Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
It's what is happening?? We can't bury our heads in the sand, if we had adopted some sensible baseline measures some time ago maybe we'd have avoided this? And what about the NHS nurses and doctors who are at the front end of this, surely their mental health matters?? They're drained after the last 18 months.

Many workers are drained after the last 18 months, not just in the health service.

No reason to shut the country down, have 100,000s lose jobs and see more businesses fold.

You lock yourself away though by all means if you are that worried.

The rest of us can get on with it.

BTW - I had COVID in late November. I know the risk. It really isn’t that bad.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A 90% rise in hospitalisations on a week ago seems…concerning

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Stop. Stop coming on here and trying to scare the shit out of people. You're a disgrace, an absolute utter disgrace and should hang your head in shame. You should be so disappointed in yourself. Do you not realise what you're doing to people's mental health? You're a sick, sick human being. Disgusting, filth.

People have been banned on here for far less, hopefully one is coming your way.

Completely agree. Not to mention I thought Crodo had stated his departure from these threads.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yet NHS chiefs have said the current level of hospitalisations doesn't meet the threshold for further restrictions

Oh yes absolutely, but let’s hope it doesn’t keep happening. The major issue at the moment is clearly availability of staff.

Yoda

English & European
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/30/uk-covid-case-numbers-hit-another-record-high-at-more-than-189000
Prof Christina Pagel, director of UCL’s Clinical Operational Research Unit, said that reported case levels in England are now more than twice as high as the previous peak last January, and have not yet peaked, while cases are rising in all groups apart from under-10s. Hospital admissions, she added, are also rising in all age groups.

While data suggested fewer admissions are leading to intensive care, Pagel said the situation was worrying. “An NHS crisis based on the wards instead of ICU is still an NHS crisis,” she tweeted

You obviously completely ignored my post yesterday explaining the increase in covid admissions. So just for you, here it is again:

Around 80% of English hospital admissions with coronavirus are admitted for other reasons. This is not the same disease we were seeing a year ago.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...hould-treated-caution-many-patients-admitted/

Treat data with caution, say experts, as situation in hospitals during omicron wave is different to ‘horrific scenes’ of a year ago

Just one fifth of the weekly rise in Covid inpatients was caused by people admitted to hospital because of the virus, figures suggest.

The most up-to-date NHS data show that on December 21, there were 6,245 beds occupied by coronavirus patients in English hospitals - an increase of 259 from the previous week.

But within that increase, just 45 patients were admitted because of the virus, with the remaining 214 in hospital for other conditions but having also tested positive - so called “incidental Covid” admissions.

Critics of the data say it is wrong to include incidental figures in the daily updates of admissions and patient totals, as they can include someone with a broken leg who has just also tested positive on admission, but may be completely asymptomatic.

It's not a worry if they are incidental cases where they don't need any treatment whatsoever for Covid.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A 90% rise in hospitalisations on a week ago seems…concerning

E1C75DF1-6C20-4E39-8D75-3F907C86D793.png

90% ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Talking of shortages, apologies if fixtures

[tweet]1476504249282576390[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That was the figure I saw being quoted, still a worrying trend right now even if it’s not (it was posted in good faith)

One of the biggest issues at the moment is unreliable numbers being bandied about all over the place….none of us have a clue what is actually going on really. Very frustrating

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
***ts

[tweet]1476232714328154127[/tweet]
Surely they can be prosecuted with the greatest of ease for theft or conspiracy to commit theft. And in the meantime, they can be slapped with bail conditions that say they must not go within half a mile of a vaccination centre, and if they do they get slapped in jail until their time for trial.

Hopefully in about 2035, what with the backlog of cases.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/30/uk-covid-case-numbers-hit-another-record-high-at-more-than-189000
Prof Christina Pagel, director of UCL’s Clinical Operational Research Unit, said that reported case levels in England are now more than twice as high as the previous peak last January, and have not yet peaked, while cases are rising in all groups apart from under-10s. Hospital admissions, she added, are also rising in all age groups.

While data suggested fewer admissions are leading to intensive care, Pagel said the situation was worrying. “An NHS crisis based on the wards instead of ICU is still an NHS crisis,” she tweeted

Deepti…Michie ..Pagel….there’s a link somewhere..just can’t put my finger on it

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
View attachment 143252

Did we get too cocky vax bro's?
If those figures mean anything at all, they mean that Germany has found a way to ensure that children under 12 are immune from coronavirus.

Children under 12 make up about 11-12% of Germany's population, and up till now about 15% of the covid cases. Only a relatively tiny number of children are fully vaccinated because they didn't start vaccinating under 12s till 15th December; so only the vulnerable in health got vaccinated. But these children with covid have now dropped to 4.5% of the total cases, even if we accept that being unvaccinated provides total immunity?

When figures can't make sense, then we shouldn't try and twist reality to make the numbers fit. If reality and theory don't coincide, it's theory that's wrong. Most likely, the cause is because (i) children are excluded from one of the figures but not the other and certain people, deliberately or accidentally, haven't spotted the discrepancy; and (ii) the survey was based on only 4,000 cases and they got an unrepresentative sample.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It's what is happening?? We can't bury our heads in the sand, if we had adopted some sensible baseline measures some time ago maybe we'd have avoided this? And what about the NHS nurses and doctors who are at the front end of this, surely their mental health matters?? They're drained after the last 18 months.
You're very good at burying your head in the sand. Ever since day 1, your position has been that we ought to be taking more precautions than we are. There hasnever been a single day when enough precautions have been taken. As far as you are concerned, there is no sensible baseline - as long as two people are on the streets of Britain at the same time, there is a risk of transmitting the virus.

Lets' look at what Pagel wants. She wants lockdown. She wants lockdown now, easing towards April. At least, that's what she says she wants.

She's is far from clear about what is going to happen next. She has produced graphs that say if we start strict lockdown now, the January wave can be cut back but by March and April cases will be rising. So will she then want to release lockdown? Of course not. She'll just want more. She says that if we have lockdown now, then we will not have staff shortages due to covid. True. If a business hasn't any staff, they can't be short staffed due to illness. And a person without a job, can't be off work sick.

She gives no indication as to what happens after lockdown. She discounts the value of vaccination, she has no hope of covid just going away - so what does she hope to achieve by a short term lockdown, except as a jumping-off point for long-term or permanent lockdown? She's the one burying her head in the sand. If we all hide for another few months, she hopes it will have gone away. That's all she's got.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Looking at excess deaths- things have been pretty stable since March 2021, omnicron has delivered no increase so far. Seems like ‘good’ news but could change moving forward obviously. To date, nothing to see by this measure.

aed642f494c71ca1cd0d7eabb73268e9.jpg

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Good, balanced thread on the current situation in hospitals

[tweet]1476821951171731459[/tweet]

Always nice to read something from the front-line so to speak, I think post 11/12 was the telling one. I keep hearing people say "it's not as bad January", but clearly according to this expert it is still bad for those working within the NHS and not so easily dismissed as some would like us to believe.

Fingers crossed over the next few weeks things will settle down a bit, though I'm not sure fingers crossed is the way to deal with a major public health issue, but if it's good enough for Boris, it's good enough for me :lol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Many workers are drained after the last 18 months, not just in the health service.

No reason to shut the country down, have 100,000s lose jobs and see more businesses fold.

You lock yourself away though by all means if you are that worried.

The rest of us can get on with it.

BTW - I had COVID in late November. I know the risk. It really isn’t that bad.

Unless you do get it bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here