The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Been working on our prairie style border today. Spent far too much on ornamental grasses but they are very low maintenance and make a big impact once established.

The miscanthus giganteus is over 3 metres tall now

Attachments

• 20230805_140250.jpg
    20230805_140250.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230805_140027.jpg
    20230805_140027.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 55

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Been working on our prairie style border today. Spent far too much on ornamental grasses but they are very low maintenance and make a big impact once established.

The miscanthus giganteus is over 3 metres tall now
that’s a nice looking garden you have there Croydon

This year Ive been working on hard landscaping quite a bit and made myself a nice little bbq hut

IMG_0403.jpeg
IMG_0409.jpeg

Last edited:

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
looks great.
it looks as if you have many plants in pots, how long does the watering take you?
There are a lot in pots due to the plants not being fully hardy so allows me to move around easy for winter.
Watering is not too bad as I have large deep saucers for most plants.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
How do you protect the inside from the outside, particularly on a day like today where it's piddled down and in wintertime?
Polycarbonate roof, all cushions go away in that big green box, tiki bar has a cover. All solar lights and decorations go away under tiki bar shelving in plastic boxes after the summer, aluminium framed rattan furniture has winter covers, tea trolley goes under those covers, bananas and palms are hardy, just the cannas, dahlias and begonias go away to the greenhouse.....along with the cycads.
There is a washing line under there for wet days and we have a couple of cordless fans that get wheeled out when the weather becomes oppressive in summer as it can get 30 degrees c. It's very easy to doze off in the warmth!
Gets put away at the first frost and all back out March ish. This is a personal piece of all the holidays we've had over the years.
I just need to sort out the outside power for the blender(making cocktails) and the wifi (for the amazon lady whose name we won't mention cos she's always listening)to have the background steel drum music

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Polycarbonate roof, all cushions go away in that big green box, tiki bar has a cover. All solar lights and decorations go away under tiki bar shelving in plastic boxes after the summer, aluminium framed rattan furniture has winter covers, tea trolley goes under those covers, bananas and palms are hardy, just the cannas, dahlias and begonias go away to the greenhouse.....along with the cycads.
There is a washing line under there for wet days and we have a couple of cordless fans that get wheeled out when the weather becomes oppressive in summer as it can get 30 degrees c. It's very easy to doze off in the warmth!
Gets put away at the first frost and all back out March ish. This is a personal piece of all the holidays we've had over the years.
I just need to sort out the outside power for the blender(making cocktails) and the wifi (for the amazon lady whose name we won't mention cos she's always listening)to have the background steel drum music
Thanks for the reply. It looks like a lovely place to while away time and relax. I have a verandah which, given that it is attached to the back of the house, is afforded more protection than your setup. However the front is entirely exposed and I've been wondering about some kind of fabric I could hang down from the front of the structure. This would only be necessary for winter.

resized-image-Promo.jpg

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Thanks for the reply. It looks like a lovely place to while away time and relax. I have a verandah which, given that it is attached to the back of the house, is afforded more protection than your setup. However the front is entirely exposed and I've been wondering about some kind of fabric I could hang down from the front of the structure. This would only be necessary for winter.

View attachment 164510
Fantastic! Is that a blue dragon to the left of the dicksonia and whats the climber? Couldn't you attach a kind of screen mesh to the front, it'll diffuse any wind making it a little bit more comfortable on rainy days

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Fantastic! Is that a blue dragon to the left of the dicksonia and whats the climber? Couldn't you attach a kind of screen mesh to the front, it'll diffuse any wind making it a little bit more comfortable on rainy days
Yeah screen mesh may work! i'll look into that.

Blue Dragon? Do you mean the bamboo? If so it's Borinda (Fargesia?) papyrifera, it can be more clearly seen here from late spring. The other picture is last summer. And the climber on the right is a runner bean (lol) and on the left an asparagus fern.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yep fargesia papyrifer blue dragon, used to be borinda, but they keep changing names! I thought it was a runner bean, but I had to check....they're actually quite exotic!
I had a lot of 'original' borindas from the late 90's, early 00's collections . Only got a few now. Lovely plants. Mine has never reached the heights of those I saw in Ness Gardens on the Wirral but they are beautiful nonetheless. The most attractive in my book was lushuiensis which unfortunately died in a hard winter. There is a massive one I've seen in Carwinion, Cornwall which was about 40 feet tall as far as I can recall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here