It's Humble Pie Time, isn't it?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I feel quite embarrassed for you with a post like that.

We've just won (fortunately) for the first time in ages, and we're one place outside the drop zone in division three. Can we at least see some good football, a decent string of results and watch the manager play these new signings in their correct positions before posting smug "told you so" drivel like this? Cheers.

But yes, a win was very welcome and the business in this transfer window has been highly encouraging.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
What the f***? Humble pie? Did we get promoted or something? 3 wins this season isn't enough to call Micky the messiah again yet. Hopefully we will trun it round. And i will be wrong. But i can't admit it yet on the basis we are 19th in the table.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah please no posts starting with "To all you Micky doubters"...

I have never doubted his ability to attract decent level players, but so far he has not shown great ability in "managing" them. (Cough Thornton, Virgo anyone?)

Unless we come above 7th NO humble pie should be eaten by anyone on here.

Guess what? We're not going to come above 7th.

But here's to a better second half of the season and starting to look more competitive next season. Just a shame we wasted all this time dismantling the team.

Last edited:

What? We have won the league, already promoted and playing with invincible defence and strikers lining up to bury the ball in the onion-bag?

...oh....we beat the mighty lower-mid-table Hartlepool ....at home.... after falling behind....and only in the last minutes of play.... while playing the usual lumping-it-forward-hopefully style of football.

Yes, yes it is GREAT cause for celebration. It ought to become a national holiday ffs. :rolleyes:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
What all the others have said. Great signings, but then I felt the same in the summer. Now let's see some results on the pitch please.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Would we have signed such an array of players this transfer window had Micky not been the manager? Absolutely no chance. It's been a disappointing season, but I can't believe recent news could leave any Albion fan to feel anything less than optimistic.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You know who you are. Let's hear it!

Well done, Mickey!

KEEP THE FAITH

:ascarf:

Idiot.

I feel quite embarrassed for you with a post like that.

We've just won (fortunately) for the first time in ages, and we're one place outside the drop zone in division three. Can we at least see some good football, a decent string of results and watch the manager play these new signings in their correct positions before posting smug "told you so" drivel like this? Cheers.

But yes, a win was very welcome and the business in this transfer window has been highly encouraging.

On the nail.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Let's hope we do what we did at the end of MA's first season - go on a long unbeaten run and win the league next year.

At the moment however, there is no humble pie to be eaten.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
You know who you are. Let's hear it!

Well done, Mickey!

KEEP THE FAITH

:ascarf:

Well said. There's no doubt at all that Micky's pulling power has enabled us to attract players that wouldn't have been interested before.

I suppose the moaners can continue to revel in their bitterness for a while longer as, no doubt, anything short of promotion this season will be criticised as utter failure.

The rest of us can just enjoy the prospect of an improvement in the second half of the season, and real possibilities for next year when Micky has his own team in place from the very beginning.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well said. There's no doubt at all that Micky's pulling power has enabled us to attract players that wouldn't have been interested before.

I suppose the moaners can continue to revel in their bitterness for a while longer as, no doubt, anything short of promotion this season will be criticised as utter failure.

The rest of us can just enjoy the prospect of an improvement in the second half of the season, and real possibilities for next year when Micky has his own team in place from the very beginning.

As I've already posted on another thread, I've never once seen anyone question Adams' ability to attract good players - just his ability to use them correctly once he's got them.

If we go on a good run now, and he doesn't play McNulty up front or Davies in goal, then I'll give credit where its due. Whatever happens between now and May though, doesn't change all the stupid mistakes made since August though, so there'll be no humble pie served in these parts.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

This convenient polarisation may make life for you and some others simpler but it has little base in reality. Yes, there are some who will moan whatever and yes, there are some for whom Adams & Knight can do no wrong. The reality is though that the majority lie somewhere inbetween and are thinking that after the utter shite they've had to watch this season it's a little early to be getting the bunting out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As I've already posted on another thread, I've never once seen anyone question Adams' ability to attract good players - just his ability to use them correctly once he's got them.

If we go on a good run now, and he doesn't play McNulty up front or Davies in goal, then I'll give credit where its due. Whatever happens between now and May though, doesn't change all the stupid mistakes made since August though, so there'll be no humble pie served in these parts.

Seconded. Basically saying the same as me.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Is the original post referring to the fact that we signed McNulty despite all the muppets criticising the board for being unrealistic? If so - for once I can feel just a little bit pleased with myself. :p

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This convenient polarisation may make life for you and some others simpler but it has little base in reality.

"Convenient polarisation" or not, I couldn't care less. After 30 years of watching the Albion I've learned to take the rough with the smooth, and realised that there's bound to be the occasional bad spell. This season has been rubbish a lot of the time, but a few of the performances and the narrow nature of many of the defeats have always suggested that given a bit of time things will turn around, and we'll actually be a lot better off in the long run than in the days when we were pinning unrealistic expectations on a group of kids - some of which have proved not to be good enough.

In the meantime, I could go to games with my mind set that it's going to be crap and to moan at all costs. But I prefer to head along hoping to see an enjoyable game and with a bit of luck (which we haven't had much of this year), we'll get a win. I don't expect us to play football like Manchester United (or even Leicester at the moment) - I just want to see the players give it their best, and enjoy an afternoon's relaxation.

On Saturday, it seemed to me we played reasonably well for three-quarters of the game and were abysmal for about 20 mins either side of Hartlepool's goal, where our lack of confidence was clear to see. The players dug in, and therefore, in a tight match, fully deserved to pinch the points although the result could have gone either way.

And yet there were still plenty of people whingeing incessantly. If I hated watching a team that much, I just wouldn't bother going. Still, you guys can enjoy wallowing in your misery... and I'll continue being an optimist. It's your loss.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
In the meantime, I could go to games with my mind set that it's going to be crap and to moan at all costs. But I prefer to head along hoping to see an enjoyable game and with a bit of luck (which we haven't had much of this year), we'll get a win. I don't expect us to play football like Manchester United (or even Leicester at the moment) - I just want to see the players give it their best, and enjoy an afternoon's relaxation.

On Saturday, it seemed to me we played reasonably well for three-quarters of the game and were abysmal for about 20 mins either side of Hartlepool's goal, where our lack of confidence was clear to see. The players dug in, and therefore, in a tight match, fully deserved to pinch the points although the result could have gone either way.

And yet there were still plenty of people whingeing incessantly. If I hated watching a team that much, I just wouldn't bother going. Still, you guys can enjoy wallowing in your misery... and I'll continue being an optimist. It's your loss.

Considering I agree with all of the above (save for the last sentence) lumping me in with the 'you guys' is way off the mark and just proves my initial point. Thanks.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Considering I agree with all of the above lumping me in with the 'you guys' is way off the mark and just proves my initial point. Thanks.

Fair enough. Not meant particularly as a dig at you - more at the fans who've given Withdean such an infuriatingly negative atmosphere this season...

I agree it's not time get out the bunting - but hopefully we'll need some next season (or after we win the JPT).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports