Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I have this book and can thoroughly recommend it if you're in to exotics, so could be of interest to Coldeanseagull and Green Cross Code Man?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Cornis...0318&sprefix=The+Cornish+Garde,aps,131&sr=8-8

Read it!
I must admit, I don't tend to use reference books in this age of the interweb and I don't buy plants for the sake of it.........:laugh:
Ok, I'm a bit more selective, but when I see a genus I want, google is my friend:kiss:
I'm in the market(when I stop spending my pocket money on other stuff) for lampranthus and delosperma seeds.
https://www.kaktus-koehres.de/shop/
Ispend a lot of time here and I could spend a lot of money, as well!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jnr's finally made it down to the grim northern wasteland of La Jardin du Stat.
It's the home of this inherited monstrous oddity:-

IMG_20200523_145713.jpg

As you can see I got him to roughly dig out some incredibly pernicious raspberry stems, from elsewhere, just to see if they can escape from that.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Jnr's finally made it down to the grim northern wasteland of La Jardin du Stat.
It's the home of this inherited monstrous oddity:-

View attachment 123982

As you can see I got him to roughly dig out some incredibly pernicious raspberry stems, from elsewhere, just to see if they can escape from that.
WLB! It looks like you have already, but this is an every day job for a while until it perks up. It's got two chances!!

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Read it!
I must admit, I don't tend to use reference books in this age of the interweb and I don't buy plants for the sake of it.........:laugh:
Ok, I'm a bit more selective, but when I see a genus I want, google is my friend:kiss:
I'm in the market(when I stop spending my pocket money on other stuff) for lampranthus and delosperma seeds.

If you like Lampranthus, I know where you can get as much yellow Carpobrotus edulis as you can eat! If you cycle along the bike lane by Kingsway Bowling Greens, inexplicably, it has been known for cuttings to end up in people's pockets, from the top of the wall which runs along side it! :rolleyes:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
If you like Lampranthus, I know where you can get as much yellow Carpobrotus edulis as you can eat! If you cycle along the bike lane by Kingsway Bowling Greens, inexplicably, it has been known for cuttings to end up in people's pockets, from the top of the wall which runs along side it! :rolleyes:

Very expensive cuttings!
I'd have to buy a bike, then I'd have to get out there, plus yellow? not a fan:lolol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Read it!

It is rather a shame that the internet has 'spoiled' the particular pleasure of reading about new plants or methods. Even though I only got into gardening at the start of it taking off, there was not nearly as much information available then.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I haven't read that, cheers! Is it general or does it concentrate on say succulents? The description is minimal and the picture a bit poor.

I've taken a photo of the index. I suppose I could do the same for the other 129 pages? :D

Attachments

• P1110120.JPG
    P1110120.JPG
    962.5 KB · Views: 66

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION]. Please can you advise on my Echinacea Purpurea perennials.

I planted them this time last year in a sunny spot, in alkaline soil I’d enriched with well rotted manure, with a mulch. Due to last summer’s endless drought and heat, they required regular watering as they established themselves. The liquid feeds might’ve been potassium based or a balanced NPK, I can’t remember. They flowered magnificently.

This spring (summer weather in reality), some of them are struggling with curled up/crinkly leaves, and look a little stunted. I given them a regular big drink .... as last year.

What’s the issue and what’s the solution, please? There’s conflicting advise on feeding all over the internet:
Not needed at all.
Fish & bone meal once in spring.
Balanced.
Potassium based.

Confused.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
[MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION]. Please can you advise on my Echinacea Purpurea perennials.

I planted them this time last year in a sunny spot, in alkaline soil I’d enriched with well rotted manure, with a mulch. Due to last summer’s endless drought and heat, they required regular watering as they established themselves. The liquid feeds might’ve been potassium based or a balanced NPK, I can’t remember. They flowered magnificently.

This spring (summer weather in reality), some of them are struggling with curled up/crinkly leaves, and look a little stunted. I given them a regular big drink .... as last year.

What’s the issue and what’s the solution, please? There’s conflicting advise on feeding all over the internet:
Not needed at all.
Fish & bone meal once in spring.
Balanced.
Potassium based.

