Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Donald Trump 2024

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I absolutely agree, Pence showed a level of basic integrity that those around him lacked. It saddens me that he’s subsequently been treated so poorly by his own party.

It shows how little integrity is left in the current Republican Party that it feels like he’s been pretty much ostracised since he acted to save his party’s soul.

I loathe the rabid, short-term “win at all costs” mentality of modern politics. It drives us down the road of stupid, short term decision-making, when responsible government should be looking not just at what affects us now, but how that will impact our children and grandchildren. I’m not sure many U.K. or US politicians are capable of looking beyond the next election cycle.

Trump is almost down there with Putin imho. In addition to his corruption, racism, mocking the disabled, mocking war veterans and families of the dead, illegal financial dealings, he caused deaths. His lies about the election loss whipped up a feeling of rabid injustice amongst bearded idiots …. people died in The Capitol that day.

This country, I have more faith. The party almost taken over by right wing weirdos will be obliterated in Dec 2024. My instinct is that the path to EU re-entry will start in the parliament after that.

The biggest danger to me in the UK is from social media (not NSC :lolol: ). X and Facebook a cesspit for racists, antisemites, a hard left who imho will try to plague Starmer’s premiership with traps to bring him down.

Hopefully the cerebral rest of the nation will support wise policies, ignoring the noise.

Last edited:

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

Not only that, but also this:

As proceedings in the civil court began on Friday, the New York judge Arthur Engoron asked Trump’s lawyers why “this blatant violation of the gag order would not result in serious sanctions, including financial sanctions and/or possibly imprisoning him”.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Now that the kraken has taken a plea deal and agreed to testify I fear we are close to the point at which Trump unleashes the remaining Proud Boy, 3%er and other paramilitary loons to start the assassinations. Gym Jordan's failure to win the House Speakership leaves him with few alternatives.
One alternative is to flee to Moscow ???

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This country, I have more faith. The party almost taken over by right wing weirdos will be obliterated in Dec 2024. My instinct is that the path to EU re-entry will start in the parliament after that.
There is much talked about the shortcomings of our electoral system. Some deserved, some less so. But IMHO the best thing about our system of democracy is it’s ruthlessness after an election.

If Rishi Sunak were facing an election today and lost, by mid-morning tomorrow he’d be gone. History. Carted off to his real home with a typewriter for his memoirs and a box of his trinkets. None of this fannying around for months in a transition period, which allows a malevolent actor like Trump to find a way to save his skin, just hooked and gone. It’s often underestimated, but when you see this sort of thing thank goodness that’s what happens.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Not only that, but also this:

Fined $5,000

It's a start, I guess?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Trump is almost down there with Putin imho. In addition to his corruption, racism, mocking the disabled, mocking war veterans and families of the dead, illegal financial dealings, he caused deaths. His lies about the election loss whipped up a feeling of rabid injustice amongst bearded idiots …. people died in The Capitol that day.

The biggest danger to me in the UK is from social media (not NSC :lolol: ). X and Facebook a cesspit for racists, antisemites, a hard left who imho will try to plague Starmer’s premiership with traps to bring him down.

Hopefully the cerebral rest of the nation will support wise policies, ignoring the noise.
I really just can't believe pretty much half the population thinks its the interests of their country to have him as President.

A year ago all the talk was it would be good for Biden if Trump came through as candidate and he will be sure to lose, now we talking he has a realistic chance of winning. Its like America has been convinced he was never that bad after all

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I really just can't believe pretty much half the population thinks its the interests of their country to have him as President.

A year ago all the talk was it would be good for Biden if Trump came through as candidate and he will be sure to lose, now we talking he has a realistic chance of winning. Its like America has been convinced he was never that bad after all
I'd dispute "pretty much half" claim. He never got anywhere near half the popular vote, losing twice in fact. He got about 46-47% of the popular vote in elections with turn out around 60-66%. So really, less than a third of the population.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is he dead yet?

Please would someone bounce this post when he is. There has been too much equivocation on the matter.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd dispute "pretty much half" claim. He never got anywhere near half the popular vote, losing twice in fact. He got about 46-47% of the popular vote in elections with turn out around 60-66%. So really, less than a third of the population.
Pretty similar to Thatcher then.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I know elections don’t work like this and I’m including kids, but I take comfort that only 74m out of 333m supported him or 22%. Pre; his criminal, seditious, corrupt self was exposed!

The 74m would be absolute peak, as GOP are a rich and well oiled machine. Every conservative or right wing adult is a registered voter who physically votes.

Tens of millions of those are lifelong Republicans, decent people, not racists, but it’s in their DNA to support a lower taxation/entrepreneurial party, smaller government, there are millions are Latino’s who loath Castro so feel an affinity with an anti left party. Many loath Trump, but it’s the lesser of two perceived evils.

Whilst vast numbers of the poor, black folk, ethnic Mexicans are disenfranchised, not registered to vote. Some right wing state administrations put obstacles in the way of these people.

If non-GOP forces could just get their electoral act together, tw@ts like Gym Jordan would never have an ounce of power ever again.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
True, but she faced two other serious opponents. So winning an outright majority was always going to be tough. Trump only faced one opponent and still couldn't even get a plurality of votes, let alone a majority.
Even against Biden, who doesn't seem entirely with it all the time.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
True, but she faced two other serious opponents. So winning an outright majority was always going to be tough. Trump only faced one opponent and still couldn't even get a plurality of votes, let alone a majority.
Rubbish - there hasn't been a viable 'third party' in this country for ..... well, pretty much ever. The nearest the Lib Dems ever got (or ever will get) to power is by sacrificing their principles and joining the Tories as a very minor second party in a coalition (essentially Tory) government.

As a threat to anybody? - not in a million years!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I hear you, but 46-47 percent of pretty much half of those who turned out.

The Republicans haven’t had the popular vote since George Bush senior but the flawed system keeps letting them win.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rubbish - there hasn't been a viable 'third party' in this country for ..... well, pretty much ever. The nearest the Lib Dems ever got (or ever will get) to power is by sacrificing their principles and joining the Tories as a very minor second party in a coalition (essentially Tory) government.

There has been four different occasions of a LibLab pact.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

In 1987, Thatchers third and final election, the Liberal / SDP alliance (the proto-Lib Dems) got 23% of the vote. Labour got about 30%. They were about as viable as Labour.

In 83, they had 25% of the vote.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In 1987, Thatchers third and final election, the Liberal / SDP alliance (the proto-Lib Dems) got 23% of the vote. Labour got about 30%. They were about as viable as Labour.

In 83, they had 25% of the vote.
Exactly - absolutely no viable threat in a first past the post system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here