Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early 1970s colour photos of the Albion...

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Thanks for the suggestion. How is it not the 1971/72 kit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7yrZUds3_A

Shame that this only shows Irvine's goal and not the others in the 2-1 Albion win, one of which presumably was by Ken Beamish (defo the player in the photo).

Albion lost 2-0 at Villa Park earlier in the season, goals shown here (comments say oldest colour footage of Albion and 1st appearance on MOTD):

[yt]rhEoX69rOBo[/yt]

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
With 12 games to go, and having just been de-railed by 2 unexpected defeats, Saward surprised us all by dropping 4 stalwarts and surprised us further by changing the kit.

So Albion wore blue shorts (with the white piping) and blue socks for the rest of the season. More conventional shorts and slightly different shirts (white coller & cuffs were used in 73/74.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Jeez, 40 years ago. My first time in the North Stand at the age of 11. The only game my old man took me to. The only decent thing he did for me, apart from eventually f***ing off!
Never forget the crowd surges, or being absolutley petrified when Willie's goal flew in down the other end. Marvellous scenes indeed. A different age.

fattyjohn

Jun 17, 2011
north roedean
God the memories , i had the no1 ticket for the north stand that day ,i remember we had to buy the tickets at a previous match ,anyone remember what one ?,and that willie irvine goal ,always thought it was further out

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Here's one of the recently deceased Brian Bromley (RIP)...

Attachments

• bromley_large.jpg
    bromley_large.jpg
    665.9 KB · Views: 20

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
...and one of Eddie Spearritt. I'm glad these images are bringing back good memories! Enjoy! :albion2:

Attachments

• spearritt_large.jpg
    spearritt_large.jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 17

May 21, 2004
Preston Park
We had been looking forward to this match for months - in those days there were only two games on MoTD and the other one finished 0-0 so they showed this as the main game - pretty unprecedented for a Div 3 (as it was then) game. Anyone recall who the four dropped players were?.......think John Napier and Stewart Henderson were two of them.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Think that's right - isn't that Sully No 8........and Dennis Mortimer in the background.

I think it's Geoff Vowden not Dennis Mortimer....and Jim Cumbes in goal for Villa - now Chief Exec of Lancashire CC.
I was a Brighton fan, 14 years old and living in Birmingham and went to watch Villa all season. They averaged a 33,000 gate that season in the old 3rd division with 48,110 v B'mouth and 54,000 in a friendly vs Santos - yes just thinking about it, I've seen Pele play! Best thing about the season though...the Albion got promoted !!!
Great memories......but doesn't half make you feel old !

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
super mac super star looks like a woman and he wears a bra!:facepalm:

I recall a different version. The word wasn't star! Look at the state of the Villa pitch in that vid!

This was the second season that I watched the Albion. I had "graduated" from the Chicken Run to the North. Remember the Villa game well. Away fans and Chanting.

Looking at old pics and vids on this thread, no one in the crowd wore a replica shirt. I remember my silk scarf tied to my waste.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Happy, happy, happy days.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Looking at old pics and vids on this thread, no one in the crowd wore a replica shirt. I remember my silk scarf tied to my waste.

I don't think you could even buy replica shirts in those days could you? I made my own replica in about 1974. I had a plain shop bought football shirt, I joined the fan club, bought the badge, and got my mum to sew it on. I should at this juncture point out that I wasn't a UK resident in those early years, and certainly had never heard of Brighton, my 8 year old head had been turned by Jimmy Armfields Leeds United :shame: punish:

271_21927011634_786656634_950809_5466_a.jpg

Those were the days when players wore proper football kits, and were not glorified sandwich board men.

Yeah, but they do make for some cracking debate!

football_shirt_16286_1_0x80x0.jpg

Dodgy shirt

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
You couldn't buy them Phil. I think you started a trend.

I used to wear a Brighton shirt in my 5 a side team. circa 1978

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here