inside the mind of paul gascoine

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mani

Jul 5, 2003
brighton
channel 4 9pm

quote from argus
"this film looks at the problems that have assailed gazza,their underlying cause and how they have turned him jnto the tortured indervidual he is"

oh dear,my heart bleeds.
gazza was the greatest british footballer of a generation.a god given talent the rest of us can only dream of.unfortunetly god also gave him the brain of a 12 year old.what should have been a glorious career turned into a hit and miss drunken shambles.
now he seems to be after some sort of sympathy vote.
well f*** him!everything thats happened to gazza was brought on by himself and i for one dont feel sorry for him!:drink:

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
inside the mind of paul gascoine

You could hear a pin drop

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I always got the impression of Gazza is that he was born about 20 years too late - he'd have fitted in well amongst the entertainers in the 70s (Frank Worthington, Charlie George, Rodney Marsh, etc.).

As far as the brain of a 12 year old goes, he always seemed to be most at home and mentally stable when he was kicking a ball around in the streets with Geordie kids.

No sympathy vote from me - he was the principal architect of his own downfall - but then with mates like Fivebellies and hanging around with Chris Evans, he was always going to come off the rails sooner rather than later. And the wifebeating was never exactly going to endear him to the majority of the general public.

Having said all that, I'm still hoping that they show both the Cruyff turn in Italia 90 against the Dutch and THAT goal against Scotland at Wembley. Serious flaws in his character certainly, but a footballing genius nevertheless.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Completly true, however if he hadnt had his serious injuries we would be talking about gazza in the same light as greats such as maradonna etc. If only he was more like Gary Linekar in ways of his personality. Its such a shame he will be remembered for the negative aspects, however for me and many others i will never forget him scoring THAT goal against the sweaties:lolol:

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Having watched the programme I do have sympathy for him. It is easy to be judgmental without knowing the facts. He was traumatised as a youngster by his father suffering a brain haemhorrage, two of his friends being killed, one in front of him by a car. He is believed to suffer from attention defecit disorder, compulsive obsessive disorder and Turets syndrome. Not just one mental health problem but three. The drinking followed from the problems he was enduring as a result of his mental health. In that respect he can hardly be held to have been totally to blame. Some people are less able to cope than others. He is obviously one of them. Very sad for a man of such talent.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Gazza was for a time the greatest English talent ever... he had the same problem that many superstars had, which is that he had too many YES men... no-one dared say NO to Gazza, including his friends and it's that which has destroyed him... I really hope he gets some enjoyment at some stage in his life.

I saw him play against BHA 1983 eleven for Graham Moseley's testimonial and albeit it was against some old sods, his performance and abilities in that friendly were phenomenal... the best individual performance I have ever seen, irregards of the opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports