Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Igor , Dahoud and Fati. What an absolute waste of money.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Not stand-out shit (😂 love it), just shit for me….

Okay on the ball, but defensively from a positional and actual defending standpoint, just poor. He has the turning circle of an oil tanker and is too slow.
I still have shudders when watching him off the ball at Luton. And he pretty much lost fiorentina a European final when sleeping Vs west ham.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
You are ignoring the changes RDZ made tactically and improving players that Potter didn’t like March and Mitoma.
Putting all that down to Potter is being very blinkered.
Potter was gradually bringing in mitoma you can't really include him !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Okay on the ball, but defensively from a positional and actual defending standpoint, just poor. He has the turning circle of an oil tanker and is too slow.
I don't disagree with you analysis of his flaws, but he was a panic signing when we couldn't get Colwill. He's not on the same level of disappointment of Fati is he, and not someone I'd write off as "a complete waste of money". He should've been a backup CB, but injuries meant he played more than he should've.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't disagree with you analysis of his flaws, but he was a panic signing when we couldn't get Colwill. He's not on the same level of disappointment of Fati is he, and not someone I'd write off as "a complete waste of money". He should've been a backup CB, but injuries meant he played more than he should've.
Agree - with all of the above.

I would still offload for half of what we paid if necessary.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Club would have been crazy not to take a punt on Ansu Fati imho. OK it didn't quite work out, but a Barcelona player once considered one of the best young players in the world coming to the Albion on loan as part of his rehabilitation from injury? A player with a lot to prove to his parent club? Grab that opportunity with both hands!

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I think Igor is good. And will get better. There is something about him that makes me think he could turn in to a really good player. I feel like he has thàe determination to overcome his weaknesses (lack of top speed and the turning circle of an oil tanker). Dahoud had quality, but just couldn't adapt to the PL. We know it happens. Fati has, indeed, been a crushing disappointment. That was just a risk that could have paid off in a big way but didn't.

The second half of the season to me has been a story of gambles that didn't pay off, and the emergence of future potential. We were never in danger of relegation, we gained experience of Europe and we have a developing squad that could be really strong in a season or two.

Which all fits as part of the long term plan.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

That’s the proof RDZ chose him. It was great when the goals flowed but I’m pleased we’ve acted before shambolic defending became so ingrained that it would threaten the team’s PL future. I could see us becoming a relegation era Villa/Sunderland style defensive shambles eventually as the confidence collapsed.

Unfashionable but a solid base is what keeps teams in the league long term. Doesn’t have to be boring. Just means you don’t need to score 3 goals a game.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I would add heading ability to the list of things for Igor to work on. Having seen Calvin Bassey, I don't think he looks any better. I think the club may need to make the long term replacement for Dunk a priority. I am not convinced Noel Bigo Atom has the potential to make the step up to first team squad level either.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Club would have been crazy not to take a punt on Ansu Fati imho. OK it didn't quite work out, but a Barcelona player once considered one of the best young players in the world coming to the Albion on loan as part of his rehabilitation from injury? A player with a lot to prove to his parent club? Grab that opportunity with both hands!
He just was beginning to play well in Europe when he got injured

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I would add heading ability to the list of things for Igor to work on. Having seen Calvin Bassey, I don't think he looks any better. I think the club may need to make the long term replacement for Dunk a priority. I am not convinced Noel Bigo Atom has the potential to make the step up to first team squad level either.
I too think Dunk now needs a medium turn replacement. We could have van Hecke and Webster but we need a third who is not Igor.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I may have remembered this wrong, but when we signed Igor, I think we were actively still looking to buy Colwill.

We were recruiting him, while trying to also recruit the first choice for that position

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Fati - a risk that didn't work we shouldn't have done it
Dahoud - mistake..... but there is a player in there perhaps not suited for British football
Igor - mistake - a square peg in a round hole. Good player but entirely wrong for thew way we play and it made him look clueless... will eb successful elsewhere.
Milner - depends how much we are paying him..... if he was always going to eb cover but if not also a mistake.

No idea who was responsible for these signings bit it happens. We can't get it right all the time. Still think we are short an RB, a CB, a GK a DMC and an SC (I'd have Undav back in a flash and wish we had a 100k buy back clause for Gyokeres!). Verbruggen needs time both him and Steele are not premier no1s.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep.

LOTS of aftertiming on this thread.

I wonder if we’ll see @dwayne aeroplane tracking with the rest of NSC if we look back on that thread ???

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yep.

LOTS of aftertiming on this thread.

I wonder if we’ll see @dwayne aeroplane tracking with the rest of NSC if we look back on that thread ???
Probably. But what do I know. In Bloom I trust (apart from his policy of not signing players that want a release clause !)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dahoud - mistake..... but there is a player in there perhaps not suited for British football
He played a part in just 9 games this season before whatever happened with RDZ and he was discarded. I’d like to see him under a different coach before he’s written off completely.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He played a part in just 9 games this season before whatever happened with RDZ and he was discarded. I’d like to see him under a different coach before he’s written off completely.
For sure our new coach will need to assess him and all of the squad. Within the current mess there's certainly opportunity.

But 'whatever happened' was Dahoud being owned by a very poor Sheffield Utd midfield, culminating in a red card. That doesn't feel promising.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here