Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Don't be silly, Chris is asleep upstairs.
He was shattered after today's collections.

Call me a beeist, but they all look the same to me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Call me a beeist, but they all look the same to me.

Chris' jumper is yellow with black stripes.
Colin is wearing black with yellow stripes.

The fella I don't recognise is wearing a black and yellow striped pullover.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Different years see different numbers of insects appearing, but the trend isn't good.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ng-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature
Personally, as a bit of a butterfly lover, this year, I've never seen so many Marbled Whites, but so few Common Blues. Next year could be the other way round. As I've been looking at butterflies for over 50 years, the numbers now are nothing like as many now, of any species.
Insecticides, downland ploughed up for farming and house building have all contributed to the reduction in numbers of insects.
This is why it's so important that everyone does there bit to create habitat for them, normally the simple task of easing off with your mowing is a good start.

One aspect of the decline in insect populations not highlighted by the media is the rise in microwave radiation from mobile phone technology. A quick google on the subject will bring up plenty of information on it. This is a global problem.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One aspect of the decline in insect populations not highlighted by the media is the rise in microwave radiation from mobile phone technology. A quick google on the subject will bring up plenty of information on it. This is a global problem.

They shouldn’t have mobile phones imho

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I should know this ..but I just can’t remember..stem very much like a clematis (but it’s not one) incredibly vigorous almost pernicious growth

83ED42D6-FC29-4AAE-98E2-C0A280486F78.jpeg
F9D85CC5-430B-4217-8FF5-7C4E557C9EFE.jpeg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yeah it's the "old mans beard" variety (C vitalba) that you usually see on railway banks etc. A complete PITA if left.

Thanks for jogging my memory ..had a mental block on it ..I’ve come across it so often ..just couldn’t remember

I was wrong about the clematis bit ..it is part of the clematis genus ..I wouldn’t want to plant it though

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Thanks for jogging my memory ..had a mental block on it ..I’ve come across it so often ..just couldn’t remember

I was wrong about the clematis bit ..it is part of the clematis genus ..I wouldn’t want to plant it though

You won't need to mate, they seed everywhere.

If it's yours or a clients, trace it back to the roots and dig it out. The roots are deep and very hard to get out. Or...trace it back, cut it back at ground level and then spray the new growth with glyphosate. Whatever you do, don't let it go to seed.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You won't need to mate, they seed everywhere.

If it's yours or a clients, trace it back to the roots and dig it out. The roots are deep and very hard to get out. Or...trace it back, cut it back at ground level and then spray the new growth with glyphosate. Whatever you do, don't let it go to seed.

Clients…..It’s covering a chain link fence….across about 20 feet of ground …down a retaining wall …across a small patio to a lower ground floor flat and starting up their wall…..vigorous did i say…understatement! …Flamethrower? :D

I will be cut back to ground level then treated as you say….i have a limited budget on this one and its just one of a few issues regarding this site

I’m still kicking myself for not remembering Old Man’s Beard

To end on something much nicer…..this was at a client i visited yesterday (lean your head to the left to view)

4833ED1C-4B6D-42DD-AF6E-D1D2AB2EA58C.jpeg

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The first of a few:-

Did I Plant This:-

IMG_20220710_120905_034~2.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am pleased that my wife planted a small area in front of the verandah. It has brought a fair number of butterflies which seem to like the planting. Over the last week I have seen Red Admiral, Green Veined White, Meadow Brown, Woodland Brown, Peacock and a Comma.

If you love butterflies (and moths!) and want to understand their needs and help their conservation, then please take part in the Big Butterfly Count.
https://bigbutterflycount.butterfly-conservation.org/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here