Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Part of an article in the DT

Fourth Covid jabs should not be offered until there is more evidence, the head of Britain's vaccine body has said - as he warned that giving boosters to people every six months was “not sustainable”.

In an interview with The Telegraph, Professor Sir Andrew Pollard, chairman of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), said “we need to target the vulnerable” in future, rather than giving boosters to all over-12s.

Sir Andrew said there was no point in trying to stop all infections, and that “at some point, society has to open up”.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Fourth Covid jabs should not be offered until there is more evidence, the head of Britain's vaccine body has said - as he warned that giving boosters to people every six months was “not sustainable”.

In an interview with The Telegraph, Professor Sir Andrew Pollard, chairman of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), said “we need to target the vulnerable” in future, rather than giving boosters to all over-12s.

Sir Andrew said there was no point in trying to stop all infections, and that “at some point, society has to open up”.
Being 56 years old, he no doubt favours further jabs for those 55+.

Lol.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Official Scottish Government figures have now been released giving the total number of patients hospitalised with the 'Omicron Variant' who required Intensive Care treatment:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Official Scottish Government figures have now been released giving the total number of patients hospitalised with the 'Omicron Variant' who required Intensive Care treatment:

Think you’ve missed the important bit:

1 (one)

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

As a seemingly intelligent man maybe he could explain what parts of society aren't open? Can't see a lot that isn't from where I'm sitting!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Maybe he’s referring the the UK and not just England

Maybe, or maybe it’s just another voice echoing the government’s stance of “living with”...*

If enough people say something eventually it becomes the general consensus.

* yes I know that ultimately this is the case, but stop keep talking like we are now under draconian restrictions!

I will edit my post too - are many people working from home - the evidence on the roads doesn’t appear to indicate so and I don’t know anyone who is working from home, that wasn’t prior to Plan B.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Maybe, or maybe it’s just another voice echoing the government’s stance of “living with”...*

If enough people say something eventually it becomes the general consensus.

* yes I know that ultimately this is the case, but stop keep talking like we are now under draconian restrictions!

I will edit my post too - are many people working from home - the evidence on the roads doesn’t appear to indicate so and I don’t know anyone who is working from home, that wasn’t prior to Plan B.

So he’s wrong to suggest what he does? After all you said he’s an intelligent man …and obviously knows a thing or to….rest easy he’s not part of Governments Covid policy decision making…..and personally I know of people that have gone back to working from home.

Erm…” yes I know that ultimately this is the case, but stop keep talking like we are now under draconian restrictions!”….and what’s provoked this retort?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
So he’s wrong to suggest what he does? After all you said he’s an intelligent man …and obviously knows a thing or to….rest easy he’s not part of Governments Covid policy decision making…..and personally I know of people that have gone back to working from home.

Erm…” yes I know that ultimately this is the case, but stop keep talking like we are now under draconian restrictions!”….and what’s provoked this retort?

That last bit wasn’t aimed at you, but the erstwhile gentleman who wants to “open up society”, that is already pretty open, in the midst of a world health crisis.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That last bit wasn’t aimed at you, but the erstwhile gentleman who wants to “open up society”, that is already pretty open, in the midst of a world health crisis.

Ah….I kind of got the impression from the whole interview that he wasn’t referring to things as of right now, but the way he saw how the future should/could look ……here’s an extract from the bbc website relating to an interview from The Today program …it’s a viewpoint from someone who was involved with the AZ vaccine..doesn’t appear agenda driven :shrug:

Prof Pollard told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "It really is not affordable, sustainable or probably even needed to vaccinate everyone on the planet every four to six months.
"We haven't even managed to vaccinate everyone in Africa with one dose so we're certainly not going to get to a point where fourth doses for everyone is manageable."
There is not "full certainty" on whether another booster might be needed in the UK, added Prof Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group.
He said the UK would be in a good position if variants continued to lead to milder disease, as has been the case with Omicron.
"We may well need to have boosters for the vulnerable in the population but I think it's highly unlikely that we'll have programmes going forwards regularly of boosting everyone over the age of 12," he added.
Prof Pollard said those who would need further boosters were likely to be older adults or those with health conditions.
"There will be new variants after Omicron," he added. "We don't yet know how they're going to behave - and that may completely change the view on what the right thing to do is."
Prof Pollard is chair of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), which advises the government on vaccines, but he has no involvement in decision-making on Covid-19 vaccinations in the UK.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Ah….I kind of got the impression from the whole interview that he wasn’t referring to things as of right now, but the way he saw how the future should/could look ……here’s an extract from the bbc website relating to an interview from The Today program …it’s a viewpoint from someone who was involved with the AZ vaccine..doesn’t appear agenda driven :shrug:

Prof Pollard told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "It really is not affordable, sustainable or probably even needed to vaccinate everyone on the planet every four to six months.
"We haven't even managed to vaccinate everyone in Africa with one dose so we're certainly not going to get to a point where fourth doses for everyone is manageable."
There is not "full certainty" on whether another booster might be needed in the UK, added Prof Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group.
He said the UK would be in a good position if variants continued to lead to milder disease, as has been the case with Omicron.
"We may well need to have boosters for the vulnerable in the population but I think it's highly unlikely that we'll have programmes going forwards regularly of boosting everyone over the age of 12," he added.
Prof Pollard said those who would need further boosters were likely to be older adults or those with health conditions.
"There will be new variants after Omicron," he added. "We don't yet know how they're going to behave - and that may completely change the view on what the right thing to do is."
Prof Pollard is chair of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), which advises the government on vaccines, but he has no involvement in decision-making on Covid-19 vaccinations in the UK.

Thanks, that seems far more balanced then the original snippet you posted - and all makes sense!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here