Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's a dangerous precedent to set. This time you're happy to accept it because it's something you agree with, in the future that power is very open to abuse. There's no going back once we're all chipped.

Fair point. I'm not sure what I think about that (now I've long since given up buying drugs, etc.) :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You dont need drugs to see the issues with mass surveillance.

Well, maybe you do, but plenty of others dont.

WRT mass surveillance, could that be why 'Asian Women are looking for Faversham Male'? I get this across the top of NSC regularly.

Personally....I'm not sure if I care. Do I care? Mmmmmm.......yyyyyyyyyy....no

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
WRT mass surveillance, could that be why 'Asian Women are looking for Faversham Male'? I get this across the top of NSC regularly.

Personally....I'm not sure if I care. Do I care? Mmmmmm.......yyyyyyyyyy....no

Silly me thinking you might care about something that doesnt affect you personally.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I fear it already is washing up on our shores, cases up again, 13% week on week, another 40k cases daily and huge strain on the NHS, I don't know how it can cope with 1,000 people a day being hospitalised with covid and regularly around 10k beds occupied by people with covid, possibly for a short time but like this all the way until Spring?? It's time for some further sensible baseline restrictions to bring cases down to a more manageable level before the inevitable post Xmas surge with all the indoor mixing taking place.

And just think, we could all avoid unwanted restrictions if we'd all just behave differently. Put we didn't. All led by our glorious leaders.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Avoiding restrictions with behaviours enforced by the law doesn’t seem to be stopping restrictions in Europe.

That's like comparing apples and pears. Much has been made of the different trajectories we are on. Still doesn't stop the simple fact that mask wearing does reduce transmission.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Germany next (Telegraph extract)

Germany may impose curbs on the unvaccinated

GERMANY could introduce lockdown measures for unvaccinated people within days amid rapidly rising coronavirus infections.

Those who refuse the jab could be limited to meeting just one person from outside their household and barred from non-essential travel from as soon as Friday in the region of Saxony.

Under existing rules, the measures will come into force automatically if more than 1,300 hospital beds in the region are occupied by Covid patients for three consecutive days. Bed occupancy crossed this threshold on Monday.

The rules will come into force on Friday if numbers do not drop by today.

Saxony and Bavaria are among a number of German regions that already require proof of vaccination for people to enter restaurants, bars, nightclubs, cinemas and leisure centres. The Bavarian regional government is pressing for the same restrictions to be imposed nationwide.

Germany and Austria have vocal anti-vaxxer movements and have lagged behind their European neighbours on jabs. Austria has seen public protests after it became the first European country to impose a lockdown on the unvaccinated on Monday.

“It comes down to this: a kind of lockdown for the unvaccinated. It cannot be otherwise,” Markus Söder, the Bavarian regional leader, said.

“The intensive care units are full of people who could have protected themselves ... If we had vaccinated faster, like Spain and Portugal, we wouldn’t have this situation in the hospitals. Politicians can’t help it if people won’t get vaccinated.”

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

GERMANY could introduce lockdown measures for unvaccinated people within days amid rapidly rising coronavirus infections.

Those who refuse the jab could be limited to meeting just one person from outside their household and barred from non-essential travel from as soon as Friday in the region of Saxony.

Under existing rules, the measures will come into force automatically if more than 1,300 hospital beds in the region are occupied by Covid patients for three consecutive days. Bed occupancy crossed this threshold on Monday.

Saxony and Bavaria are among a number of German regions that already require proof of vaccination for people to enter restaurants, bars, nightclubs, cinemas and leisure centres. The Bavarian regional government is pressing for the same restrictions to be imposed nationwide.

Germany and Austria have vocal anti-vaxxer movements and have lagged behind their European neighbours on jabs. Austria has seen public protests after it became the first European country to impose a lockdown on the unvaccinated on Monday.

“It comes down to this: a kind of lockdown for the unvaccinated. It cannot be otherwise,” Markus Söder, the Bavarian regional leader, said.

“The intensive care units are full of people who could have protected themselves ... If we had vaccinated faster, like Spain and Portugal, we wouldn’t have this situation in the hospitals. Politicians can’t help it if people won’t get vaccinated.”

Wonder if they will start on people who maybe drink more than a certain number of units of alcohol …don’t exercise to a certain metric…don’t eat the ‘right’ food…..etc etc

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think you will see quite a bit of furore in Austria as well if it is anything other than a very short temporary thing. Any longer than the 10 initial days and there will be chaos.

Again... read some history and you'll find out why people do not want this kind of surveillance. Imagine Stalin or Hitler with access to information on everyones ethnicity, where they currently are and so forth. That there will never again be any rulers of that sort is very unlikely considering how many times it has happened in the past.

I'd also argue that a solution like that would likely be a lot less resisted than in a lot of other countries. UK is by far the most surveillance heavy and censored country in Western Europe.

