Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Has Autumn come early this year?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Is it not largely the horse chestnuts which are all diseasedand dying? It is round here. Surprised not more is being made of it.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Charter boat skippers have started to offer 24-48hr Tuna fishing trips,mostly from the S/W/W country ports but a few in Wales are now starting to do the same,whilst still not being caught in huge numbers it's a sure sign the sea has warmed enough for them to show up regularly to these waters for anglers to fork out hundreds of pounds to try for them. At this rate it will be a matter of a few years before we start to see the Tiger and Mako sharks closer to the shoreline. Plus it certainly gets darker at night now :)

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Blackberries were out very early this year. Doesn't the old wives tale suggest that means a long and cold winter?

I believe so, but I'll wait until it's confirmed by the annual Daily Express headline warning of a record-breaking Siberian winter with 4 months of sub-zero temperatures and killer blizzards - usually published about the 10th October :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Charter boat skippers have started to offer 24-48hr Tuna fishing trips,mostly from the S/W/W country ports but a few in Wales are now starting to do the same,whilst still not being caught in huge numbers it's a sure sign the sea has warmed enough for them to show up regularly to these waters for anglers to fork out hundreds of pounds to try for them. At this rate it will be a matter of a few years before we start to see the Tiger and Mako sharks closer to the shoreline. Plus it certainly gets darker at night now :)

What's causing this warming of the seas....all the warm piss and steaming turds which are now pouring into them?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Yep, often the best month of the year. We’ve had mostly rain in August here apart from those two or three very hot days. We have a weekend in Wales booked in September when we hope the weather to be a lot more pleasant.

Spent the first two weeks of August on the Gower Peninsula. Amazing weather - it rained the day we arrived (31st July) in the evening, and then we had 2 more "not really beach weather" days on the whole trip. One of those days was spent at an indoor water park, the other taking a tip on the Brecon Mountain Railway. Beautiful weather and beautiful area.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Blackberries were out very early this year. Doesn't the old wives tale suggest that means a long and cold winter?
I Regularly get a pickable crop of Blackberries most years in July in sunny Worthing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a bit pointless as I believe you are unable to land them....

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
September is a lovely month in the UK. Very underrated.

I do love October as well on a clear blue sky morning and the beautiful colours of the trees. Taking the scenic route through Blunts Wood is very pleasant.

There won't be any mushrooms this year unless we get a very wet early autumn. :down:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I do love October as well on a clear blue sky morning and the beautiful colours of the trees. Taking the scenic route through Blunts Wood is very pleasant.

There won't be any mushrooms this year unless we get a very wet early autumn. :down:

We’ve seen plenty of fungus on our walks recently, which was quite a surprise considering how dry everything was.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Our back lawn is partially covered from the oak tree canopies from the woods behind, we've been here 18 years and I cannot remember having to sweep / hoover up so many dead leaves and twigs in July and August

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Blackberries are out, surely earlier than usual, squirrels are already collecting fallen conkers (an Autumnal thing) for winter. Something ain’t right.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

October and April my fav months. Nothing beats a bright sunny October days with all the trees turning bright oranges and reds. Love it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Trees here have been dropping fruit and leaves for a while as a survival measure because of the lack of water.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Back in the early 1970s when I worked in George the Chemist, Boundary Road, Portslade, for beer and ciggy and gig ticket money, in October, old May who worked behind the counter, having gorged on The Daily Mail, would announce, every day for days on end. "We're going into another Ice Age"

Brace yourselves.....

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Yep, often the best month of the year. We’ve had mostly rain in August here apart from those two or three very hot days. We have a weekend in Wales booked in September when we hope the weather to be a lot more pleasant.

Down here we’ve had just one afternoon of proper rain since June.

Where do you live that has had ‘mostly rain in August’?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I fully agree about the blackberries. Picked our first decent crop about three weeks ago - which I really cannot remember ever doing before.

Our blackberries are usually ripe during the last week of July/first week of august down here on the Dorset coast.

This year they weren’t much earlier to be honest. Bumper crop but small berries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here