Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
IKEA now hammering their unvaccinated staff who have to self isolate by paying them basic SSP. Vaccinated staff who have to self isolate remain on normal wage.

Well done IKEA. I hope many other employers will now follow suit. It is about time those selfish anti-vax conspiracy loons got some payback.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59930206

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Tests the UK paid for, not really lending us something we’ve all paid for.

No, I’m saying if he was that concerned about it he would be telling the Rugby Union under no circumstances can they play in England with a crowd, but he won’t because he knows how unpopular that would be.

So Drakeford does something you disagree with then it his fault but if he does something you agree with it is due to Boris Johnson? Got it.

As the Six Nations is about a month away I am sure they will decide nearer the time.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Good morning night owl :)

The signs are very positive already. 35.5 million Brits have had the booster and growing, the elderly are not filling Covid wards, other wards and staff outside London are not being seconded to Covid, ICU numbers are less than a quarter of a year ago, England’s not in a lockdown and anecdotally the NHS are chasing me for minor surgery (that wouldn’t have happened in Jan 21).

In between work. Which hasn't been helped by the uncertainty round restrictions, just to prove I do see both sides of the debate.

I am the first to say it is looking a lot better. Not directed towards anyone here but we need to keep the tools in place that have allowed this such as booster shots and free testing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In between work. Which hasn't been helped by the uncertainty round restrictions, just to prove I do see both sides of the debate.

I am the first to say it is looking a lot better. Not directed towards anyone here but we need to keep the tools in place that have allowed this such as booster shots and free testing.

Apparently free testing is to carry on and so it should.

It was a shite stirring story to suggest otherwise.

I can see both sides too, in fact a couple of nsc’ers (one by pm’s) consider me to be part of the dictatorial vaccines/masks cabal!!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

I can see both sides too, in fact a couple of nsc’ers (one by pm’s) consider me to be part of the dictatorial vaccines/masks cabal!!

I think part of the problem is, certainly internationally, different things work in different countries and Covid does seem to find a way eventually and the best you can do is slow it up - which broadly speaking we did well this time to allow booster shots.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
IKEA now hammering their unvaccinated staff who have to self isolate by paying them basic SSP. Vaccinated staff who have to self isolate remain on normal wage.

Well done IKEA. I hope many other employers will now follow suit. It is about time those selfish anti-vax conspiracy loons got some payback.

As much as I like the sentiment, surely it would be easy to get round - just say you've tested negative but have come down with something else.

Either that, or unvaccinated people who are supposed to be self-isolating but are feeling ok, might just not tell their employer and come into work as normal.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Anyone who hasn’t had a vaccine is an anti vax conspiracy loon? Hmm

I know a few people who maybe dont have a letter from their doctor giving a medical reason why they havnt had ‘the’ vaccine ..but i wouldnt consider them a anti vax conspiracy loon…fortunately they dont work for ikea

Last edited:

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

I know this was only a newspaper report, but there is history of "leaking" this sort of thing to the press to test the water - can you clarify where you have seen the idea of scrapping free tests is not now the case - as that would be very good news.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I know this was only a newspaper report, but there is history of "leaking" this sort of thing to the press to test the water - can you clarify where you have seen the idea of scrapping free tests is not now the case - as that would be very good news.

The only thing I've seen is the half denials by ministers. Boris used a carefully worded testing will remain free as long as it needs to

He could of course decide tomorrow that the end of January is as long as it needs to

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Aye I’d certainly agree with that one….float the idea through a chat with a journalist as ‘something we are considering’ see the reaction and go forward from there :facepalm:

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
The only thing I've seen is the half denials by ministers. Boris used a carefully worded testing will remain free as long as it needs to

He could of course decide tomorrow that the end of January is as long as it needs to

I think that indicates that it will cease to be free as soon as the Government (Boris) thinks they can get away with it, then!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

An interview with a minister yesterday, can’t recall if tv or radio.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pm-warned-it-would-be-wrongheaded-to-remove-free-lateral-flow-tests-as-parents-urged-to-book-jabs-for-children-12512097

I choose to live in the present.

There’s no point in getting stuck in the party politicisation of all things Covid, rumours, what might be. Life’s too complex just now without the angst caused by newspaper gossip.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
An interview with a minister yesterday, can’t recall if tv or radio.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pm-warned-it-would-be-wrongheaded-to-remove-free-lateral-flow-tests-as-parents-urged-to-book-jabs-for-children-12512097

I choose to live in the present.

There’s no point in getting stuck in the party politicisation of all things Covid, rumours, what might be. Life’s too complex just now without the angst caused by newspaper gossip.

Hhmm, would have some validity if a) I had mentioned party politics and b) if parties (of ALL colours) didn't have past history for "leaking" to the press to test the waters.

I would be making the same noises, if the outcomes were the same, whatever party was in charge - as clearly health decisions SHOULD have nothing to do with party allegiance, but for the interests of ALL.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hhmm, would have some validity if a) I had mentioned party politics and b) if parties (of ALL colours) didn't have past history for "leaking" to the press to test the waters.

I would be making the same noises, if the outcomes were the same, whatever party was in charge - as clearly health decisions SHOULD have nothing to do with party allegiance, but for the interests of ALL.

I don’t know why anyone’s concerned today. Going by nsc posts, we all have so much on our personal plates just now.

I successfully make a point of NOT following the media mood music, shite stirring, what R5’s Tony Livesey calls “almost as if they want to leave us unhappier at the end of a show/programme, than we were at the beginning”.

It works, I’m able to navigate a happier self. Whilst still being au fait with current affairs, at my pace.

Life’s too short. I blank out the noise.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
reality is testing will need to scale back and i expect it sometime this year. its ferociously expensive to dole out LFT like sweeties for free, other countries already stopped. i recall reports months back they would be reviewed in new year, so may be expectation of that triggering a story. expect the guidance to change by summer to test only if you feel ill and pay for yourself, free ones for selected groups.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
reality is testing will need to scale back and i expect it sometime this year. its ferociously expensive to dole out LFT like sweeties for free, other countries already stopped. i recall reports months back they would be reviewed in new year, so may be expectation of that triggering a story. expect the guidance to change by summer to test only if you feel ill and pay for yourself, free ones for selected groups.

Anyone know how much it’s costing the UK governments per annum at present?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Apparently circa £6 billion since tests were made readily available.

Thanks.

I’d like to see pcr testing continue, the nhs variety eg at Preston Park and Withdean Stadium.

It’s generally by appointment only eg for nhs workers, checked before going back to work when covid’s in the household. It works.

And far cheaper than the private sector rip off when travelling.

Regarding lft’s, eventually we need to rationalise that, if variants continue to get milder. We have boxes of the stuff dished out by kids schools etc, some now out of date.

Now the pandemic panic’s over, states/health services have learnt a lot, once we get past this winter, a more sensible approach rather than the confetti strategy, should be agreed upon.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Again, understood that free tests can’t be dished out like Smarties for ever.

I’m probably sounding boring now to some people, I can just imagine the voices, “oh ****, here he goes again, banging on about the vulnerable”, but the vulnerable are VERY close to my heart.

Only 2 weeks ago the Government updated their advice for those previously considered “clinically extremely vulnerable”, which contained this passage.

asking friends and family to take a rapid lateral flow antigen test before visiting you

Clearly if tests cease to be free, which they will in time, then this makes the vulnerable even more, well... vulnerable!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here