Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Facundo Buonanotte - SIGNED for 1.8 billion pesos

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Madness to even think of writing him off at this stage.

I'm sure Buonanotte will be no different. Never forget these lads are still teenagers, and in the case of Encase and Buonanotte (and Caicedo before them) thousands of miles from home, in a completely new country, where they don't speak much English yet. I'd like to think that with a summer of pre-season training, Facundo will be joining the party soon enough.
Absolutely- add to that he returned from the sudamerica sub-20 in January with an injured neck and was pretty much debuting in the first team very soon after.

Communication on the pitch is clearly an issue with players arriving from abroad as we saw between Undav and Facu which led to us conceding a goal - can’t remember which match it was but that is certainly a hurdle - then we have an Italian manager with a particularly complicated and very Euro-specific playbook who was also just learning to speak English when Facu arrived!

It’s no good comparing him with Ferguson either - An 18 year old from the British Isles with BHA academy experience prior to starting in the first team is an incomparable culture experience to a 17/just turned 18 year old from South America arriving to England for the first time in his life and playing first team football within a few months.

He has already proved to me he has the basic talent and potential to be a top player by virtue of his time with RC and his national teams as well as his appearances with us - if he’s looked unsure at times and hesitant, which I’m the first to admit he has on occasion ( but much less lately,) then IMO, it’s a case of acclimatisation within the team and understanding his role and the role of others around him and gaining the confidence to be more assertive on the pitch .

It should be added that at RC he was played in a CAM which is his preferred position and not as an inverted LB. It is certainly not a lack of raw talent though - a talent which under RDZ will be channeled and honed into something special I have no doubt. I think people need to see the bigger picture and be less critical of him Tbh.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Not sure about that if you are saying so for the reasons I think you are - Gilmour plays in central DMF, Buonanotte is an AMF/Winger - very different - I suspect it was more to do with RDZ recognising the strong desire Buonanotte has to continue to represent Argentina and debut for the seniors (possibly even heightened by a sense of being homesick?) - To refuse his requests might have been counterproductive to his development at Brighton which is still in a critical stage - who knows 🤷‍♂️ RDZ seems to be a savvy ‘people person’ so I’m sure he makes decisions that will maximise the potential of his players down the line which in turn is the best decision for the Club.
Gilmour can cover the CM position though, freeing up other players to play the forward roles and cover for Buonanotte being away.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Always remember that the run of young players coming in and hitting the ground running we've had is truly extraordinary.

Most teenagers playing in the PL are unlikely to contribute anything significant. You’re giving them minutes as an investment in their future. That we’ve had the output we’ve had from Enciso, Ferguson and Sarmiento is scarcely believable and is the talk of the whole football world.

Facundo is taking a more normal route. Comes in, not totally there with the pace of the game, comes out. Totally normal for a lad that age.

If you’re thinking of having a pop, ask yourself, what was Solly doing at that age? Mitoma? MacAllister? All were miles off playing at PL level. But they came good.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It is always the right decision to allow players to leave to play international football. Release them every single time.

This summer, we’ll be looking to buy more young players. Their agents will rightly be asking us about our attitude to releasing players to follow their international dreams. They will be comparing this to other clubs. It doesn’t matter if we’re short of players. The bigger picture is we should let him go.

The subtext to this in my view is RDZ is making a point to the club that he wants more players than he has.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
If you’re thinking of having a pop, ask yourself, what was Solly doing at that age? Mitoma? MacAllister? All were miles off playing at PL level. But they came good.
And actually, Buonanotte is widely seen in Argentina as being better than Mac Allister was at that age!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's got 13 minutes, the next time he's on the pitch, and Iif he hasn't scored I'm booooooooing for the rest of his career.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Central midfield includes both forward attacking players and defensive players in RDZ’s heavy MF set up ie CDM/CM and CAM/CM - I see Gilmour more as a defensive/transitional pivot player in central midfield similar to Caicedo’s and Mac Allister’s traditional deeper position. Buonanotte is a forward attacking midfield player who can sub March on the wing (which in RDZ’s playbook means often moving in to a high central attacking position when in possession rather than playing in crosses from width like a traditional winger) or play in a central Attacking role that recently has been occupied by eg. Mac Allister or Welbeck - that’s not how I see Gilmour and it’s not how RDZ has used him unless I’ve missed something?
...but that's it. We were playing Gross next to Caicedo - now RDZ knows Billy can play there he has more flexibility.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think it is a good call to release Buonanotte. He has obviously found it difficult stepping into the premier league mid season. This is an opportunity to play more football, in an environment he is familiar with and hopefully he can come back stronger next season. We have seen glimpses of what he is capable of and there is plenty more to come from him.

Enciso's encouraging performance on the left on Saturday, means that Buonanotte is mainly cover for Solly March, who is not suffering World Cup fatigue, like a few of the squad. We probably have enough back up, including some interesting U21 options like Moran and Peupion to see us through the rest of the season.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Central midfield includes both forward attacking players and defensive players in RDZ’s heavy MF set up ie CDM/CM and CAM/CM - I see Gilmour more as a defensive/transitional pivot player in central midfield similar to Caicedo’s and Mac Allister’s traditional deeper position. Buonanotte is a forward attacking midfield player who can sub March on the wing (which in RDZ’s playbook means often moving in to a high central attacking position when in possession rather than playing in crosses from width like a traditional winger) or play in a central Attacking role that recently has been occupied by eg. Mac Allister or Welbeck - that’s not how I see Gilmour and it’s not how RDZ has used him unless I’ve missed something?
The best way to describe our system is a double defensive midfield pivot playing somewhat like Segundo Volante's and then an attacking midfielder and deep striker.

Gilmour and Caicedo can both occupy either of the defensive mid positions.

Mac Allister and Groß can occupy all three midfield positions.

Enciso, Welbeck and Undav can play the attacking positions as well as others being able to occupy various.

Basically Gilmour playing the defensive role can free up one of the others to play the attacking role Buonanotte would occupy.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Indeed.

Buonotte should be a sub at best. I feel sorry for the kid. Thrust into the toughest league in the world straight away. This is not usually how we operate.
RDZ has said a few times something like: I like him in training now I want to see him in a match"... when talking about Buonanotte and Ayari. RDZ doesn't hang about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here