Kettering Town

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
From the BBC:

Troubled Kettering Town have had an interesting build-up to their home game with Bashley in the Evo-Stick Southern League this afternoon. Bookmakers stopped taking bets on an away win as the Poppies looked set to start the game with just 10 men, but they have now named 11 players - including a reserve goalkeeper starting outfield and one player, Ben Gathercole, who hasn't arrived at the ground yet. Chaos. They will have no substitutes at all.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Things not going to well for them at all, just seen this on wikipedia:

Things hit a new low at Kettering Town when only thirty-four people attended their 2-0 win over Peterborough Northern Star in the Northants Hillier Senior Cup on 2 October 2012.

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
Things not going to well for them at all, just seen this on wikipedia:

Things hit a new low at Kettering Town when only thirty-four people attended their 2-0 win over Peterborough Northern Star in the Northants Hillier Senior Cup on 2 October 2012.

Northants Hillier cup is real Micky mouse local cup , so not surprised at the attendance but they are struggling big time. they have taken over Rushden & Diamonds old ground and the existing chairman Ladak is looking for a takeover. Every week in the local rag they say they have interested parties but nothing comes of it. same way as Diamonds i fear.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
From the BBC:

Troubled Kettering Town have had an interesting build-up to their home game with Bashley in the Evo-Stick Southern League this afternoon. Bookmakers stopped taking bets on an away win as the Poppies looked set to start the game with just 10 men, but they have now named 11 players - including a reserve goalkeeper starting outfield and one player, Ben Gathercole, who hasn't arrived at the ground yet. Chaos. They will have no substitutes at all.

Taking bets on non league football is a risky business unless you have your fingers on the pulse. Not so easy to monitor build up patterns as the Football League.

Punters had a field day in a game between Eastleigh & Bromley a couple of years back. Eastleigh were so riddled with injuries & suspensions, their team included a 16 year old in goal plus two 15 year old outfielders.

Despite these factors, Corals still continued to generously offer 7/4 on a Bromley win. I know a couple of people who cleaned up that day. :thumbsup:

The situation at Kettering sounds bleak. They were once a strong club in The Conference but have been struggling on & off the field for years. Appointing Paul Gascoigne as Manager several years back probably wasn't one of their smarter business moves.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Let's face it, we've all played in Sunday league teams where you end up starting a game with only ten men due to late, usually hungover, withdrawals. I remember an opponent starting with nine. To our horror they scored within about a minute of kick off, after which we hit (I think) 19 without further reply :lolol:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Let's face it, we've all played in Sunday league teams where you end up starting a game with only ten men due to late, usually hungover, withdrawals. I remember an opponent starting with nine. To our horror they scored within about a minute of kick off, after which we hit (I think) 19 without further reply :lolol:

We started with 9 once, in the home teams reserve kit, as ours was with our other two/three players who got lost in their car on the way to the ground & never turned up. We lost 3-0 & went on to lose out on the league title to the same team on goal difference. They kindly put the trophy on display at the entrance to the changing rooms the following year to show what we coudda won. We did win it the very next season

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
We only had 11 today for our Sunday league game... Played the last 20 minutes with 10 due to an injury to our CB :(

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We only had 11 today for our Sunday league game... Played the last 20 minutes with 10 due to an injury to our CB :(

Which is grim enough. But my 5 a side team a few weeks ago played the whole game with just the 3 of us, 3 (THREE) people dropped out without saying a word and left the rest of us absolutely stranded. We lost 6-1, but at 1-1 I hit a post (my trademark) so we could easily have led. We didn't, and we went on to get royally battered.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Abandoned my game today as a player suffered a double break in a 50/50 challenge. Poor bastard was left for 30 minutes until the ambulance turned up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports