Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Glyphosate weed killer could return to Brighton

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I agree. It's a problem generally in society that folks expect everything to be done for them. People in other countries must look at it somewhat baffled. I'd join a road taskforce for something like that.
I look at some restaurants and shops and wonder why they take the trouble to have their windows, etc cleaned but never bother to spend 5 minutes clearing the weeds that grow along the front of their premises.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not sure why the Council/local councillors/ residents associations, etc, etc don’t encourage volunteer days where the more fit and able residents give up a bit of time on selected days to clear pavement weeds, cut back untidy growth around trees, etc and leave the rubbish at council collection points. Id happily do it for elderly neighbours and would be more likely to do it with permission.

Ps - I’d also do it for lazy neighbours because after all its not their property but we all have to use it
You could always join the councils volunteer group the tidy up team :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure why the Council/local councillors/ residents associations, etc, etc don’t encourage volunteer days where the more fit and able residents give up a bit of time on selected days to clear pavement weeds, cut back untidy growth around trees, etc and leave the rubbish at council collection points. Id happily do it for elderly neighbours and would be more likely to do it with permission.

Ps - I’d also do it for lazy neighbours because after all its not their property but we all have to use it
There’s a bit of a split between this and the OP’s content.

We weed the front garden and pavement in front of the house manually but that’s partly because we have a dog and so do the houses immediately next to us.

I don’t want weedkiller anywhere near our houses for that reason, whereas the OP appears to be celebrating its return.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I tidy up stuff around the communal bins now and again and have been on the receiving end of abuse for doing so.

One mad old git assumed that I was doing community service as a penalty for some crime ... that escalated when I told him I was doing some service for the community and the **** stalked me to find where I lived and accused me of all manner of crimes.

Prick.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
You could always join the councils volunteer group the tidy up team :shrug:

I did but there was too much bureaucracy including a training course, storage of equipment, etc etc so I gave it up. Have never seen them clearing pavements and residential areas.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
For the amount of Council tax we all pay I f**king well expect the pavements to be weeded occasionally

There’s a bit of a split between this and the OP’s content.

We weed the front garden and pavement in front of the house manually but that’s partly because we have a dog and so do the houses immediately next to us.

I don’t want weedkiller anywhere near our houses for that reason, whereas the OP appears to be celebrating its return.
I think the council is claiming the new chemical is less harmful, less concentrated and will stick to its target. Nevertheless I wouldn’t want it anywhere near me

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
I did but there was too much bureaucracy including a training course, storage of equipment, etc etc so I gave it up. Have never seen them clearing pavements and residential areas.
They mostly do public parks.
10 minutes a month and we might be able to keep libraries.
I do the front of my house. But half of my street is made up of geriatrics. They can't realistically do the same thing and I'm not spending two days a month hand weeding their houses.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

I do the front of my house. But half of my street is made up of geriatrics. They can't realistically do the same thing and I'm not spending two days a month hand weeding their houses.

I would hope that if you got in touch with your nearest pub they would quite probably do it.

A few sacrificial butter knives and a couple of bin bags.

You'll be surprised.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

So that’s where the council could focus it’s resources IF people got off their backsides and did their own, plus maybe a couple of neighbours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here