Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
BREAKING: Omicron is 50-70% LESS likely to result in hospitalisation than Delta early data shows - U.K. Health Agency

Drakeford looks like a fool at the moment, said it was as dangerous as Delta.

Are these figures for full vaccinated people?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
yeah I saw that he didn't now that I've looked him up [emoji106]

also I saw that he's got form for this sort of sensationalist bollocks:
https://stevengambardella.medium.com/on-umair-haque-abdd762860b
I also have no epidemiological background but whenever I read something written about "science", but in that sort of emotive language (such as "I bet you're feeling chills after reading that right? Wait until you hear how much worse it gets...") Then I assume it's bollocks or someone trying to sell something

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I also have no epidemiological background but whenever I read something written about "science", but in that sort of emotive language (such as "I bet you're feeling chills after reading that right? Wait until you hear how much worse it gets...") Then I assume it's bollocks or someone trying to sell something

yep. that's what really ticks me off about that piece more than anything else, the way it's written. for someone with no scientific background to write in such a patronising, conceited tone is honestly risible. highlights include "you're not a virologist" (when neither is he) and "you're probably thinking like and idiot now" (for not thinking that COVID will combine with rabies). having read some responses to it, it's now clear that It's not even close to being true, it's flat out science fiction, which I'm aware [MENTION=72]dwayne[/MENTION] probably didn't know.

thankfully the article has been taken to task by actual scientists on twitter. it would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that articles like that could seriously damage people's mental health and set them into a panic. the writer is an absolute scumbag who ought to be ashamed

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Looking at the BBC news website there is an article simply saying that if you have a sore throat,headache,but tired,runny nose,cough and loss of smell and taste you probably have Covid now apart from the taste and smell issue i have had and still have those symptoms for the last four days but my daily L/F are negative so like many people that are asking what is going on because i feel that i am suffering from a cold and nothing more. My second point is what has happened to those stories and that's what they appear to be about this latest variant doubling up every day ? Simply do the maths because by now every one in the UK should be infected.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Looking at the BBC news website there is an article simply saying that if you have a sore throat,headache,but tired,runny nose,cough and loss of smell and taste you probably have Covid now apart from the taste and smell issue i have had and still have those symptoms for the last four days but my daily L/F are negative so like many people that are asking what is going on because i feel that i am suffering from a cold and nothing more. My second point is what has happened to those stories and that's what they appear to be about this latest variant doubling up every day ? Simply do the maths because by now every one in the UK should be infected.

I think the latest stat I heard on this was doubling every two to three days, rather than every day, but your point still stands. If we were at 90,000 official cases four or five days ago, then in theory we should be well over the 300k threshold by now. Now, it may be that a milder version of the virus is resulting in more completely asymptomatic cases which therefore aren’t presenting for PCR tests, but regardless this feels more like much of the media spiel in recent weeks has taken the most bleak theoretical scenarios and reported them as the most likely.

I think the scientific community has something to learn about PR, going off this latest stream of comms. It may be selective reporting by the media, I can’t be certain, but science had gained so much respect on a global scale in detecting and learning about this virus so quickly, and then developing vaccines in literally world record beating time frames. It would be a shame if some of that respect and trust was lost through a perception of sensationalism and doom-mongering.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think the latest stat I heard on this was doubling every two to three days, rather than every day, but your point still stands. If we were at 90,000 official cases four or five days ago, then in theory we should be well over the 300k threshold by now. Now, it may be that a milder version of the virus is resulting in more completely asymptomatic cases which therefore aren’t presenting for PCR tests, but regardless this feels more like much of the media spiel in recent weeks has taken the most bleak theoretical scenarios and reported them as the most likely.

I think the scientific community has something to learn about PR, going off this latest stream of comms. It may be selective reporting by the media, I can’t be certain, but science had gained so much respect on a global scale in detecting and learning about this virus so quickly, and then developing vaccines in literally world record beating time frames. It would be a shame if some of that respect and trust was lost through a perception of sensationalism and doom-mongering.

