Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I predicted this would happen in this very thread.

Europe has had low cases at the wrong time. They were being too cautious.

We have had consistently high cases for some time resulting in maintaining our high levels of immunity.

There is always a risk of our bumpy line becoming an upward trajectory, another wave, but we are in a considerably better place than Europe is right now.

Ahh, thanks for that.

I foolishly thought that our high levels of immunity might have been connected to high levels of take up of the vaccine, unlike Austria, where it is 65%.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I tend to agree that we won’t ban moronic anti vaxxers like Mustafa from venues. Not because we shouldn’t but because Boris Johnson usually ignores medical wisdom and does not like imposing rules, even when required.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Without a doubt, but having high exposure to the virus over many months is why we're not seeing a dangerous wave like Europe is right now.

That’s just plain wrong. Probably the daftest thing you’ve said so far. And there’s plenty to choose from.

Mainland Europe has had huge levels of exposure over many, many months. It’s because of high vaccine uptake. Something which you cannot claim credit for. Other people did the work for you.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION] & [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] are both correct.

The relatively high vaccine uptake in the UK was the initial game changer.

Then a higher exposure to the virus in a widespread opening up from July onwards, especially amongst kids to thirties, created natural immunity in many millions of other folk.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
[MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION] & [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] are both correct.

Then a higher exposure to the virus in a widespread opening up from July onwards, especially amongst kids to thirties, created natural immunity in many millions of other folk.

Well, at first glance that’s a bit of a chicken and egg situation but the fact is we opened up because
we had a great vaccine take up. That’s why so many people were immune.

We were immune so we opened up. Not the other way round.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think you have issues mate. You're foaming at the mouth, disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing now.

I'm not anti-vax, I'm very much pro-vax. if there is such a thing.

You don't seem the brightest person on here, but if you can't understand the relation between exposure to an antigen and increased immunity, then you should probably rethink posting on these threads.

This isn’t an binary issue. El Pres and you are both correct.

It may or may not have been by design (overtly by design would’ve been slammed as evil ‘Herd Immunity’), but what you’re describing really did happen in the UK over these last few months.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think you have issues mate. You're foaming at the mouth, disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing now.

I'm not anti-vax, I'm very much pro-vax. if there is such a thing.

You don't seem the brightest person on here, but if you can't understand the relation between exposure to an antigen and increased immunity, then you should probably rethink posting on these threads.

You have misread the situation. This seems to be something you do.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A population will of course build immunity with exposure. That immunity works far better when supported by vaccination. Our brilliant vaccination program was the reason we opened up in July and did not go back into Lockdown as we did before the vaccination was available.

Nobody who has swerved the vaccine can know if they have immunity and how long they will have it for. Or how many vulnerable people they will expose to Covid while they gad about thinking they have super-immunity. The NHS wards are mainly full of people with that exact attitude, right now. Putting NHS staff at risk.

What were these people doing while the vaccine was being rolled out? Just hanging back, waiting to see if they could get away with dodging it? What were they doing before they thought they had immunity?

The ones who decided they didn't need the vaccine have benefitted hugely from those that had it and they owe a heartfelt debt of gratitude. There are always those who are willing to sit back and let others do the work. Luckily they are in the minority, otherwise there wouldn't be the widespread immunity that they enjoy now.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Have you thought about a role at the UN :wink:

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Don’t think so, this is just another minor scare. All these periodic viruses rarely kill more than a few nun died worldwide yet the media goes nuts about 2 deaths in China, a country with 3 billion people. I bet 2 people fell off ladders and died in China in last hour alone. Nah, seen and heard enough of these ‘outbreaks’ during my life to know this will pass without too much alarm. Yes I am being complacent but only because I’m right. We love an end of the world is nigh story and Hollywood has an awful lot to answer for!

Spot on mate.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp..../12/covid-cases-surging-europe-america-denial

Why is this happening again in Europe after the Delta wave passed through and high rates of vaccination were achieved? There are a few important reasons. First, there are a large proportion of unvaccinated individuals in each country, and only countries such as Spain at 80% and Portugal at 88% that fully vaccinated their total populations have set a high bar and have thus far withstood the continental trend of rise in cases. Noteworthy is Belgium with 74% fully vaccinated and one of the hardest-hit countries in the world, now at 79/100,000, currently 10th highest caseload globally. That alone tells us 74% isn’t enough, and that prior Covid (without vaccination, what some refer to as “natural immunity”) is unreliable for representing a solid immunity wall against the Delta variant. In fact, it has been projected for Delta that any country needs to achieve 90-95% of its total population fully vaccinated (or with recent Covid) in order to have population-level immunity that covers, providing relative protection, for the others

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
PCR results back. Bozza jnr is positive, as expected, Mrs B is negative but I am also positive.

Best wishes, mate.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Listening to the radio, there are increasing issues in the NHS, with delays in treatment (and diagnosis) reflected in the increase in excess covid-unrelated deaths (see below). Boris has been told, hence his cautious press statement last week (that went largely unnoticed). New case levels seem stable, and hospitalizations stable, and the latter much lower than in last winter's peak, BUT there is no sign that hospitalizations are falling, and we seem to have reached a steady level, and this steady level is incompatible with the long term effectiveness of the NHS.

We as a nation seem prepared to put up with a number of ill people dying avoidably, and the odd horror story of acutely ill people not getting swift ambulance attention, in return for 'freedom' to not wear a mask, freedom to mingle and freedom to go about our lives 'normally'. This is not how I would go about things yet I have optimism. My optimism comes from the tendency in biology for successive mutants to be more easily spreadable but less lethal (killing the host does not favour survival of the infection). However, if the next mutant is nasty and spreads quickly this will tip the balance toward restrictions again. Feeling lucky, people?

Lastly, the smug unvaccinated should take note that the massive increase in cases in Germany and Holland and other nations right now is due to fewer people receiving the vaccine (than in the UK). Every individual vaccinated reduces the risk of a nationwide spike in cases. There is no rational or credible reason to not be vaccinated.

And although we don't yet have a new covid spike, the current plateau would be lower, and the NHS less pressured, if more people took their vaccine when it is/was offered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here