Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Facundo Buonanotte - SIGNED for 1.8 billion pesos

Dec 29, 2011
I find this SUCH a frustrating thread to read.

He's just 18 (eighteen) years old...

He's already contributing effectively, and scored a great goal... at eighteen years old, for a top 10 Premier League side against some of the worlds best footballers...

He's obviously going to improve in every area of his game. Our coaching team will be working with him in the very areas that the impatient fans in this thread are criticising him about.

I think some people are taking it for granted that we have so many teenagers playing for our first team. It's not usual, we are just blessed with some of the best young players in the world playing for this club.

And Buonanotte is one of the best young players in the world. Just like our other teenagers, he's far from the finished article and will improve all of the time. I remember rolling my eyes at criticisms about Hinsh, also just 18, a matter of days ago.

Just be patient. Like our other teenagers, he will not always do the right thing. Just admire his development as he gains the coaching and experience to become one of the top players in the world, as he inevitably leaves us for an astronomical fee one day.
People aren't being particularly harsh though, are they? What they say is true - he's not too effective, he's a bit lightweight etc. That's not to say he won't improve, but right now hes lacking in some areas.

If we couldn't comment on a player until they were exactly the finished article NSC would be a very quiet place.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
People aren't being particularly harsh though, are they? What they say is true - he's not too effective, he's a bit lightweight etc. That's not to say he won't improve, but right now hes lacking in some areas.

If we couldn't comment on a player until they were exactly the finished article NSC would be a very quiet place.
Some of the comments on this thread have been extremely harsh.

At 18 years old, he's pretty much still a kid. There are some rare occasions where kids are built from a young age - eg. Ferguson or Rooney - but a majority of the kids we will see playing for us will be lightweight to begin with - they've literally not even finished growing.

And they'll make a lot of mistakes. It's so early in their development. The fact that our teenagers make so few mistakes already is testament to their immense talent.

For me, if there's no sign of improvement after a year or so - eg. Connolly - then criticism will be acceptable... but while these kids step up and play at the very highest level, they deserve our patience at the very least during their first season - and all criticism is extremely harsh.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I find this SUCH a frustrating thread to read.

He's just 18 (eighteen) years old...

He's already contributing effectively, and scored a great goal... at eighteen years old, for a top 10 Premier League side against some of the worlds best footballers...

He's obviously going to improve in every area of his game. Our coaching team will be working with him in the very areas that the impatient fans in this thread are criticising him about.

I think some people are taking it for granted that we have so many teenagers playing for our first team. It's not usual, we are just blessed with some of the best young players in the world playing for this club.

And Buonanotte is one of the best young players in the world. Just like our other teenagers, he's far from the finished article and will improve all of the time. I remember rolling my eyes at criticisms about Hinsh, also just 18, a matter of days ago.

Just be patient. Like our other teenagers, he will not always do the right thing. Just admire his development as he gains the coaching and experience to become one of the top players in the world, as he inevitably leaves us for an astronomical fee one day.
Yeah. I thought he was OK last night. No one develops at the same rate. Doesn't have the effervescent confidence of enciso so is going to work a different way. But he was tough in the tackle a few times and did his job unspectacularly. He's not showing anything 'amazing' yet but will take time with him. I wonder if he'd have been out on loan I'd enciso wasn't injured / we weren't in europe

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
How can anyone rate Igor as a 6? He was the best player on the pitch!
You know the player ratings are subjective half the time right? - you only have to look at match threads to see the diversity of opinion on a players match performance and compare the ratings across MSM. FWIW, I think Igor was better than a 6 (BBC rates him as 8th on a 7) but he wasn’t the MOTM for me personally. I think Gross, Mitoma and Hinshelwood had more impact on the overall game.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Some of the comments on this thread have been extremely harsh.

At 18 years old, he's pretty much still a kid. There are some rare occasions where kids are built from a young age - eg. Ferguson or Rooney - but a majority of the kids we will see playing for us will be lightweight to begin with - they've literally not even finished growing.

And they'll make a lot of mistakes. It's so early in their development. The fact that our teenagers make so few mistakes already is testament to their immense talent.

For me, if there's no sign of improvement after a year or so - eg. Connolly - then criticism will be acceptable... but while these kids step up and play at the very highest level, they deserve our patience at the very least during their first season - and all criticism is extremely harsh.
part of the fun in football is specualting and analysing everything. Discussing him on here is no different to opinions that get chucked around the pubs when talking Albion.

I'm pretty sure in person / at the games he has every bodies FULL support and as a fan base we are very good even when players are obviously way off the pace ie Jahanbakash.

There wont be 1 fan who is really hoping he wont be top quality.

It's perfectly fine to comment on what people see . Same with everything in football.

Chill

Stumpy Tim

You know the player ratings are subjective half the time right? - you only have to look at match threads to see the diversity of opinion on a players match performance and compare the ratings across MSM. FWIW, I think Igor was better than a 6 (BBC rates him as 8th on a 7) but he wasn’t the MOTM for me personally. I think Gross, Mitoma and Hinshelwood had more impact on the overall game.
Those BBC ratings are ridiculous... I always ignore them. I would be astonished if anyone actually at the game thought Igor was a 6.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This kid is still TWO YEARS younger than Ali Mac was when he made his debut for us. Two full seasons. Anyone giving him stick should think about that, and how much Ali Mac came on in two seasons with us. Facundo is going to be a superstar.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
This kid is still TWO YEARS younger than Ali Mac was when he made his debut for us. Two full seasons. Anyone giving him stick should think about that, and how much Ali Mac came on in two seasons with us. Facundo is going to be a superstar.
It’s ridiculous how much some fans are expecting from these kids. Ali Mc was miles off a consistent or even effective performer when he started with us at TWO YEARS older than FB.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s ridiculous how much some fans are expecting from these kids. Ali Mc was miles off a consistent or even effective performer when he started with us at TWO YEARS older than FB.

