Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
40d11ee0264d251a5d14e5d7f6d059fb.jpg

Here is my effort. The herb of which I have two plants back left was unlabelled... is it coriander?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
40d11ee0264d251a5d14e5d7f6d059fb.jpg

Here is my effort. The herb of which I have two plants back left was unlabelled... is it coriander?

Looks great. Good job. Can you post a photo of a close-up of the unnamed herb? Without it, I'm guessing French Tarragon. Definitely not Coriander.
One other thing, WLB!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Looks great. Good job. Can you post a photo of a close-up of the unnamed herb? Without it, I'm guessing French Tarragon. Definitely not Coriander.
One other thing, WLB!

Sorry Jack, I'm going to have to call you on the WLB this time. The troughs have fresh MPC, nothing added to make it more free draining, coupled with most herbs don't want to be saturated at the roots.
They look good, don't flood them

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sorry Jack, I'm going to have to call you on the WLB this time. The troughs have fresh MPC, nothing added to make it more free draining, coupled with most herbs don't want to be saturated at the roots.
They look good, don't flood them

Yes. WLB without some currently much vaunted common sense could be disastrous I think. Little and often is I guess the way. When doing it for the first time yesterday it seemed to make sense to water the plants but not the compost in between them... is that right?

Interesting about the mystery plant (photo to follow) not being coriander as ordered. The bloke I bought them from turned out to be quite strange/shifty so I’m not that surprised. It isn’t attractive and the leaf I ate didn’t taste nice so I might change it.

p.s. On looking at this thread I’ve realised that the sage is in the wrong place and needs moving to its own pot.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
a839480a807689b2374f3d8aa0ccabf7.jpg

???

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Yes. WLB without some currently much vaunted common sense could be disastrous I think. Little and often is I guess the way. When doing it for the first time yesterday it seemed to make sense to water the plants but not the compost in between them... is that right?

Here's what I learnt in my training days. With virtually all watering, it's WLB, then leave until soil starts to get dry them WLB and keep doing that. If you water little and often, the water won't get down properly throughout the soil and the roots of the plants will be "looking" for water and could even start to grow upwards, which isn't what you want.
Water the plant and the compost. If the pots are on paving or concrete, wet that too to help create a bit of humidity for a while.
Perhaps a chance for a little experiment here. WLB one trough. Little and often on the other one!

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I’ll go along with that. We’ve got it but had forgotten the name.
I love coriander. It is my favourite herb. That variety is very attractive, it develops reddish markings and spreads well. I used to have a couple of patches but left it out when it was a bit cold in autumn.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's gobbing on my Ceanothus?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!