Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There are always going to be thousands of deaths from covid, for the rest of time. That is the sad reality of having a new pathogen that will always exist throughout global populations.

If you think 5,000 deaths is bad, wait until flu season, where fatalities from covid (and flu) will dwarf that number. And it will always be that way; forever.

This summer has been a relative success because restrictions have been lifted and we have demonstrated that society can live with the virus. The rate of infection is high enough for all of us to be frequently exposed to covid, giving us all a better chance this winter, but not too high as to cause the NHS serious issues.

Deaths with a positive test for Covid in the last 28 days.

Not necessarily from Covid.

Total excess death graphs show lower numbers, the only universal measure between states. All others metrics are arbitrary and vary between countries.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Me thinks it was a plan to get a certain age group vaccinated.

So far as I can see that means no legally entirely domestically based enforceable restrictions now exist in the UK?

Scotland voted them in 2/3 days ago, going to be interesting to see if icola backtracks as it wont help her independence wishes

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Scotland voted them in 2/3 days ago, going to be interesting to see if icola backtracks as it wont help her independence wishes

That rather depends how things pan out over the winter months.

She may possibly be able to say "look at those idiots South of the border" - it's a big political/health gamble by both leaders.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
As they are saying you can pass Covid even when vaccinated, it makes the passport meaningless.

The Vaccine reduces the chance of the virus being passed on, but doesn't eliminate the possibility.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I posted this in the 'Contact Tracing App' thread but, as it's got very little traffic on, will copy the post into this one too:

I'm a little surprised that this thread hasn't been contributed to for six months, especially given the most recent posts on it, but I'll share my recent experience.

I was pinged for the first time on Sunday morning, about 02:30, while on the last train into Brighton, returning from Berlin via Stansted. There is zero possiblity that I'd been in contact with someone in the UK that had tested positive in the four hours I was in the UK. This is because positive tests take at least a day to be confirmed. When in Berlin, I was with a few people from the UK but none of those have tested positive (or been pinged).
This seems to leave two options as to why I've been pinged:
1, I was in contact with a non-UK national in Berlin that tested positive -- this would indicate that the NHS Covid app has access to the details of non-UK nationals
2, the app behaves in a random way -- not good, as public trust in it is paramount (and that's without flagging up its colossal expense, which will have made a significant contribution to the NI hike)

Anyone want to propose further options, or can comment on those posed and/or your experience of this?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I posted this in the 'Contact Tracing App' thread but, as it's got very little traffic on, will copy the post into this one too:

I'm a little surprised that this thread hasn't been contributed to for six months, especially given the most recent posts on it, but I'll share my recent experience.

I was pinged for the first time on Sunday morning, about 02:30, while on the last train into Brighton, returning from Berlin via Stansted. There is zero possiblity that I'd been in contact with someone in the UK that had tested positive in the four hours I was in the UK. This is because positive tests take at least a day to be confirmed. When in Berlin, I was with a few people from the UK but none of those have tested positive (or been pinged).
1, I was in contact with a non-UK national in Berlin that tested positive -- this would indicate that the NHS Covid app has access to the details of non-UK nationals
2, the app behaves in a random way -- not good, as public trust in it is paramount (and that's without flagging up its colossal expense, which will have made a significant contribution to the NI hike)

Anyone want to propose further options, or can comment on those posed and/or your experience of this?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

How long were you told to isolate for by the ping?

You can work out from that when the contact was.

If you’re on an iPhone you can also delve into settings and see positive matches. There’s probably something similar on Android too.

(The app won’t have cost very much at all in the big scheme of things, certainly not enough to impact taxation. The logistics required to operate the massive testing programme is a different matter…)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Screenshot_20210914-183835~2.png

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Great news everyone, the Health Secretary has confirmed this morning it's impossible to give Covid to people you know

[tweet]1438023721017556994[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here