That sort of data is freely available already. If you own a phone, a laptop or have walked somewhere with CCTV or had your photo posted on a friend's Insta or Facebook you are already in the system. The ship has sailed.

Just from interacting on here you know who I am and what I do and I know the same about you.

Vaccines have absolutely nothing to do with it, other than being something you ought to do, because society exists.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That sort of data is freely available already. If you own a phone, a laptop or have walked somewhere with CCTV or had your photo posted on a friend's Insta or Facebook you are already in the system. The ship has sailed.

Just from interacting on here you know who I am and what I do and I know the same about you.

Vaccines have absolutely nothing to do with it, other than being something you ought to do, because society exists.

Agree with all of this.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Impressive. So mask wearing cuts transmission by 53%, hand washing cuts it by 53%, physical distancing by 25%. Cumulatively, that's a 83.5% reduction if we do all three. I think we've cracked it.

How long does it take to see the results? Surely Scotland and Wales must be seeing the benefits by now?

You seem to be a bright enough chap, so I'm sure you're not going to be saying the thing that some really quite stupid people keep repeating...

"Look at country X, they have masks and their cases are high / higher than ours"

...with a strong implication that masks do not work.

We legislate the seating of seat belts in cars, but people still die in road accidents. We don't say "That bloke wore a seat belt and died, therefore seat belts don't work", we say "That bloke wore a seat belt and died, but we know that without seat belts more people will die in road accidents."

As someone who has read enough to be convinced on the merits of mask-wearing as a tool to suppress (but NOT stop) viral spread, I say:

"Look at country X, they have masks and their cases are high / higher than ours. They would be higher still if they didn't wear masks at all."

But I know mask denialists won't consider this alternative so I'll post this and piss off again.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Just under 70k cases yesterday and a test positivity rate of 15% :facepalm:

I am a fan of vaccine passports, but it seems they need to be tougher than being seen to work properly

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
You seem to be a bright enough chap, so I'm sure you're not going to be saying the thing that some really quite stupid people keep repeating...

"Look at country X, they have masks and their cases are high / higher than ours"

...with a strong implication that masks do not work.

We legislate the seating of seat belts in cars, but people still die in road accidents. We don't say "That bloke wore a seat belt and died, therefore seat belts don't work", we say "That bloke wore a seat belt and died, but we know that without seat belts more people will die in road accidents."

As someone who has read enough to be convinced on the merits of mask-wearing as a tool to suppress (but NOT stop) viral spread, I say:

"Look at country X, they have masks and their cases are high / higher than ours. They would be higher still if they didn't wear masks at all."

But I know mask denialists won't consider this alternative so I'll post this and piss off again.
Correct. I'm not going to say that.

But the figures quoted seem far too good to be true. OK, they say that the handwashing part is too small to be statistically significant. But 53% reduction from mask wearing, and only from mask wearing? That means if two identical countries with identical levels of coronavirus have identical policies apart from wearing a mask, then after three R number cycles, the mask wearers will have only 10% of the coronavirus levels as the non-mask wearers. That's so impressive as to be unbelievable. Either the 53% figure is bound with loads of caveats, or else it means something different from the obvious.

The other thing the survey doesn't quote is the long term effects. Does mask wearing suppress coronavirus only in the short term, or for ever? It may be that it just holds it back until a big surge later. I don't know. Does mask wearing affect the long term health of the wearer, in that it prevents small doses getting in but means that when the big does comes, the wearer is less prepared? I don't know.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Correct. I'm not going to say that.

But the figures quoted seem far too good to be true. OK, they say that the handwashing part is too small to be statistically significant. But 53% reduction from mask wearing, and only from mask wearing? That means if two identical countries with identical levels of coronavirus have identical policies apart from wearing a mask, then after three R number cycles, the mask wearers will have only 10% of the coronavirus levels as the non-mask wearers. That's so impressive as to be unbelievable. Either the 53% figure is bound with loads of caveats, or else it means something different from the obvious.

The other thing the survey doesn't quote is the long term effects. Does mask wearing suppress coronavirus only in the short term, or for ever? It may be that it just holds it back until a big surge later. I don't know. Does mask wearing affect the long term health of the wearer, in that it prevents small doses getting in but means that when the big does comes, the wearer is less prepared? I don't know.

53%, 5.3% or 0.53% - I don't care. Wearing a mask reduces the risk of you passing on an infection to others to some degree.

As it happens at the end of last week I was walking around, infected with COVID, and didn't know. As ever when I went into shops I put my mask on. There's a chance by doing this I may have saved someone else from being infected. I may have saved someone highly vulnerable becoming infected, either directly from me, or from someone in between us.

If I didn't bother wearing a mask because "they don't work" or because "not many other people are" or "everyone else only wears them as chin warmers" or any other spurious reason I may cling to in order to try and justify my lack of empathy for others, then there would have been a higher chance of me passing it on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here