[Albion] Liam Rosenior - Next Brighton manager?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Feels like an amazing number 2, maybe not a number 1
"Hull’s 1-0 defeat by Plymouth on Saturday meant they missed out on the play-offs by just three points. But Rosenior’s efforts were enough to make him one of three nominees for the Championship manager of the season award, won by Ipswich boss Kieran McKenna."

So nominated as one of the 3 for manager of the season in that league, but you think he's not good enough to be anything but an assistant manager ....? really ?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

'This will test relationship between owner and fans' - analysis​

BBC Radio Humberside sports editor Mike White:

It’s caught a lot of people out, me included – the timing of this just seems a really odd decision.

When Liam Rosenior came in Hull were just outside the relegation places. He improved them defensively, then they rebuilt in the summer and this season City were in a great position at one point to be in the play-offs.

I remember asking the owner at the first game of the season at Norwich, what was the minimum expectation? And the answer was ‘top 10’.

They may say when they got to January they went to great lengths to strengthen a squad that was believed to be good enough to make the play-offs. They didn’t – but they (only) didn’t on the last day of the season and that’s where a lot of the questions will come.

The board may feel they’ve got a plan and Liam Rosenior had to be moved on for them to develop this plan further.

Everything they’ve done has been positive and fans have felt they’ve got their club back again, but this will be one that’s going to test that relationship for the first time between the ownership and the fanbase.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

'This will test relationship between owner and fans' - analysis​

BBC Radio Humberside sports editor Mike White:

It’s caught a lot of people out, me included – the timing of this just seems a really odd decision.

When Liam Rosenior came in Hull were just outside the relegation places. He improved them defensively, then they rebuilt in the summer and this season City were in a great position at one point to be in the play-offs.

I remember asking the owner at the first game of the season at Norwich, what was the minimum expectation? And the answer was ‘top 10’.

They may say when they got to January they went to great lengths to strengthen a squad that was believed to be good enough to make the play-offs. They didn’t – but they (only) didn’t on the last day of the season and that’s where a lot of the questions will come.

The board may feel they’ve got a plan and Liam Rosenior had to be moved on for them to develop this plan further.

Everything they’ve done has been positive and fans have felt they’ve got their club back again, but this will be one that’s going to test that relationship for the first time between the ownership and the fanbase.

I've known Mike for about 20 years. He is a big Hull fan as well as getting to live his dream job of commentating on them every week. He speaks very highly of Liam, which is no surprise.

It's one of those sackings that does seem odd when you first look at it, probably in the same way us getting rid of Hughton looked odd to a lot of people. It will be interesting to see what their next move is, get it wrong and they will lose a lot of good will with the fanbase.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
3 wins and 16 points in last 13 matches has done for him, particularly a 6 game winless run, and after expectations raised with an 8th place finish the season before.

Derby got rid too. Rightly or wrongly, questions will be asked about Rosenior's toughness.

Thr Championship can be brutal.
Seems like a shoe in for Potter.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Ipswich's promotion has addled the Hull chairman's brain. He clearly thinks he's entitled to a bit of 'non-parachute money' promotion too. He's lost his grip on reality.

Not only did Rosenior play over 160 times for Hull - the most appearances for any of his clubs - but he also go promoted with them in 2012/13 , and us in 2016/17, so he knows exactly what it takes to get out of the division. You'd have thought he'd be in a great position to kick on in 24/25, especially with 24/25 being a weaker division than 23/24.

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I hope for Hull's sake that their plan is something better than "let's get a manager a bit better than Liam", because one of the managers a bit better than 23/24 Liam is 24/25 Liam and he'd have slotted in seamlessly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hope for Hull's sake that their plan is something better than "let's get a manager a bit better than Liam", because one of the managers a bit better than 23/24 Liam is 24/25 Liam and he'd have slotted in seamlessly.
Hull's sake? f*** them. f*** THEM!

I hope Liam bounces back somewhere nice.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
This is always a weird one for me. Owners appoint a young manager and don't seem to realise that, like young players, they will learn and improve year on year.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My apologies, I was doing that condescendingly nice thing that's British for 'you total ****s'.
It's never as clear in type as in person.
I used to start my replies in here to BG with "I normally agree with you, but on this occasion....."

It has to be utterly preposterous to work :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Aaron Paul praising Liam to the hilt and decrying the sacking as baffling on R5 now.

papachris

Seems a bad decision to me. I think he deserved to have another go next season. He's a young manager and I'm sure he learned a lot this season and knows what he may do differently next time.
Hull need to be careful they are not the next Birmingham City and we know how that turned out.
Good luck to Liam in his next position, I am sure he will do well.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
LR did extremely well considering their budget.

I hope he gets another opportunity soon.

Their budget? I Think they had the biggest net spend in the league last season, and that doesn’t factor in the 8 loan signings they had which were very strong overall.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Look at the loan signings he had. Was a good amount of PL quality youngsters in, some we have been linked to in the last few windows.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
He stills lives near Derby I think - so can commute to quite a few places from there - wherever his next job is - am sure Sky would have him back as a pundit while he waits for next job

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports