Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Looks like the majority view is that we are ****ed then ? maybe I should harden up my attitude and stop worrying about those with health issues who are less fortunate than me ? I really struggle with that though, bloody compassion... I can't get rid of it. Is it because sooner or later I'm going to be that person with health issues ?

Did you push for lockdowns in previous winters when other virus killed off thousands?

If not that’s not very compassionate is it?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Totally off topic …but wishing EVERYONE on this thread a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy 2022

Goodnight

With 2020 being so spectacularly and unexpectedly shit, I think there was some understandable naivety and desperation that 2021 would be better. And in many ways it has been better - being back at the football for one has been incredibly cathartic for me. But still, on balance, for the majority of people born post WWII it will have been the second shittest year of their lives.

I honestly do believe that 2022 will be better though. We’ve come a long way since the spring of 2020. Things are markedly different now to a year ago, and whilst remaining wary of the unknown I am hugely optimistic for what the next 12 months hold in store. As we stand, I’m looking forward to taking my kids to Orlando for the first time in August; my first trip abroad since a business meeting in Abu Dhabi in November 2019. I won’t stop looking forward to it until such a time, and I hope it never materialises, it becomes impossible.

Here’s to a fúcking amazing 2022 for the good people of NSC - peace and love to you all!

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With 2020 being so spectacularly and unexpectedly shit, I think there was some understandable nativity and desperation that 2021 would be better. And in many ways it has been better - being back at the football for one has been incredibly cathartic for me. But still, on balance, for the majority of people born post WWII it will have been the second shittest year of their lives.

I honestly do believe that 2022 will be better though. We’ve come a long way since the spring of 2020. Things are markedly different now to a year ago, and whilst remaining wary of the unknown I am hugely optimistic for what the next 12 months hold in store. As we stand, I’m looking forward to taking my kids to Orlando for the first time in August; my first trip abroad since a business meeting in Abu Dhabi in November 2019. I won’t stop stop looking forward to it until such a time, and I hope it never materialises, it becomes impossible.

Here’s to a fúcking amazing 2022 for the good people of NSC - peace and love to you all!

The same to [MENTION=17745]Poojah[/MENTION] and family.

Orlando will be magical, even for the grown ups! :smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With 2020 being so spectacularly and unexpectedly shit, I think there was some understandable naivety and desperation that 2021 would be better. And in many ways it has been better - being back at the football for one has been incredibly cathartic for me. But still, on balance, for the majority of people born post WWII it will have been the second shittest year of their lives.

I honestly do believe that 2022 will be better though. We’ve come a long way since the spring of 2020. Things are markedly different now to a year ago, and whilst remaining wary of the unknown I am hugely optimistic for what the next 12 months hold in store. As we stand, I’m looking forward to taking my kids to Orlando for the first time in August; my first trip abroad since a business meeting in Abu Dhabi in November 2019. I won’t stop looking forward to it until such a time, and I hope it never materialises, it becomes impossible.

Amen to that punk:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Looks like the majority view is that we are ****ed then ? maybe I should harden up my attitude and stop worrying about those with health issues who are less fortunate than me ? I really struggle with that though, bloody compassion... I can't get rid of it. Is it because sooner or later I'm going to be that person with health issues ?

its not that we are fourstared, its the worse behind us. most of those with health issues are managing with a dose of the covid, apart from a few thousand most of which havent had the vaccine. which is the same as many thousands suffering and dieing from pnemonia, other respiratory illness every year before covid.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
No-one is saying you shouldn't be compassionate about the people who are dying, whether they are the old and frail, the already-ill, the unvaccinated, and even the very rare cases of young and healthy people dying. Compassion is a noble trait.

But don't get the impression that yours is the only form of compassion and that you are a better person than the rest of us. We may have compassion for the children whose education is threatened yet again. For the sociable elderly, perhaps with dementia, who are condemned to sit staring at the walls. For the mentally handicapped, such as the ones my nephew cares for, who cannot really understand why they can't leave the house or their families can't come and visit. For the neglected and abused children whose lifeline at school is cut off. For the people who have lost their jobs and their families who are struggling.

