Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Food prices at the Amex?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I hardly ever buy food at football grounds.

I might be today after our post Man City experience.

Post game The Boy and myself saved our Saturday tea hunger so that we could bring home some fish and chips. At just after 8.30 on this Saturday night we walked down Boundary Rd to the Athena B.

Me: "Can I have one chicken and chips and one cod and chips please?"
Serving Lady "I'll just check..............................................sorry we can't do that at the moment"
Me: "Are you out of chicken?"
Her: "No we don't have any chips left"
Me: "Wait - you're a fish and chip shop?"
Her "yes..."
Me "With no chips?"

:rant:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Geneva Airport, Burger King prices. A few years back we bought the usual Whopper type meals x 4 …. barely any change out of €50!

Airport CEO …. Pierre Barber.

Warwick Services M40 Thursday 4th November 2021. Burger King meal £9.99. Think that's more expensive than Geneva. And no, I didn't buy it. KFC ripped me off less.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Post game The Boy and myself saved our Saturday tea hunger so that we could bring home some fish and chips. At just after 8.30 on this Saturday night we walked down Boundary Rd to the Athena B.

Serving Lady "I'll just check..............................................sorry we can't do that at the moment"
Her "yes..."
Me "With no chips?"

:facepalm: The famous Athena B without chips.
Does this shop close at 9 and they couldn’t be bothered to fry any more, or just run out?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
:facepalm: The famous Athena B without chips.
Does this shop close at 9 and they couldn’t be bothered to fry any more, or just run out?

Supposedly "cooked to order".

I'd have thunk that 8.30 would be part of the rush but then I'm basing that on pre-kids in some by-gone era staggering out of The Nightingale at about 10.55 and getting some "chips with sore finger" from Sing Li for the train home.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Supposedly "cooked to order".

I'd have thunk that 8.30 would be part of the rush but then I'm basing that on pre-kids in some by-gone era staggering out of The Nightingale at about 10.55 and getting some "chips with sore finger" from Sing Li for the train home.

All 3 chip shops in Newhaven close at 9pm, I definitely remember buying chips late when I lived in Brighton.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
All 3 chip shops in Newhaven close at 9pm, I definitely remember buying chips late when I lived in Brighton.

Can't remember the name of it but there's a chippy on Portland Rd that is open something like 12-2pm, 4-9pm. That seems more like a hobby than a business!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Can't remember the name of it but there's a chippy on Portland Rd that is open something like 12-2pm, 4-9pm. That seems more like a hobby than a business!

Those are pretty decent hours actually, there are a couple in Horsham that don't even bother opening at lunch time.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Her "yes..."
Me "With no chips?"

Flippin eck, that's akin to a pub running out of beer, or a filling station running out of petrol.

Is there a national shortage of Maris Pipers now?

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Overpriced maybe but 'vastly'? You'd pay double that for a burger in a pub and whilst Macdonalds are cheaper they are also crappier

I paid £14.50 for a cheeseburger and chips in a country pub near Polegate the other month. Ok it was table service but even so..... I also regularly pay more for a pint of Harveys in Lewes Pubs than I do at the Amex. So now I walk straight past one on my way to Lewes Station as beer is cheaper at the Amex.

Didn't think I'd ever write that.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I also regularly pay more for a pint of Harveys in Lewes Pubs than I do at the Amex. So now I walk straight past one on my way to Lewes Station as beer is cheaper at the Amex.

Didn't think I'd ever write that.

Do you think the pint of Harvey’s tastes as nice in plastic at the Amex?
I no longer drink but I could never get on with drinking Harvey’s at the Amex after having a pint served in a glass in a pub.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The average shut down time for a chippy in Worthing is 9.30pm nowdays, kebabs/burger places much later but in my day it was standard to have a sausage and chips on the way home from the pub about 10-10-30 ish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here