Great work by @GuptaR_lab and colleagues on Omicron suggesting:
- High escape from NAbs
- Reduced spike cleavage efficiency
- Lower infectivity of lung cells
- Similar/higher infectivity of epithelia
- Impaired fusogenicity / ability to form syncytia
1/
https://t.co/PppJQ7JySX https://t.co/VGAV7ZNmyC

Sorry I was shite at science at school, what are “NAbs”?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I tell you what, if you ever find yourself with twenty minutes to spare, go back and read through this thread from the beginning.

Honestly, give it a go. I started at page 1 and skipped ahead 10 pages at a time until the first full lockdown announcement.

It's utterly fascinating as an historical record.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I tell you what, if you ever find yourself with twenty minutes to spare, go back and read through this thread from the beginning.

Honestly, give it a go. I started at page 1 and skipped ahead 10 pages at a time until the first full lockdown announcement.

It really is fascinating, with a little touch of de ja vu thrown in.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But you remembered what “cleavage efficiency” is?

:bounce::bounce: :blush:

8B00947B-B728-4B83-8C76-8063AF8BAE25.jpeg

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Looks like the peak of omicron wave may have passed not only South Africa, but also the UK, at least according to some.

On the one hand this is being sold as something requiring us to stay at home and not mix, on the other hand it's being suggested it's already over; it's a bit bizarre.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Looks like the peak of omicron wave may have passed not only South Africa, but also the UK, at least according to some.

On the one hand this is being sold as something requiring us to stay at home and not mix, on the other hand it's being suggested it's already over; it's a bit bizarre.

I don't actually think it's bizarre....it's just a lack of unequivocal data at this stage to be able to make a concrete decision. I may be wrong but I think England's waiting a bit longer before putting further restrictions in is starting to look like a good decision - the Scots won't forgive Sturgeon for cancelling Hogmanay if we're right :lolol: Let's hope the trickle of positive indicators (and they are definitely increasing) turns into a flood over the coming days.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Sturgeon is taking the easy option for her personally / politically- it’s arse covering. Bring in measures- if it gets worse she says ‘I told you so, I was right to do that’ - if it doesn’t get worse she says- ‘see, my measures worked and helped to ensure it didn’t get worse.’

She personally is not impacted by the negative impacts on individuals, businesses, football clubs etc. If they complain she says these were necessary steps and she had no choice.

BJ’s path involves a greater personal / political risk - because if it does get quite a bit worse in the future there will be people queuing up to say he got it wrong and demand his resignation.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I don't actually think it's bizarre....it's just a lack of unequivocal data at this stage to be able to make a concrete decision. I may be wrong but I think England's waiting a bit longer before putting further restrictions in is starting to look like a good decision - the Scots won't forgive Sturgeon for cancelling Hogmanay if we're right :lolol: Let's hope the trickle of positive indicators (and they are definitely increasing) turns into a flood over the coming days.

I was more thinking it's the that dichotomy of the outcomes that is bizzare. It's either:

A) already passed; or
B) the NHS will be overwhelmed and won't be able to keep up with day-to-day tasks.

There doesn't seem to be any middle ground presented as an option!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I did that not so long ago. And you’re correct. Fascinating. I was particularly naive.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hospitalizations in London.....

nothing to see here.PNG

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hospitalizations in London.....

View attachment 142980

Where’s that graph from?….I’ve seen it said that quite a large percentage of recent hospital admissions in London have been through other ailments but happen to test positive …also this might have some influence

“An epidemic of the unvaccinated?

Doctors and NHS trust leaders have complained frequently in recent days that the vast majority of hospitilised Covid patients in London are unvaccinated.

On Tuesday, Rupert Pearse, an intensive care consultant, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that the number of unjabbed people at Queen Mary’s University Hospital was between 80 and 90 per cent.

Telegraph data show that coronavirus case rates are 50 per cent higher in areas with the worst vaccine uptake compared to the best.

The highest case rate in the country is Acre Lane in Lambeth, south London, where 3,610 per 100,000 are infected and 32.4 per cent are unvaccinated.

In areas where more than 30 per cent of the population have not received a single dose, the average case rate is 921 per 100,000, compared to 603 per 100,000 where fewer than 10 per cent are unvaccinated.”

Meanwhile in Wales £60 fine for unnecessarily going to the office ..but popping to the pub no problem

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Where’s that graph from?….I’ve seen it said that quite a large percentage of recent hospital admissions in London have been through other ailments but happen to test positive …also this might have some influence

“An epidemic of the unvaccinated?

Doctors and NHS trust leaders have complained frequently in recent days that the vast majority of hospitilised Covid patients in London are unvaccinated.

On Tuesday, Rupert Pearse, an intensive care consultant, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that the number of unjabbed people at Queen Mary’s University Hospital was between 80 and 90 per cent.

Telegraph data show that coronavirus case rates are 50 per cent higher in areas with the worst vaccine uptake compared to the best.

The highest case rate in the country is Acre Lane in Lambeth, south London, where 3,610 per 100,000 are infected and 32.4 per cent are unvaccinated.

In areas where more than 30 per cent of the population have not received a single dose, the average case rate is 921 per 100,000, compared to 603 per 100,000 where fewer than 10 per cent are unvaccinated.”

Meanwhile in Wales £60 fine for unnecessarily going to the office ..but popping to the pub no problem

Latest NHS numbers for London.

848947FD-01E7-4BC9-A397-926E5B3E4ADD.png

8D1F3890-E211-4DB7-B68B-3033976480C5.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here