Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Jul 25, 2021
It's curious how the "people aren't wearing masks properly" line only seems to come from those determined not to wear a mask themselves, as if their observation justifies their own position.

It's like they believe two wrongs do actually make a right.

Anti-Vac/anti-mask people are getting discussed as if they're genres now. People are really starting to lose the plot now with all this delusion covid is giving them.

Covid seems more and more like a weapon of mass divide the more you read people discussing it. The hatred its offering people couldn't be more alarming. This forum is a brilliant example. So many covid experts on here but yet generalisations and sensationally extreme examples seem all these experts want to discuss. It's as if we're going through a war with our own neighbours.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The bold bit is a copout. Look, I've found you some and they're not expensive or complicated. It just needs to be a tight fit to stop you breathing through the gaps and taking in the lingering aerosols (something I see many mask wearers do)

https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/hygiene-face-mask-ffp3-n99

There's a further caveat to what you've said, it's only reducing risk if you catch it and are asymptomatic. Everyone with symptoms is still getting a test and isolating, surely.

I'm also helping the NHS by having a vaccine, I'm less likely to catch and spread covid and less likely to go to hospital. This is proven by numerous studies, a tonne of data with no caveats or human error in the process. Sadly for me this isn't overtly visible so I can't show it off to others (if I was that way inclined) to prove how much I care.

So why don't you go the full hog and have me in a full hazmat suit with it's own oxygen supply? In fact one can't be too careful, perhaps I shouldn't leave home?

You are trying to Walrus me to cover up the fact you are being selfish.

To repeat, you not wearing a face covering makes, in a small way, restrictions coming back more likely and me wearing one makes it less likely. All your faux-intellectual flights of fancy don't change that.

Jul 25, 2021
So why don't you go the full hog and have me in a full hazmat suit with it's own oxygen supply? In fact one can't be too careful, perhaps I shouldn't leave home?

To repeat, you not wearing a face covering makes, in a small way, restrictions coming back more likely and me wearing one makes it less likely. All your faux-intellectual flights of fancy don't change that.

:lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anti-Vac/anti-mask people are getting discussed as if they're genres now. People are really starting to lose the plot now with all this delusion covid is giving them.

Covid seems more and more like a weapon of mass divide the more you read people discussing it. The hatred its offering people couldn't be more alarming. This forum is a brilliant example. So many covid experts on here but yet generalisations and sensationally extreme examples seem all these experts want to discuss. It's as if we're going through a war with our own neighbours.

I'm not a Covid expert, and would never profess to be. Quite the opposite, I'm happy to admit I know absolutely nothing. I've got zero background in epidemiology, virology and large-scale public healthcare.

Nor do I hate anyone at all.

I can make observations though. I might be wrong, of course. Any observations any of us make are a small sample size and anecdotal. And there's confirmation bias at play too of course.

But I want to do anything I can to stop other people getting ill, dying and giving our health service a fighting chance. I want to be able to continue to go to pubs, restaurants, cinemas, gigs and the football throughout the winter months. Wearing a mask may help or it may not, but as it costs me nothing at all I'm prepared to take the gamble. The Sage guys and gals seem to think we should though, and they know a lot more than me about this stuff:

If enacted early enough, a relatively light set of measures could be likely be sufficient to curb sustained but slow growth. As well as encouraging home working, more light touch measures could include clear messaging that recommends people acting cautiously, more widespread testing, a return to requiring all contacts of cases to isolate, and more mask- wearing.​

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

Can only speak for myself but I make up for abandoning my Science studies at GCSE level by listening to experts for the last 18 months. Now I am sure someone will pop up and say they originally didn't recommend mask wearing but my meagre knowledge of scientific approach thinks changing your conclusion when the evidence changes is a good thing. I will never apologise for taking the word of these people ahead of those whose main argument for not wearing a face covering is they don't want to anymore.

