Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
OVERSEED THAT LAWN NOW

Someone was asking about seeding a lawn a few weeks ago ?

Just got in from mowing, raking and re-mowing the lawn. Rain and warm weather forecast for 6 of the next 8 days, so get out there and overseed that lawn this afternoon/evening

You have not been charged for this information :wink:

Anyone know where I can get some poppies ?

Good post. I did two hours on my lawn today mowing, aerating and overseeding. Finished off with green mesh netting to keep crows and foxes away from my juicy chafer grubs... nematodes (spring and autumn dose package) ordered online today - hoping to be able to remove netting in June with combination of treatment and natural life cycle effects (grubs hatched...).

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I trimmed my wife's Box today.
A nice cone shape, she was very happy with it, in fact so much so she showed it to Bob next door who was very impressed.
I was very careful but I managed to get my tool right up to the root.
My question is, is there a freely available fertilizer that I can feed into her box, that will keep it looking lush?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean

A nice cone shape, she was very happy with it, in fact so much so she showed it to Bob next door who was very impressed.
My question is, is there a freely available fertilizer that I can feed into her box, that will keep it looking lush?

???
This is why I love gardening:)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

You are Judge Dread and I claim my five pounds :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
OVERSEED THAT LAWN NOW

Helmand Nurseries have good stocks just now.

01C2E2C1-33C8-4AD1-BDB8-47278CE0DFD3.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
OVERSEED THAT LAWN NOW

Someone was asking about seeding a lawn a few weeks ago ?

Just got in from mowing, raking and re-mowing the lawn. Rain and warm weather forecast for 6 of the next 8 days, so get out there and overseed that lawn this afternoon/evening

You have not been charged for this information :wink:

Hi Monty,

Great advice, thanks. All done here, I'm now praying for more and persistent rain over the next week (sorry NSC's sunbathers).

:thumbsup::)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This afternoon I have mostly been:-

- Mowing the lawn.
- Going to Screwfix.
- Buying a cable connector.
- Making two cables I had, the one it once was.
- Finishing mowing the lawn.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This afternoon I have mostly been:-

- Mowing the lawn.
- Going to Screwfix.
- Buying a cable connector.
- Making two cables I had, the one it once was.
- Finishing mowing the lawn.

Living life to the full!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Aquilegia - will self seed pretty much everywhere (not that I mind as I like them)

Thank's yes I like it as well , just read up on it now I know what it is and it says the seeds form in a pod around November just pop open the pod and just lob the seeds into the earth and from 20 seeds you will get at least 1 healthy plant the next spring , lovely stuff .

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Thank's yes I like it as well , just read up on it now I know what it is and it says the seeds form in a pod around November just pop open the pod and just lob the seeds into the earth and from 20 seeds you will get at least 1 healthy plant the next spring , lovely stuff .

In my garden, I'm fortunate to have a range of colours from white through to purple and pretty much every shade in between - they are lovely at this time of year. I've never done a thing with them - they just sort themselves out.

I'm guessing they are closely related as the leaves & general form of the plant are similar, but as you like the aquilegia, you might like thalictrum too - it's another good self-seeder, without becoming a problem:

thalictrum.png

The poppy you can just make out in the background of the photo above is this beast (with some of the darker aquilegia in front):

Poppy.png

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My friend's garden which I look after also has loads of Aquilegias coming up. The ones currently in flower range from almost white to almost black.
Other self-seeders we leave and can't get enough of are Nigella (Love-in-a-mist), Verbena bonariensis, Digitalis (Foxgloves), and Meconopsis cambrica (Welsh Poppies) - probably because she's Welsh?!
They look great popping up all over the place, and provide a little bonus of free extra colour.
In this photo I took yesterday, you can see three fluffy areas of green. They're the Nigella. There's a black Aquilegia behind the chair on the right, and the little orange flowers are the poppies. It's a little too early for the Foxgloves and Verbenas.

Attachments

• Bugsys Garden NSC.JPG
    Bugsys Garden NSC.JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 76

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
My friend's garden which I look after also has loads of Aquilegias coming up. The ones currently in flower range from almost white to almost black.
Other self-seeders we leave and can't get enough of are Nigella (Love-in-a-mist), Verbena bonariensis, Digitalis (Foxgloves), and Meconopsis cambrica (Welsh Poppies) - probably because she's Welsh?!
They look great popping up all over the place, and provide a little bonus of free extra colour.
In this photo I took yesterday, you can see three fluffy areas of green. They're the Nigella. There's a black Aquilegia behind the chair on the right, and the little orange flowers are the poppies. It's a little too early for the Foxgloves and Verbenas.

A lovely garden Jack - is it somewhere up North?

Foxgloves are already out down south... :p

Digitalis.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At 7am yesterday my 4 yard skip arrived, I'm sure the neighborhood was impressed.

I had the intention of filling today with back garden clutter, gates and small wall from the front, plus ideally some shite from indoors.

In 3 hours this morning, me and jnr filled the skip just with the rubbish from the back garden. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here