Confused.
Echinaceas are pretty tough old things. Once established, they should look after themselves. You could be killing them with kindness! Cut out all feed and only water when the soil has dried out a bit, then WLB. The leaves you describe may just be like that because they haven't fully expanded yet. Have a look in the "curls" to make sure there's no little beasties pulling the leaves together and check for slugs and snails. Give it a bit longer and see what they do. They don't mind it on the dry side, so leave them alone for a while. If there is no improvement in a couple of weeks, cut the bad bits off, even if you have to go down to the ground. I've just "Chelsea Chopped" mine by cutting them back by half. They can benefit from that. To cheer you up, remember the motto - they've got two chances! Photos are a great help if it's possible to post any. Report back with a progress report in two weeks.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've taken a photo of the index. I suppose I could do the same for the other 129 pages? :D

That's a laugh, montbretia as an elegant perennial??? What a thug!! Also a banana is a herb not a tree
Also, I use latin names, not as a way of sounding smart, but as a way of acquiring the plants I want.
Last year I ordered some chamaedorea excelsia seeds and twice they sent me trachycarpus fortuneii. You see, in that backward country across the pond, the one run by an idiot, they still use the old old name for chusan palm of chamaerops excelsia. They should stick to playing a one string banjo:hilton:
Rant over

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
That's a laugh, montbretia as an elegant perennial??? What a thug!! Also a banana is a herb not a tree
Also, I use latin names, not as a way of sounding smart, but as a way of acquiring the plants I want.
Last year I ordered some chamaedorea excelsia seeds and twice they sent me trachycarpus fortuneii. You see, in that backward country across the pond, the one run by an idiot, they still use the old old name for chusan palm of chamaerops excelsia. They should stick to playing a one string banjo:hilton:
Rant over

I know the bloke who wrote the book. I'll pass on your comments next time I see him! :D He's an extraordinary gardener. He currently manages the gardens at the Cotswold Wildlife Park. Well worth a visit if you're ever that way (restrictions allowing). One glaring fault with him though - he's a Man U supporter!!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I know the bloke who wrote the book. I'll pass on your comments next time I see him! :D He's an extraordinary gardener. He currently manages the gardens at the Cotswold Wildlife Park. Well worth a visit if you're ever that way (restrictions allowing). One glaring fault with him though - he's a Man U supporter!!
I thought the name was familiar. I was given a guided tour of the park by Tim with a group of exotic enthusiasts back in about 2005. He knows his stuff, even the Latin names lol. Very decent fellow.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Of my recently planted herbs a basil plant is looking the most dodgy. Seems fragile and quick to go downhill. Is that normal?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Echinaceas are pretty tough old things. Once established, they should look after themselves. You could be killing them with kindness! Cut out all feed and only water when the soil has dried out a bit, then WLB. The leaves you describe may just be like that because they haven't fully expanded yet. Have a look in the "curls" to make sure there's no little beasties pulling the leaves together and check for slugs and snails. Give it a bit longer and see what they do. They don't mind it on the dry side, so leave them alone for a while. If there is no improvement in a couple of weeks, cut the bad bits off, even if you have to go down to the ground. I've just "Chelsea Chopped" mine by cutting them back by half. They can benefit from that. To cheer you up, remember the motto - they've got two chances! Photos are a great help if it's possible to post any. Report back with a progress report in two weeks.

Cheers JS, so helpful. That all makes sense, they’re a Prairie plant, thriving in the natural environment with no TLC and long, dry summers in the American mid west.

Sorry about the lack of photo .... about 3 years ago NSC seemingly changed where it wouldn’t accept my colour pics. I need to get an app to reduce their mb size!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Cheers JS, so helpful. That all makes sense, they’re a Prairie plant, thriving in the natural environment with no TLC and long, dry summers in the American mid west.

Sorry about the lack of photo .... about 3 years ago NSC seemingly changed where it wouldn’t accept my colour pics. I need to get an app to reduce their mb size!
It's always useful to know where a plant originates so you can get an idea of the conditions where they thrive and then you can imitate them.
One way of reducing the photo size is to open the photo up in any way you wish and use the "Snipping Tool" which you can find if you type that in the search bar, bottom left of screen by windows symbol thingy. (Maybe not on a Mac!). The size of the photo that produces always uploads.
There's a way of posting photos without "Go Advanced" and using the "Manage attachments" tab, but I've never been able to work out how to do that yet.:(

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

IMG_20200524_115132323_HDR.jpgkm

IMG_20200524_115203714_HDR.jpg

Tree/plant Id please. Top one is a medium size tree that came with the house - we have one either side of the garden. Bees love it, hence we call it our "bee tree". Small pink flowers are opening, these develop into berries that the birds feast on (and sh*t all over the decking!).

Other photo shows another plant , again inherited, but what is it?

Thanks in anticipation to you Percy Throwers out there :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here