so many now on an excess death comparison for the time of year though - I’d really like clear and accurate data on this, plus the ‘with’ and ‘of’ Covid splits broken down by age group - without that it’s difficult to tell really.

No, I'm not sure either, from my own personal feeling (with no scientific back up), respiratory diseases should be lower as I would imagine a large percentage of vulnerable people are taking some measures of prevention.

This guy does some great, unbiased work on Twitter...
https://mobile.twitter.com/RP131/status/1476589509676523527

I guess we will never really know the true scale.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No, I'm not sure either, from my own personal feeling (with no scientific back up), respiratory diseases should be lower as I would imagine a large percentage of vulnerable people are taking some measures of prevention.

This guy does some great, unbiased work on Twitter...
https://mobile.twitter.com/RP131/status/1476589509676523527

I guess we will never really know the true scale.

Probably not. Comparisons with other countries are basically meaningless too……..once we’re out of this mess,I guess excess deaths will be the closest we’ll get to the true picture

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
There was a snippet on Radio 4 the other day stating 22% of deaths are WITH Covid (ie not primary cause) the rest were directly due to COVID. Probably good enough reason to suggest some restrictions are necessary whilst the wave passes.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We are discussing current, although in both examples soon to be changed, restrictions oin England and Wales. You have said Wales went too far and I have pointed out they have half the infections England does at the moment. As you are the first to point out what happened six months or a year ago isn't relevant now.

I made it pretty clear form my first post it was "overall" I forget you dont accept anything that doesnt make England the worst, so its not a shock you ignored it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here