This is a big issue. By all means choose covid victims as your primary concern, but don't knock other people who feel that a different approach is - on balance - better for the greater good.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
No-one is saying you shouldn't be compassionate about the people who are dying, whether they are the old and frail, the already-ill, the unvaccinated, and even the very rare cases of young and healthy people dying. Compassion is a noble trait.

But don't get the impression that yours is the only form of compassion and that you are a better person than the rest of us. We may have compassion for the children whose education is threatened yet again. For the sociable elderly, perhaps with dementia, who are condemned to sit staring at the walls. For the mentally handicapped, such as the ones my nephew cares for, who cannot really understand why they can't leave the house or their families can't come and visit. For the neglected and abused children whose lifeline at school is cut off. For the people who have lost their jobs and their families who are struggling.

This is a big issue. By all means choose covid victims as your primary concern, but don't knock other people who feel that a different approach is - on balance - better for the greater good.

well put mate ......

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Big increases in hospital admissions over the last few days…….but important to note no increase at all in those on ventilators, and also interesting to see that the total number in hospital is more or less the same as the total admissions in the last week (meaning that discharges have sped up significantly too). Still nervous about how far and fast the admissions will continue to increase, and the impact of isolation on NHS staff numbers. Next few days crucial……….

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Great twitter thread from Snowdon. Putting to bed some of the ridiculous anti-government hyperbole on twitter. They've made mistakes, but they've also got plenty right while being accused of "English exceptionalism"

[TWEET]1477259256978186243[/TWEET]

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What restrictions did France have in the summer out of interest?

On and off in varying degrees - also from memory they started opening up later than us.

Masks, curfews, vaccine passes, limit on numbers in places just as restaurants and Gyms, clubs shut and I believe schools went back later - all slowly lifted - but the delay pushed the exit way to winter 80k cases of delta yesterday it seems

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Great twitter thread from Snowdon. Putting to bed some of the ridiculous anti-government hyperbole on twitter. They've made mistakes, but they've also got plenty right while being accused of "English exceptionalism"

[TWEET]1477259256978186243[/TWEET]

Enjoyed him calling out Pagel as well

Prof. Christina Pagel
[MENTION=17364]chrisc[/MENTION]hirp
·
11h
They have not done anything to prevent thousands of daily admissions over next few weeks

Christopher Snowdon
@cjsnowdon
·
11h
YOU spent months calling for Plan B. YOU said it would work. We could see that vaccine passports wouldn’t make any difference but you demanded them anyway. Same with masks. And you won. The government introduced Plan B. Now you say it’s nothing??

Prof. Christina Pagel
[MENTION=17364]chrisc[/MENTION]hirp
·
11h
Against delta I think it would have. Omicron changed the game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gurdasani must’ve found her Prozac.

In a long interview on Sky News at lunchtime, despite being fed a conveyor belt of shite-stirring questions by the very Sky-esque interviewer, she didn’t call for a lockdown or firebreak.

Instead, better quality masks in hospitals and improved ventilation in classrooms.

Other than cheering up, I suspect she’s taken a deep breath and looked at the key metrics here.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[tweet]1477970742901981185[/tweet]

...no increase in total UK numbers on ventilators for several weeks either.

The UK media just don’t report vital stuff like this.

49D6AED6-73B4-4C19-8C0B-DD91F55E0449.png

Anyone know the reason/s why?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Gurdasani must’ve found her Prozac.

In a long interview on Sky News at lunchtime, despite being fed a conveyor belt of shite-stirring questions by the very Sky-esque interviewer, she didn’t call for a lockdown or firebreak.

Instead, better quality masks in hospitals and improved ventilation in classrooms.

Other than cheering up, I suspect she’s taken a deep breath and looked at the key metrics here.

This is actually a great barometer of where we're at.

The doomsters are all slowly and quietly performing an about turn.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Thus far, and as ever let us not be complacent, the response in England is looking proportional. Keeping schools and public services up and running is going to be a major challenge though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not much of a headline is it………’numbers of people with covid on ventilators completely stable’

Against expectations, against modelling, of a swamped NHS, a sure-fire repeat of a year ago.

Instead, pump out case numbers total in a dramatic tone and find hospital trusts struggling.

Never the full nuanced picture or comparisons between nations, what worked, what doesn’t. That’s too highbrow and doesn’t grab the attention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here