These.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
And he’s had less than one season actually playing for us, when you consider most of his contributions have ( rightly ) been minutes and he didn't debut until February last season afair- plus time out for international duty.

Teenagers develop at different paces too depending on what area of the game is lacking and it’s not unusual for it to happen in spurts. Ferguson‘s progress for example has slowed down a bit this season so far and IMO he needs to get involved earlier in the attacking play to develop his game more but he will also pick up - he didn’t have to come from a South American country in the middle of winter without speaking the language either.

Facu has improved exponentially this season - nobody could possibly think a manager like RDZ would start him in PL matches if he wasn’t good enough - I dont care about the injuries excuse giving him opportunities he wouldn’t otherwise have had - every young player we have will not get better unless they play - some people saying he isn’t good enough to play in the PL, or should have gone out on loan because he wasn’t good enough for Brighton should give their heads a wobble and open their eyes.

Good he is getting some positive affirmation in MSM - shame it has taken a goal for most people to accept his genuine qualities though and that he deserves a place in the squad..

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Highlights:

“"But I decided with my family and my agent. We chose Brighton because we knew it was the best decision. After a year here, I can confirm that, yes, it was the best decision I could have taken. It's an excellent club in every sense and I want to stay here for a long time."

"Brighton is among the big clubs now, always fighting, so I think winning a trophy would be a beautiful thing." And, after the year he has had, why shouldn't Facundo Buonanotte set his sights high?

"I think if you ask any Argentinian, the first thing they will tell you is that we have balls and that we have fighting spirit," he grins.

BALLS.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Mac Allister was actually 22 by the time he came back from loan from Boca Juniors, he’d also made over 100 senior appearances in Argentina. Compare that to Facundo who had only turned 18 the month before joining us and had less than 35 senior games under his belt.

If Mac Allister struggled at first at 4 years older and a lot more experienced then we can cut Facundo some slack given his age, inexperience and the fact he rarely gets to play in his favoured position. He’s still shown enough too believe he’ll develop into a very good player for us.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Mac Allister was actually 22 by the time he came back from loan from Boca Juniors, he’d also made over 100 senior appearances in Argentina. Compare that to Facundo who had only turned 18 the month before joining us and had less than 35 senior games under his belt.

If Mac Allister struggled at first at 4 years older and a lot more experienced then we can cut Facundo some slack given his age, inexperience and the fact he rarely gets to play in his favoured position. He’s still shown enough too believe he’ll develop into a very good player for us.
Very, very much this.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
This kid is still TWO YEARS younger than Ali Mac was when he made his debut for us. Two full seasons. Anyone giving him stick should think about that, and how much Ali Mac came on in two seasons with us. Facundo is going to be a superstar

It's also worth making the comparison to Messi - whilst it's most likely that FB will never reach his stratospheric heights, at this early age his career was not too dissimilar:

Whilst aged 18 (he's 19 in a few days), FB has played 1,033 minutes of first team football (plus tonight and the next 2 PL games), including European competition, and made his international debut for Argentina (started and played 74 minutes).

In comparison, whilst aged 18 LM played 1,414 first team minutes for Barcelona, including European competion, and made his international debut for Argentina (getting subbed on at 64', straight red for violent conduct at 65'...)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The thing is, Facu might go on to be an elite international level player, or he might not. At that age, (unless the player has the glaring qualities of a Messi or Mbappe) it's just not possible to know.

This is the lens through which we have to judge any performance. He's playing because he has potential, not because he's the finished article. Every minute on PL or UEL action is an investment in his future and a massive flashing banner to all prospective signings to say "come to Brighton, you'll get the chance to play high level football at a young age"

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's also worth making the comparison to Messi - whilst it's most likely that FB will never reach his stratospheric heights, at this early age his career was not too dissimilar:

Whilst aged 18 (he's 19 in a few days), FB has played 1,033 minutes of first team football (plus tonight and the next 2 PL games), including European competition, and made his international debut for Argentina (started and played 74 minutes).

In comparison, whilst aged 18 LM played 1,414 first team minutes for Barcelona, including European competion, and made his international debut for Argentina (getting subbed on at 64', straight red for violent conduct at 65'...)

Not sure this is a helpful comparison. They are totally different players. Even at that age Messi was universally recognised as a prodigy likely to become an all time great. Facu is a promising young player who happens to come from the same country and happens to have a similar build and plays off he same foot. The similarities stop there.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The thing is, Facu might go on to be an elite international level player, or he might not. At that age, (unless the player has the glaring qualities of a Messi or Mbappe) it's just not possible to know.
The whole point of the art of talent scouting is not to find the next Messi or Maradona but to spot someone who has the potential to be one.

Facu is a promising young player who happens to come from the same country and happens to have a similar build and plays off he same foot. The similarities stop there.

Numerous young talented CAMs/No 10s get compared to Messi - Facundo Farias has also been compared to Messi as has Fati - usually a comparison played up by Clubs with a view to ‘promoting’ their player with an eye on the transfer market but it puts a pressure on young players too early - (although some get arguably close, like Odegaard) 🙂

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here