Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'm starting to find the joy you get from all this a little disturbing. Aside from that whilst I have been out enjoying normality I didn't spot the bit where Javid became prime minister. Could you please post a link to the news article confirming this quite significant change as a quick scan of news sites tells me little

I don't get any joy from it so if my posts have come across that way I apologies. The truth is there are no good options dealing with this, it's trying to find the least bad. Today reports suggest as many as one third of the NHS workforce could be off sick by New Years Eve. If that is the case how can it function when demand is going to increase significantly in the coming weeks?? I don't want a lockdown but I think the best way to avoid a lockdown is to have other less obtrusive measures in place, and if we had done a few weeks ago and stemmed the tide and stopped doubling every 2-3 days maybe we'd have been able to ride it out. The option to do nothing though and keep our fingers and toes crossed everything will be ok is not a realistic one.

It seems obvious I've got some backs up on here so I'm taking a break from this thread, it's getting as divisive as some in the bear pit. I wish you all a happy and safe festive period and hope we can all have a much more enjoyable 2022 (and I'm optimistic with this wave and given how infectious it is and the immunity this will further build up that we can begin to get much more closer to normal in the next 12 months).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s as least as bad as what [MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION] was banned for IMO.

In other news, ****s.

Anti-vaxxers are block-booking appointments at mass vaccination centres, it has emerged, in an apparent attempt to prevent others receiving the life-saving jab.

The tactic has reportedly been used before at other sites, but it is understood some slots were booked out at Wembley Stadium on Sunday.

It comes after anti-vaccination demonstrators took the streets of London the day before in protest at new Covid restrictions, causing scuffles with police outside Downing Street.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...k-book-appointments-stop-people-getting-life/

Vile f***ers.

It’s a shame Johnson is a profound libertarian and doesn’t have the balls to legislate against these c***s. Lock em down over Christmas I say! Why? That will then give Police the power to break up their protests and arrest them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't get any joy from it so if my posts have come across that way I apologies. The truth is there are no good options dealing with this, it's trying to find the least bad. Today reports suggest as many as one third of the NHS workforce could be off sick by New Years Eve.

that would be in excess of 300k NHS workers off ill. many not front line. have to wonder who makes this stuff up and why.
does the source outline the contingency planning to mange this, other than locking down the population?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I’m beginning to agree with you here, while most of my recent ire has been aimed at those on the other side of the fence, there is an uneasy feeling that these posts are being put on here to stir the hornets nest.

Like you I couldn’t find any links to any “actual” proposals. So Crodo either has a personal link to Mr Javid and is in the know, or alternatively is making up worse case scenario options for the sake of shit stirring. I mean people on here are now arguing and name calling about curfews, etc., when sod all has been announced.

Gives me that uneasy feeling he is throwing out these cluster bombs for the effect they have on the forum.

Just do as I tend to do to, ‘he’ amongst a few other posters. I just scroll past their posts, As to me they just appear to be ‘parody accounts’ who seem set up to relish in wind ups and have little or nothing to add to what some of us deem ‘serious’ or at least ‘concerning’ events affecting us all in these difficult times.
You would think ‘some’ people would have better things to do than delight in this sort of behaviour.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

In other news, ****s.

Anti-vaxxers are block-booking appointments at mass vaccination centres, it has emerged, in an apparent attempt to prevent others receiving the life-saving jab.

The tactic has reportedly been used before at other sites, but it is understood some slots were booked out at Wembley Stadium on Sunday.

It comes after anti-vaccination demonstrators took the streets of London the day before in protest at new Covid restrictions, causing scuffles with police outside Downing Street.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...k-book-appointments-stop-people-getting-life/

Complete and utter *****.

You don't want the vaccine? Fine, your choice. But denying others who want it the chance to have it is just ****ing sick.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It seems likely that some further guidelines/measures/restrictions are going to be coming in soon, or at least announced soon, maybe starting next week…

Clearly Omicron is spreading rapidly but there are conflicting reports as to the severity, which is the critical factor. I have read things ranging from cases and hospitalisation in South Africa are decreasing (it’s really not that bad, its actually good), through to its not that much less severe than Delta, albeit all caveated with the usual we don’t know for sure yet.

I find it strange how there can be such a wide range of opinion of the severity, even accounting for the uncertainty.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Just do as I tend to do to, ‘he’ amongst a few other posters. I just scroll past their posts, As to me they just appear to be ‘parody accounts’ who seem set up to relish in wind ups and have little or nothing to add to what some of us deem ‘serious’ or at least ‘concerning’ events affecting us all in these difficult times.
You would think ‘some’ people would have better things to do than delight in this sort of behaviour.

Very good advice, it’s just that as someone who has household all of which are deemed as clinically vulnerable, excepting me, I tend to worry and read too much.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Meanwhile in Israel, Natalia Bennett admits Omicron has passed through the Iron Shield.

"Three weeks ago, I warned the citizens of Israel that a new wave was coming, the Omicron wave. One day later, the Corona Cabinet convened and we decided - the first in the world - to bar foreign nationals from entering Israel,” Bennett said in a televised address.

“The time that we bought is running out. The Omicron is already in the country, from the Knesset (parliament) to kindergartens, and it is spreading fast."BBC

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Meanwhile in Israel, Natalia Bennett admits Omicron has passed through the Iron Shield.

"Three weeks ago, I warned the citizens of Israel that a new wave was coming, the Omicron wave. One day later, the Corona Cabinet convened and we decided - the first in the world - to bar foreign nationals from entering Israel,” Bennett said in a televised address.

“The time that we bought is running out. The Omicron is already in the country, from the Knesset (parliament) to kindergartens, and it is spreading fast."BBC

Off-topic but "The Corona Cabinet" is a cracking name for a band

Yoda

English & European
The short fall from an early scientific study by the University of Hong Kong into how the Omicron variant infects the human body:

The researchers found that Omicron infects and multiplies 70 times faster than the Delta variant and original strain in the human bronchus - (which may explain why Omicron may transmit faster between humans than previous variants).

Their study also showed that the Omicron infection in the lung is significantly lower than the original strain & Delta, which may be an indicator of lower disease severity. The infection in this location is what was causing the build up of fluid in the lungs (pneumonia) in the severe cases.

This research is currently under peer review for publication.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That second tweet shows cases are now falling and didn't get as high as they had in June/July.

Something can't be right with that?

cases and hosptialisations are indeed going down this past week. the height likely due to being a Gauteng regional count, the national number shows a slightly higher peak last week. Gauteng is where a lot of mines are and i read the miners are getting vaccinated more the general population.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

In other news, ****s.

How do you block book though? Surely you can only book yourself for one jab?

If someone can disrupt the system that easily it needs fixing...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Agree - it's encouraging but we need unequivocal data for UK cases. Another week or so perhaps.......

Remembering to cater for the fact the figures are likely to be a bit skewwhiff due to Christmas, don't forget

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here