Let's take trains for an example. I use this example ahead of the Amex as some people have to use trains to get to work so it isn't optional. The government have said mask wearing is now a matter of personal choice but give a list of situations where they recommend it. The second part seems to get forgotten by a lot of people. On top of this the rail companies ask you to wear a face covering when on a train.

Me wearing a face covering is in response to this. Now that said, if I was in a carriage on my own I probably wouldn't because at the moment there is flexibility to allow that. If the majority of people don't follow the guidelines at the moment they are increasing the chances of it becoming mandatory again which will remove mine and everyone else's flexibility to not wear one while on their own.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
It's curious how the "people aren't wearing masks properly" line only seems to come from those determined not to wear a mask themselves, as if their observation justifies their own position.

It's like they believe two wrongs do actually make a right.

Excuse me. I made my observation knowing full well I had been wearing my face covering correctly. Please retract that dig.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
It’s just incredible how Bill Gates knows all about the next pandemic already. Almost just like when he said vaccines were the best investment opportunity late 2019 [emoji3166]

b94fcc29c06b16732a923e20e7e0c20c.jpg

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

And ain’t that the truth! Never ever In my lifetime has more been done to divide society in two than I’ve seen in the last 5 years. Brexit, LGBT, BLM, Covid, left/right wing etc etc. It’s relentless and almost all perpetuated by the media and the tech content giants.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I'm not trying to cover anything, my position is is quite clear. All I'm doing is pointing out your hypocrisy. If you're going to lecture people at last get your own house in order.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I'm not trying to cover anything, my position is is quite clear. All I'm doing is pointing out your hypocrisy. If you're going to lecture people at last get your own house in order.

No, what you are doing is trying to debunk an opposing viewpoint to yours by setting up a straw man argument against someone taking steps to improve a situation by criticising them for not taking an additional step that would exceed the current government guidelines and is certainly uncommon (admittedly not unheard of) in an attempt to deflect from your own selfishness.

I see you.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It’s just incredible how Bill Gates knows all about the next pandemic already. Almost just like when he said vaccines were the best investment opportunity late 2019 [emoji3166]

b94fcc29c06b16732a923e20e7e0c20c.jpg

The fate in the top left corner states September 15th 2021. Here is the on line version

You are either and idiot or a liar.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Conspiracy theory duly reported to the mods.

:drama::drama:

So presenting potential conspiracy is now banned is it? Although I dont see the consipracy? Gates is talking about the next pandemic. Thats fact. Im saying it's strange he knows it's coming. He also promoted buying Vaccine shares in 2019, thats fact too?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
To be fair with one noticeable exception no one on here is suggesting going back to lockdown and likewise I suspect most on here who won't have the vaccination draw the line and protesting against people who do.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
You clearly implied the article was from 2019. Don't try and kid a kidder.

I didn’t at all. I said that Bill Gates told people that investing in vaccines was one of the best investments in 2019. He has an uncanny knack to see into the future does our Bill.

ea339d74de4612d7b21cb8111962fad4.jpg

Jul 25, 2021
I didn’t at all. I said that Bill Gates told people that investing in vaccines was one of the best investments in 2019. He has an uncanny knack to see into the future does our Bill.

Confirmation bias probably won't allow him to process that tweet. Conspiracy theory is one hell of an effective term.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
No, what you are doing is trying to debunk an opposing viewpoint to yours by setting up a straw man argument against someone taking steps to improve a situation by criticising them for not taking an additional step that would exceed the current government guidelines and is certainly uncommon (admittedly not unheard of) in an attempt to deflect from your own selfishness.

I see you.

If I cared what you or anyone else thought of me I wouldn't engage in this conversation as on this forum I'm clearly in the minority, I'd just keep quiet like the rest of the silent majority.

We should end it here, everyone's set out their position and nobody's changing their mind did there's no point in continuing the aggro forever

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

The Gates Foundation has been campaigning for vaccines for years.

For the avoidance of doubt, are you suggesting Bill Gates was part of a conspiracy that created and/or spread Covid-19?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here