Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the least subtle attempt of Guerrilla Gardening known to man, in a few months time there may well be a line of poppies from my front door into the village. :facepalm: :lolol:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
In the least subtle attempt of Guerrilla Gardening known to man, in a few months time there may well be a line of poppies from my front door into the village. :facepalm: :lolol:

Looking forwards to the photos!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Tricky one (or perhaps not) for the gardeners of NSC.

This tree was very unwell two years ago. It was crowded by other trees and shrubs and young branches were dieing. We cleared around it and pruned (in the Summer - it has wounds that weep sap, so I assumed cherry/plum family). Last year it was a bit stronger and this year it is looking healthy with leaves on all branches and plump healthy stems.

But we have no idea what it is. No obvious blossom so far (unlike all the fruit trees in the garden). Hard to say how old it is. Only clue is the trunk looks a little like a cherry and so do the leaves. Any clues?

20210505_171903.jpg 20210505_171855.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's a small tree.

Always happy to help a novice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi all,

Apologies for the tangent but I recently recorded a podcast with an expert on gardens
But not THE expert.

Although i am a great admirer of the Pompeiites style:-

Burn it to the ground.
Concrete over.
Never speak of it again.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

This tree was very unwell two years ago. It was crowded by other trees and shrubs and young branches were dieing. We cleared around it and pruned (in the Summer - it has wounds that weep sap, so I assumed cherry/plum family). Last year it was a bit stronger and this year it is looking healthy with leaves on all branches and plump healthy stems.

But we have no idea what it is. No obvious blossom so far (unlike all the fruit trees in the garden). Hard to say how old it is. Only clue is the trunk looks a little like a cherry and so do the leaves. Any clues?

View attachment 136409 View attachment 136410

Prunus family is rather large. Probably have to see what flowers it produces for further id. And then see what it does after that for full id.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

View attachment 136409 View attachment 136410

So much potential with your garden and its flint walls.

Other than restoring the tree, do the borders look great in summer?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
So much potential with your garden and its flint walls.

Other than restoring the tree, do the borders look great in summer?

It was massively over grown when we arrive two years ago. I've focussed on restoring the fruit trees and starting to develop a structure. That wall in the picture is in permanent shade (north side of a 5' wall) so is very subtle with hellebores, epimediums etc. I created a bed on the opposite side of the garden with plants I found all over the place - that's obvs on the south side of a wall (where it is still standing) and mainly perennial. This year will be its first year in full flow - I'm hopeful. Happy to share a pic or two if you'd like.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was massively over grown when we arrive two years ago. I've focussed on restoring the fruit trees and starting to develop a structure. That wall in the picture is in permanent shade (north side of a 5' wall) so is very subtle with hellebores, epimediums etc. I created a bed on the opposite side of the garden with plants I found all over the place - that's obvs on the south side of a wall (where it is still standing) and mainly perennial. This year will be its first year in full flow - I'm hopeful. Happy to share a pic or two if you'd like.

Hi, yes please.

I've found with new or transplanted perennials that they often really take off in the third or subsequent summer, in that they fill out between plants. I guess that they're developing the root system first.

Another great option for the front of the shady border is the fairly low lying Pulmonaria offcinalis - early food for bees from January to June, with nice blue/violet flowers. I buy plants online from nurseries ... far cheaper and you get to choose what you want.

Hellebores I hear are the same as above, they're on my shopping list.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Hi, yes please.

Another great option for the front of the shady border is the fairly low lying Pulmonaria offcinalis - early food for bees from January to June, with nice blue/violet flowers. I buy plants online from nurseries ... far cheaper and you get to choose what you want.

Epimedium is another lovely shade loving, ground cover perennials

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Hi, yes please.

I've found with new or transplanted perennials that they often really take off in the third or subsequent summer, in that they fill out between plants. I guess that they're developing the root system first.

South facing border with perennials. Still early in the season and only in it's second year, but starting to come along. I really am pleased to combine the perennials with the fruit trees - which have come back so well from being straggly, unproductive sad plants.

20210507_092817.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We have flint walls in our back garden, they are the perfect back drop for me. 8-9' on the north side which is good as we have vines on our side and a bell end on the other. the south side is only 4' offering a good balance of light and shade

Mrs Zef has been busy in the front garden, the rear is a building site at the moment, literally kitchen outside until the end of next week . . . . then we can get onto it. front garden.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
South facing border with perennials. Still early in the season and only in it's second year, but starting to come along. I really am pleased to combine the perennials with the fruit trees - which have come back so well from being straggly, unproductive sad plants.

View attachment 136554

Stunning.

I’m interested in exactly that style of gardening. Borders with a load of varied perennials, the occasional shrub, my plan is to also plant some small trees at the back of the borders. With a bias towards native plants, or anything that attracts pollinators.

In effect I have three garden projects, all still works in progress, but coming along nicely and I’m now waiting for perennials to take.

Where I haven’t had the time to plant out a border in time for summer, I seed with chalk downland annuals, also Borage and the biannual Viper’s-Bugloss.

8C5FC734-4CD7-4696-8C60-F9296528743E.png

83BD7D31-5996-493E-B266-D945B3F7980A.png

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

View attachment 136554

That's lovely. It looks exactly like a bit of Kipling Gardens in Rottingdean what with the flint wall and mixed border stylee of planting.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Some of the most interesting posts on here are people sharing their garden photos (in whatever stage of development). Come on, don't be shy.
You've started me off now!
Here's a friend's garden I made over in a butterfly stylee. Before, half-way, summer and spring.

Attachments

• NSC1.JPG
    NSC1.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 52
  • NSC2.JPG
    NSC2.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 50
  • NSC3.JPG
    NSC3.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 50
  • NSC4.JPG
    NSC4.JPG