Possibly an element of people saying ‘I’ve only got a bit of a sniffle, I’m not going to test and risk buggering Xmas up’ too……..?

To my mind there’s a very clear line between the scientists developing vaccines, sequencing the virus etc, and the modelling doom-mongers who seem to delight in spreading fear.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:mad::mad:

DT extract…….

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...tients-may-have-caught-virus-hospital-making/

Up to one in three Covid patients may have caught the illness in hospital, official figures show - amid warnings over any use of data to justify new lockdown restrictions.

At the peak this week, 31 per cent of Covid patients included in the NHS' daily admission figures for London had already been in the hospital for more than a week before testing positive, suggesting transmission occurred on the ward.

Separate figures show that of more than 6,000 patients in hospitals across England who have tested positive for coronavirus, 29 per cent of them are primarily being treated by doctors for other conditions.

Amexarmadillo

Dec 22, 2021

DT extract…….

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...tients-may-have-caught-virus-hospital-making/

Up to one in three Covid patients may have caught the illness in hospital, official figures show - amid warnings over any use of data to justify new lockdown restrictions.

At the peak this week, 31 per cent of Covid patients included in the NHS' daily admission figures for London had already been in the hospital for more than a week before testing positive, suggesting transmission occurred on the ward.

Separate figures show that of more than 6,000 patients in hospitals across England who have tested positive for coronavirus, 29 per cent of them are primarily being treated by doctors for other conditions.

Blame the unvaxxed!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I appreciate with Boris it is practically impossible to guess - but what do we reckon will happen with restrictions? Will we avoid any? Will he wait until 2nd January or something? Will it be between christmas / new year?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I appreciate with Boris it is practically impossible to guess - but what do we reckon will happen with restrictions? Will we avoid any? Will he wait until 2nd January or something? Will it be between christmas / new year?

Whatever Boris thinks will keep him in a job for another week.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

once christmas is past he'll be easier to push to restrictions. if the hospitalisation start going up we'll be in tighter lockdown in new year, if they stay low we'll carry on as we are.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
once christmas is past he'll be easier to push to restrictions. if the hospitalisation start going up we'll be in tighter lockdown in new year, if they stay low we'll carry on as we are.

Presumably you mean Christmas Day? Will be tricky for a lot of people travelling all over the place if he announces something on boxing day. We're supposed to be making the 330 mile trip to West Devon on 27th.

If, say, restrictions were announced for 28th, would we have to come back again even though already in that household? Would people listen? Or are they more likely to close pubs etc.?

The idea of shutting nightclubs is frankly ridiculous given that they tend to be more or less empty from Christmas till February, barring new years eve.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The idea of shutting nightclubs is frankly ridiculous given that they tend to be more or less empty from Christmas till February, barring new years eve.

Generally on the 'whole' yes - but actually a lot of dance music night clubs are probably at their busiest 26th Dec -2nd Jan

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

DT extract…….

If people are catching it in hospital then they are still catching it and can still go on to infect others.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Presumably you mean Christmas Day? Will be tricky for a lot of people travelling all over the place if he announces something on boxing day. We're supposed to be making the 330 mile trip to West Devon on 27th.

If, say, restrictions were announced for 28th, would we have to come back again even though already in that household? Would people listen? Or are they more likely to close pubs etc.?

you would at the very least know on the 26th in that scenario, as parliament needs 48 hours notice to be recalled.

that being said I'm (maybe wishfully) thinking that the public appetite for more restrictions simply isn't there, especially after a week of fairly good news on the omicron front

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
you would at the very least know on the 26th in that scenario, as parliament needs 48 hours notice to be recalled.

that being said I'm (maybe wishfully) thinking that the public appetite for more restrictions simply isn't there, especially after a week of fairly good news on the omicron front

Even Dr Jenny sounded cautiously optimistic today…….any immediate further restrictions look pretty unlikely

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here