Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
SLIGHTLY off topic but one for Jack Straw as it is Gardening related, RH20 seems to have had a massive drop in insects as in almost no flies, wasps, bees and our Roses havent been ravaged by greenfly. Is this happening all over? Car windscreen and Motorbike Visor both lacking in insect splats as well. ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
SLIGHTLY off topic but one for Jack Straw as it is Gardening related, RH20 seems to have had a massive drop in insects as in almost no flies, wasps, bees and our Roses havent been ravaged by greenfly. Is this happening all over? Car windscreen and Motorbike Visor both lacking in insect splats as well. ???
Not many Cabbage Whites about this year either?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Different years see different numbers of insects appearing, but the trend isn't good.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ng-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature
Personally, as a bit of a butterfly lover, this year, I've never seen so many Marbled Whites, but so few Common Blues. Next year could be the other way round. As I've been looking at butterflies for over 50 years, the numbers now are nothing like as many now, of any species.
Insecticides, downland ploughed up for farming and house building have all contributed to the reduction in numbers of insects.
This is why it's so important that everyone does there bit to create habitat for them, normally the simple task of easing off with your mowing is a good start.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Different years see different numbers of insects appearing, but the trend isn't good.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ng-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature
Personally, as a bit of a butterfly lover, this year, I've never seen so many Marbled Whites, but so few Common Blues. Next year could be the other way round. As I've been looking at butterflies for over 50 years, the numbers now are nothing like as many now, of any species.
Insecticides, downland ploughed up for farming and house building have all contributed to the reduction in numbers of insects.
This is why it's so important that everyone does there bit to create habitat for them, normally the simple task of easing off with your mowing is a good start.

Cheers for that, very very few Butterflies seen at Jakarta Towers, we planted a Buddleia specifically to attract them and last year it was covered, this year hardly a one. :down:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey La Jardin du Stat can certainly attract lumberjacks.

Following on from 'Blue' my shuffling 87 year old, who took it upon himself to badly saw down most of my trees, I got a mate of Jnr's to tidy up the stumps and drop one last tree.

It turns out this trainee hasn't used his chainsaw on the ground before and his catchphrase is 'well no-one died'.

'I can bring that tree down to there no probs'.

I was stood behind him and off to the right.
The trunk missed me by mm's and fortunately it was a reasonably bare section of branches that thrashed through me.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Blimey La Jardin du Stat can certainly attract lumberjacks.

Following on from 'Blue' my shuffling 87 year old, who took it upon himself to badly saw down most of my trees, I got a mate of Jnr's to tidy up the stumps and drop one last tree.

It turns out this trainee hasn't used his chainsaw on the ground before and his catchphrase is 'well no-one died'.

'I can bring that tree down to there no probs'.

I was stood behind him and off to the right.
The trunk missed me by mm's and fortunately it was a reasonably bare section of branches that thrashed through me.

Well he has to learn somehow :shrug:

Hope he was wearing the proper gear. Skinny Jeans, Lumberjack shirt, Hushpuppies, couple of Tats and Beard.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I keep a good eye on insect levels in my garden as I have slow worms , newts and frogs.

I did think the bees in my garden were doing well but they do seem to have reduced especially the bumble bees in the last month. Hovver flies seem to be greatly reduced, i normally have loads of them.

Very few butterfies seen this year, certainly a lot less than were around say 5 years ago though i normally get more in september/october when the ivy flowers and they are topping up.

My buddleia is not out yet but I have lots of lavender and other plants to attract them.

two other markers - I have not seen a 'rain' beetle (local name maybe ) this century. I have seen 2 earwigs in the same time frame my garden as a kid was absolutely full of them (used to feed them to the common lizards whose numbers have also gone down)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and this was it 4 months ago.

View attachment 148533

Well the 'labour of hate' is finally over.

Next spring I'll be following [MENTION=12381]croydon seagull[/MENTION] 's guide to growing a lawn.
So in the meantime will just keep turning this area over in order to get the lumps down pre-grass.

IMG_20220703_153520_278~2.jpg

IMG_20220703_153540_430~2.jpg

IMG_20220703_153626_337~2.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now it's time to head round the corner, FFS:-

IMG_20220703_153644_609~2.jpg

IMG_20220703_153656_435~2.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A positive regarding bees.

I’ve a wild area of ‘weeds’, this summer dominated by Linaria purpurea, for 2 or 3 months it’s been busy with every type of bee. Just a moment ago.

34002887-0B82-4F93-9667-2D61A6E7BA1C.png

Then in a border, Betony hummelo have just come into flower and are proving popular. Lovely looking plants too.

49597359-8DF8-44FE-A72A-970470A37002.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A positive regarding bees.

I’ve a wild area of ‘weeds’, this summer dominated by Linaria purpurea, for 2 or 3 months it’s been busy with every type of bee. Just a moment ago.

View attachment 149336

Then in a border, Betony hummelo have just come into flower and are proving popular. Lovely looking plants too.

View attachment 149337

The top one looks like Colin.

Sorry don't recognise the other.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here