Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you're going to sow poppy seeds, just give the soil a light rake over as they will only germinate on disturbed soil.

There's not much that isn't disturbed at Chez Stat.

Jnr had turned it over.
Many moons ago the gravel contents of a large fish tank was deposed on the same patch, so that's now been all dug in.
I was a little heavy handed with the seed distribution so it then got a further rake.
Then watered.

All good.

I might actually introduce the climbing rose bush, that stayed in situ at the back of the bed, the wall that's behind it.

I could get used to this kind of gardening.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
If you're going to sow poppy seeds, just give the soil a light rake over as they will only germinate on disturbed soil.

That's not strictly true. It's more a case of one years seeds, seven years weeds. The soil disturbance bit means you will always bring more seeds up to an area that is conducive within their germinating parameters.
Why then, you ask, did the poppy become synonymous with battlefields(exploding shells and such) and the Amex stadium build(iconic picture). The average seed head from most papaver species contains a few hundred seeds plus( ie thousands). Each plant could produce a dozen seed heads. Each year, these are distributed over the soil surface. Natural predation and loss of viability might account for about half these seeds, you're still looking at an infinite number of seeds. Papaver species tend to be sporadic in their germination at best, so disturb the soil and increase the amount germinating at any given time.
That works great for plants that have been distributing seeds for years or even decades, but for first year sowing, not so much. You'll end up with lots of bittercress, chickweed, grass and sun spurge germinating.
Of course, my ramblings might be a conspiracy theory about why you should surface mulch and not dig in the compost.....or I might be totally wrong!

First post on this thread - could the Percy Thrower's on here be gentle :)

Sadly did not inherit my parent's gardening genes otherwise our garden would be a splash of colour and we would have a well tended allotment :) Photo attached shows the nether reaches past the end of teh decking which covers a steep bank and leads to a little stream (more likely glorified drain). We had this bit tarted up last year whey the decking was prepared - can anyone suggest some colourful "plant and forget" style stuff to put in here. Gets a reasonable amount of sun and daylight a.m.

Garden.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yesterday we had Poppy today Laura ...ok Laurel ..leaves looking sad ..but the good news is plenty of new green shoots ..what does the panel think is a suitable treatment

Bob (asking for a friend)
085769B8-52EB-4FB7-B366-3E7C9B347ED5.jpeg

Ps they are growing vertical

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That's not strictly true. It's more a case of one years seeds, seven years weeds. The soil disturbance bit means you will always bring more seeds up to an area that is conducive within their germinating parameters.
Why then, you ask, did the poppy become synonymous with battlefields(exploding shells and such) and the Amex stadium build(iconic picture). The average seed head from most papaver species contains a few hundred seeds plus( ie thousands). Each plant could produce a dozen seed heads. Each year, these are distributed over the soil surface. Natural predation and loss of viability might account for about half these seeds, you're still looking at an infinite number of seeds. Papaver species tend to be sporadic in their germination at best, so disturb the soil and increase the amount germinating at any given time.
That works great for plants that have been distributing seeds for years or even decades, but for first year sowing, not so much. You'll end up with lots of bittercress, chickweed, grass and sun spurge germinating.
Of course, my ramblings might be a conspiracy theory about why you should surface mulch and not dig in the compost.....or I might be totally wrong!

I once worked at a school in Liverpool that unfortunately had a mains gas pipe problem whereby the pipe was completely severed near the school entrance. The gas board ended up digging all the road near the entrance up to re-lay new pipes as they were ancient. It was incredible, for a short time, the road was turned to rubble and yet hundreds of beautiful wild poppies sprung up all around. Dormant under the road for so many years, they were just waiting for their opportunity. I try to remember that when I sometimes despair about the way we treat the planet, nature always (so far) rebounds.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
They are the old leaves. Being an evergreen, they lose their leaves in spring/early summer, as opposed to prior to the winter. A little spring feed like seaweed extract or miracle grow wouldn't go amiss...but that rings true for most things this time of year

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They are the old leaves. Being an evergreen, they lose their leaves in spring/early summer, as opposed to prior to the winter. A little spring feed like seaweed extract or miracle grow wouldn't go amiss...but that rings true for most things this time of year

I’ve not found other laurel ‘hedges’ I’ve planted with so much yellowing ..leaf loss ..I’ll definitely be feeding ...’ever’ green being erm always ...seems some sort of deficiency in the soil

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Yesterday we had Poppy today Laura ...ok Laurel ..leaves looking sad ..but the good news is plenty of new green shoots ..what does the panel think is a suitable treatment

Bob (asking for a friend)
View attachment 122374

Ps they are growing vertical

It looks as if they've been recently planted? My bet is that they have dried out. Water like buggery, then water again. Do this every week for a month.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Great to have a bit of rain for gardens ...downside queues at the shops might get a tad wet
Don't be lulled in to a false sense of security. The rain we've had in Brighton has done nothing apart from lay the dust. Have a scrape of your soil, especially under plants. You will find it's as dry as a bone. My catchphrase on here is becoming "Water like buggery!".

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
First post on this thread - could the Percy Thrower's on here be gentle :)

Sadly did not inherit my parent's gardening genes otherwise our garden would be a splash of colour and we would have a well tended allotment :) Photo attached shows the nether reaches past the end of teh decking which covers a steep bank and leads to a little stream (more likely glorified drain). We had this bit tarted up last year whey the decking was prepared - can anyone suggest some colourful "plant and forget" style stuff to put in here. Gets a reasonable amount of sun and daylight a.m.

View attachment 122372

Although you mention this area gets a bit of sun in the morning, due to the Hollies and Laurel which I assume are staying, it will be quite shady and definitely dry. There are lots of colourful plants to fit this and your criteria. The ones listed here are all suitable.
https://www.learningwithexperts.com/gardening/blog/10-great-plants-for-dry-shade although I've not heard of a couple of them, probably because it's an American web site, but everything applies here too.
There are plenty of web sites for planting in dry shade advice. Find out the distance apart to plant them so you can work out numbers required, then after planting, WATER LIKE BUGGERY at least once a week for this season!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I’ve not found other laurel ‘hedges’ I’ve planted with so much yellowing ..leaf loss ..I’ll definitely be feeding ...’ever’ green being erm always ...seems some sort of deficiency in the soil

As Jack said, they're newly planted? Could be planting stress even though the tops look ok to me

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

If they are dry, DON'T FEED. Plants need to be under no stress when fed, otherwise they will overdose and it won't do them any good. Water like buggery for a few weeks, then feed, although with Laurels, it's holding them back rather than getting them growing!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone got any suggestions for getting rid of moles ? Please don't suggest the sonic repellers because they are evidently useless - I have a picture of one currently in the lawn and a brand new molehill that popped up this morning actually surrounding the repeller FFS.

I've got a gun and a swivel chair so can go full Jasper Carrot if that's the only solution (if you're old enough you'll know :lolol::lolol:)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Anyone got any suggestions for getting rid of moles ? Please don't suggest the sonic repellers because they are evidently useless - I have a picture of one currently in the lawn and a brand new molehill that popped up this morning actually surrounding the repeller FFS.

I've got a gun and a swivel chair so can go full Jasper Carrot if that's the only solution (if you're old enough you'll know :lolol::lolol:)

Apart from the shotgun a signpost showing there where next doors garden is

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here