Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Agree - keep the relevant figures (true, 'because of' Covid hospitalisations and 'because of' Covid deaths) but not infections.....also, suspect we'll see more like this over the coming days and weeks if the data on those figures stays manageable :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ter-covid-becomes-common-cold-says-scientist/

Extract :

Scrap Covid self-isolation and start living with virus, says scientist

Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at East Anglia, said people who test positive should be allowed to 'go about their normal lives'

Self-isolation for those catching coronavirus should be abandoned within months to allow the country to begin living with the virus, an expert has said.

Paul Hunter, Professor in Medicine at the University of East Anglia, said that the Government should consider "scaling back" measures after Easter if the virus was under control.

His comments come after the US halved the recommended isolation period from 10 days to give for people without symptoms.

The Italian government is also considering shortening quarantine rules from seven to five days for people who had booster shots to minimise the risk of disruption to the economy from the spike in omicron cases after disease experts warned 10 million could end up isolating.

Last week, South Africa announced it will stop contact tracing and end quarantine for asymptomatic cases because containment of the virus is "no longer viable".

Cripes !

Better than dying with the virus I suppose.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That's the way the stats are collected and has been for a while now. It gives us a relative figure to, for example, what the position was this time last year. The fact that no one is seriously suggesting a further lockdown in England suggest they are interpreting the stats absolutely fine without the constant Walrussing from the Telegraph.

Walrussing :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
But as you know, the huge difference and main factor is, these people aren’t being admitted with severe illness caused by covid.

This in turn is a massive factor to be taken into consideration when our politicians are deciding whether to restrict peoples right to lead a normal life or not.

I honestly think once this wave passes and we have firm data to show that omicron does in fact pose much less of a threat to us regarding severity, it’s time to stop publishing daily figures, it’s fuelling panic, it’s dividing society and becoming ever more political by the day.

But once they are identified as having Covid they are treated differently. As said previously the fact no one anywhere near the decisions making process in England, or indeed the opposition, is suggesting a lockdown anytime soon indicates they are interpreting the numbers just fine.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That's the way the stats are collected and has been for a while now. It gives us a relative figure to, for example, what the position was this time last year. The fact that no one is seriously suggesting a further lockdown in England suggest they are interpreting the stats absolutely fine without the constant Walrussing from the Telegraph.

It’s a nice balance to The Guardian’s ottering though..don’t you think

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Walrussing :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I find the whole thing a bit tedious. It would seem that the government in England have got it about right this time, although no room for complacency, etc. , but instead of thinking job done some people want to spend all day discrediting the data. For one thing we don't know if the data the people who make these decisions receive doesn't include the split.

Before Covid was a twinkle in a Bat's eye flu season has been challenging for the NHS so asking them not to concentrate on doing their jobs so they can collate data in a way to please the Telegraph is massively insulting. We might be at a point when the weather gets better in a few months to review asymptomatic carriers having to isolate - or more likely tests won't be given out to people with no symptoms - but until then then we all need to appreciate that although the circumstances are better they are far from ideal.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
UK Gov say Scots welcome on NYE, Sturgeon says don’t go but can’t stop them.

caused more issues by jumping the gun and refusing to back down.

Could get interesting over the next couple of days, how can she stop them unless a full lockdown?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hope you and yours keep well and safe Harry.

To you and to [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION], thanks for the good wishes :thumbsup:

I tested positive yesterday (2 x lateral flow) and went for pcr testing today. I have a bit of a cough, no temperature, not much appetite, and feel a bit weak, so almost no different from how I am normally :drool::mad:

And I feel better today than I did yesterday. The lateral flow test results gave a second pink line that was so feint I was hoping to blag my way into claiming the test was negative, till Mrs T took a look and admonished me :eek:

Those of you who have yet to have this thing, all I can hope is that it is a mild for you as it seems to be at chez Tackle. :thumbsup:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
To you and to [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION], thanks for the good wishes :thumbsup:

I tested positive yesterday (2 x lateral flow) and went for pcr testing today. I have a bit of a cough, no temperature, not much appetite, and feel a bit weak, so almost no different from how I am normally :drool::mad:

And I feel better today than I did yesterday. The lateral flow test results gave a second pink line that was so feint I was hoping to blag my way into claiming the test was negative, till Mrs T took a look and admonished me :eek:

Those of you who have yet to have this thing, all I can hope is that it is a mild for you as it seems to be at chez Tackle. :thumbsup:

On the face of it, that is good news. I am now in my 4th week of feeling really under the weather. I am a lot better than the first two weeks in but seem to have 'stuck' with a range of symptoms. I think I was unlucky to get Delta most probably and that on top of being boosted a couple of days before.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
183,037 (one hundred and eighty three thousand and thirty seven) new cases, staggering.

Yoda

English & European
183,037 (one hundred and eighty three thousand and thirty seven) new cases, staggering.

I know, Northern Irelands cases have sky rocketed. From 3k, to just under 23k. That's over a 600% increase. :eek:

Perspective. Northern Ireland's record includes 5 days worth of cases.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Good! :thumbsup:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

A big number, yes - certainly compared to previous waves, however not unexpected or necessarily deeply concerning. This snippet from the lead article on the BBC right now helps provide some useful context.

It should come as no surprise that cases continue to rise and that's translating into more people ending up in hospital.

This is likely to continue for some weeks yet - but it's important to look beyond the raw numbers.

The rapid jump in people in hospital - up 2,000 in England in two days - is likely to be partly down to a drop in people being discharged.

Last Christmas, the numbers leaving hospital more than halved as it is more difficult to discharge over the festive period.

It means there could be hundreds in hospital who have recovered from Covid but not yet left.

The proportion in hospital for what is known as an incidental admission is also growing. These are people who are being treated for something else, and just happen to have Covid.

Last week they accounted for nearly a third of cases. However, the numbers who are seriously unwell with Covid are still going up.

Hospital numbers though are continuing to rise more slowly than cases, once again showing the Omicron variant is leading to milder illness.

And there are signs infection levels in London, which was hit by Omicron first, may have already peaked.

If that is the case and the trajectory is repeated elsewhere, it could mean the burden on the NHS peaking at half the level seen last winter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59822687

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
You can probably double that 180,000 for actual cases who didn't get tested.

This will be over in two weeks, everyone who can get it will've got it. The great thing is that deaths are still falling.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
[tweet]1476267708102721549[/tweet]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
[tweet]1476267708102721549[/tweet]

269915715_10160463018018118_2494753504639115353_n.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports