Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sadly the government has been slow to react and give proper clarity on the Winter surge. Too little and too late as usual with mandatory mask wearing and even then giving exclusions for pubs and restaurants

they have mask mandates in Europe, look at how well they are doing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Went to a long-arranged Christmas Dinner last night. We had a small number of our group drop out of the event as they have big family Christmas events planned, but most still attended. We had a private room and all took LFTs beforehand and avoided close contact. However, interesting to see place was otherwise absolutely rammed, with barely a mask in sight. As we left a disco was in full swing, also packed. Caution seems to have been thrown to the wind for a large number, can’t see any chance of a lockdown being observed to anything like the same level previously.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
So, what's the answer? Do nothing?

the vaccines are the answer. we're not suffereing harsher effects of the virus due to such high adoption of vaccines, even if we get covid, the disease is mild.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
the vaccines are the answer. we're not suffereing harsher effects of the virus due to such high adoption of vaccines, even if we get covid, the disease is mild.

There's that "we" again!

Forgetting for one minute those that make a conscious decision not to get vaccinated, there are the millions who either can't have the vaccine or for who the efficacy is unknown!

They are the ones that need some idea as to how they will be protected going forward.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Went to a long-arranged Christmas Dinner last night. We had a small number of our group drop out of the event as they have big family Christmas events planned, but most still attended. We had a private room and all took LFTs beforehand and avoided close contact. However, interesting to see place was otherwise absolutely rammed, with barely a mask in sight. As we left a disco was in full swing, also packed. Caution seems to have been thrown to the wind for a large number, can’t see any chance of a lockdown being observed to anything like the same level previously.

I think there are a lot of people being cautious this week in the lead up to Christmas for fear of testing positive and therefore having to self-isolate and miss out. Once that's over and there's nothing particularly exciting happening, we'll find even more people happy to take risks. I agree that lockdowns won't be observed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
they have mask mandates in Europe, look at how well they are doing.
Yes, equivalent size European countries all have less cases than us and yes they're vaccinated to a similar level to us...so the " look over there " defence for the UK is wearing a bit thin....

The official line is " we need to slow the spread and ramp up the booster programme in order to slow the spread... " Oh, but feel free to go to Nativity plays, Christmas parties and other public places and mix..."

Thanks to that stupidity there is now talk of a pre Christmas Circuit Breaker!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Yes, equivalent size European countries all have less cases than us and yes they're vaccinated to a similar level to us...so the " look over there " defence for the UK is wearing a bit thin....

look at recent data, countries with more restictions have seen massive surges in covid from October. this shows the effects of masks are limited. its not "look over there", there's no competition, its studying the data for real evidence.

or they've had a more virilent from ripping through undetected, no one is suggesting that. open to other hypothesis to explain the data.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The big question is whether the current level of covid cases actually leads to a dramatic increase in ICU / deaths. If it doesn’t, we are in the same place we’ve been since July which has seemed manageable with no additional restrictions.

Big picture, surely no one wants an saga going on for years where we have to panic when cases go up etc. Ideally we get to a place where we can deal with this the same way we deal with flu- with annual jabs offered to elderly / high risk folk, and everyone just stay at home / avoid contacts if you get Ill etc. Put an end to testing, restrictions and panicking and get back to life as we knew it.

I hope this latest saga turns out to be not too serious, if it doesn’t lead to high ICU / deaths then we can ditch restrictions ASAP, otherwise- we do what is needed to get through this and then we are back around to spring and we ditch measures then and prepare for next winter- maybe for that we could offer booster jabs to the elderly / high risk folk earlier- e.g. give them all a chance to get one before end of Sept so that they are in place before the winter season.

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Have the people who want lockdown, said what they hope to achieve by it? Are they hoping that if we lockdown in January, then the whole omicron thing will have disappeared by February? Or that by February the natural spike will have ended and we'll be back to relatively low levels ongoing?

Because it seems to me that the most likely scenario, if we lockdown in January and succeed in reducing the case numbers, that the case numbers will go up again if we release in February. So we have to lockdown in February and release in March - but the cases will shoot up in March, so we lock dwon in March - ad infinitum. Or at least, until the virus does in fact disappear of its own accord, without herd immunity, and without any new vaccine.

So the question I would want answering by lockdown supporters, the professionals I mean, not necessarily people on here - in the scenario they put forward, do they expect lockdown in January to end before February, and if so, what will have changed to make that possible?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Similar to this dithering from March 16th 2020, when the bleeding obvious was staring them in the face, the advice was to "avoid".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51917562

Like I said a few posts back, this has a real feeling of de ja vu about it...

Just look at our near neighbours, so much like March 2020. Johnson is now a lame duck PM

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Have the people who want lockdown, said what they hope to achieve by it? Are they hoping that if we lockdown in January, then the whole omicron thing will have disappeared by February? Or that by February the natural spike will have ended and we'll be back to relatively low levels ongoing?

Because it seems to me that the most likely scenario, if we lockdown in January and succeed in reducing the case numbers, that the case numbers will go up again if we release in February. So we have to lockdown in February and release in March - but the cases will shoot up in March, so we lock dwon in March - ad infinitum. Or at least, until the virus does in fact disappear of its own accord, without herd immunity, and without any new vaccine.

So the question I would want answering by lockdown supporters, the professionals I mean, not necessarily people on here - in the scenario they put forward, do they expect lockdown in January to end before February, and if so, what will have changed to make that possible?

They are looking to avoid the total collapse of the National Health Service. Have you not been listening AT ALL? Until we get to a point where we can manage the virus and keep the NHS on it’s free et without lockdowns then we are going to be stuck in this cycle. It’s really not that difficult.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

I guess the hope would be by that point the boosters would have taken more of an effect, as it seems that they're key to fighting Omicron.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Didn't you nip into the disco to show your moves, you never lose it.

0:29:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
They are looking to avoid the total collapse of the National Health Service. Have you not been listening AT ALL? Until we get to a point where we can manage the virus and keep the NHS on it’s free et without lockdowns then we are going to be stuck in this cycle. It’s really not that difficult.

though as noted before, the NHS remained on its feet a year ago with cases 30% higher than current high end prediction.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The attention seeker's still loving his 15 minutes of fame.

"Piers Corbyn, the anti-lockdown protester, has been arrested on suspicion of encouraging people to burn down MPs' offices.

The Metropolitan Police said a man in his 70s - who it did not name - was arrested in south London in the early hours of Sunday.

"The arrest relates to a video posted online in which people were encouraged to burn down MPs' offices," the force said.

Earlier, the Met said it was assessing a video which appears to show Mr Corbyn, 74, calling for MPs' offices to be burned down.

The video, shared on social media, shows the brother of former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn criticising politicians who voted for Covid restrictions.

After decrying "those scum who have decided to go ahead with introducing new fascism", the 74-year-old tells a crowd in the video: "You've got to get a list of them... and if your MP is one of them, go to their offices and, well, I would recommend burning them down, OK. But I can't say that on air. I hope we're not on air." ".

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The attention seeker's still loving his 15 minutes of fame.

"Piers Corbyn, the anti-lockdown protester, has been arrested on suspicion of encouraging people to burn down MPs' offices.

The Metropolitan Police said a man in his 70s - who it did not name - was arrested in south London in the early hours of Sunday.

"The arrest relates to a video posted online in which people were encouraged to burn down MPs' offices," the force said.

Earlier, the Met said it was assessing a video which appears to show Mr Corbyn, 74, calling for MPs' offices to be burned down.

The video, shared on social media, shows the brother of former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn criticising politicians who voted for Covid restrictions.

After decrying "those scum who have decided to go ahead with introducing new fascism", the 74-year-old tells a crowd in the video: "You've got to get a list of them... and if your MP is one of them, go to their offices and, well, I would recommend burning them down, OK. But I can't say that on air. I hope we're not on air." ".

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here